Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Tutorials Before asking others a question look here for possible pixel-art tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lucifrette (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Highlighting & Contouring a Palace Doll Face - 04-08-2016, 12:58 AM

Contouring and highlighting are a huge right now. It's a makeup trick that has been around for decades but hasn't received a lot of attention until now. So why shouldn't our palace dolls get the same!?

For this tutorial I will be using GIMP 2, and a doll I put together from the ~Young Blood personal doll maker but this can be applied to any palace maker and any editing software (even MS Paint).

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR ANY OF THE PROPS USED TO MAKE THE DOLL. I AM JUST DOING A SIMPLE EDIT
I also changed her lip colour to a dark red

-------------------*-*-*-*-*-------------------

STEP ONE
Open your saved doll image into your editor of choice. Zoom in a good way so the pixels are decent sized. For me I chose 1600, but feel free to find what works for you.

STEP TWO
Using the eyedropper tool, click on the middle tone colour. Some heads do not have this so just click on the outline colour and lighten it a few shades.

STEP THREE
Using the pencil tool (and a 1x1 pixel size if using GIMP, PS, PSP, etc), place a few dots where the underside of the cheekbones would be like so.

It should look something like this:

cont. in first comment

Avi made by me
Want me to make you one?
Click here
Sig made by D3SP0

♥♦♣♠
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lucifrette (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-08-2016, 01:03 AM

STEP FOUR:
Using the eyedropper tool again, select the main skin tone.

STEP FIVE:
Click on the current colour swatch
ie:

and go a few shades lighter. My doll has the generic flesh tone so feel free to use the hex code for the colour I used. (FFB177)

Cont. in second comment

Avi made by me
Want me to make you one?
Click here
Sig made by D3SP0

♥♦♣♠
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lucifrette (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-08-2016, 01:22 AM

STEP SIX:
Using the pencil tool again (with same dimensions), put some dots above the contour and a vertical line for the nose highlight like so.

It should look something like this:

STEP SEVEN:
Zoom out to 100% and make sure it looks ok. If it doesn't, go back in and play around with colour and/or placement until you find something that works.

AND YOU'RE DONE!

Before & After

I hope this helps and you like it! If you have any questions feel free to post them below. Also if you would like to know how to highlight & contour with blush, then let me know as well. : )

Thank you for reading!

I can't wait to see your work!
-Kriz

Avi made by me
Want me to make you one?
Click here
Sig made by D3SP0

♥♦♣♠