Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Tutorials (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/tutorials/)
-   -   ..:Glitz Doll:.. (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/tutorials/23445-glitz-doll.html)

eros 07-09-2013 05:43 PM

..:Glitz Doll:..

I'm going to show you how to make a "glitz" doll. What's a glitz doll you may ask? Glitz dolls, what I call them, are mainly for contest use. They have a background, a beautiful doll, a frame, and of course GLITTER! Glitz dolls typically get higher ratings in the contest section because they look like a lot of hard work was put into them. And you don't have to have any fancy programs to make them (although they can be helpful.) I will use MS Paint and Free Online Image Editor . Here are a few examples of Glitz dolls.

Let's begin this tutorial! Look around in the contest section for a contest you would like to enter. Here's one that sounds fun!

eros 07-09-2013 05:53 PM

To begin, open up a new document in MS Paint. Go ahead and save it as ZooDoll in PNG format.

You'd think we would start off with building the doll, right? WRONG! First I'm going to find some animal props because that's what I will be basing my doll off of. Try and pick an animal that can be found in a zoo! You won't see any dragons or dinosaurs in today's zoo unless you want to go for a medieval/prehistoric type of doll, but I'm not going for that.

I've decided I want to use pandas, cause they're adorable! TIP:Always find more than one prop to use. It adds more to the doll or if one prop doesn't work out you have backup.

Now it's time to work on the doll! Since pandas are black and white the clothing of my doll will be also. I put together this outfit and head on Styledollz Cat Lover maker.
I'm going to go ahead and save my doll. TIP: It's always good to save before you're going to do some extra work. I want to add more in depth shading and fix the pose of the doll. Can you spot the differences already? All I did was add another shade to the skin, shade the eyes, and put more color on the lips.

eros 07-09-2013 06:02 PM

I want to change the pose so I chose one with her arms folded over her chest. I copied a part near the shoulders and pasted, then I added the pose to the doll and put the shoulder piece on top of it. Looks funny doesn't it?
This where I start improvising. I fix anything that can to where I can get it to look like this.
This step may take a few minutes, but your pick color and eraser tool will come in handy. See my coloring change thread http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/t...-ms-paint.html .

I want to add one of pandas to the doll, as if she's holding it. I copy/paste the panda into her arms.

eros 07-09-2013 06:56 PM

I have all the pieces the way I want them, so now I make a green box (of a color not used on the doll) and put all the doll items on it like so making sure the white parts are not transparent.
See now when I would have pasted them on a background the white would have been transparent. Remember my color changing thread? I use that method except I make the second color a little darker than true white.
I make sure not to go outside the dolls outlines while recoloring. Once I've finished that, I get rid of any leftover green. The doll is transparent proof!

It's background time! Pandas love bamboo so my background will consist of that. (I normally go for 3D backgrounds, but pixel is fine too.) To check if the background is the correct size to glitter, put a red box around it, approximately 250x250. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS EVERY TIME BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR DOLL TOGETHER OR ELSE IT WON'T GLITTER CORRECTLY!!!! It's small enough so I'll assemble my doll and animal props on the BG. Notice how I didn't use the large panda? It didn't fit, but I had a spare.

I make a lot of my own frames, but majority of them are 250x250. I need to resize one to fit on the doll correctly.
I didn't make this one, but I like it. It's easier to resize frames if they're sqaure-like. TIP: Frames are easier to glitter when they're brightly colored, and when the color is not used on the doll. The area the fills in the space around it makes it easier to transparent it.

eros 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

I'll save my doll to where it is as small as it can be, without cutting off the doll.
Now go to Free Online Image Editor where I will add font and glitter!

Some glitz dolls have font with sayings or I just do it to tell people what they're looking at XD After I've uploaded my doll I go to 2013 and glitter text. I decided to put Panda Exhibit. Go back to Wizards and select Add Glitters.I find a fill and select replace colors and select the frame.
We're almost done now! Click on Transparency and select replace colors and click the bright pink. I save my doll in GIF as PandaExhibit and submit to the contest!! VIOLA!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Credit:
Contest, Pandas, and Frame LancasterPrincess
Doll Outfit and Head Styledollz

belladoggy 07-10-2013 01:12 AM

Not that I need this, but kudos on the fantastic idea and excellently put together tutorial! I can only imagine all the work that went into making it, especially since I still have to finish my GIMP glitter tutorial. Again, great job on this!

LancasterPrincess 07-10-2013 11:08 AM

Wow-y WOW, you are fantastic at creating tutorials!

eros 07-10-2013 04:49 PM

Thanks girls! :D I just figured since there wasn't a tutorial about this yet, why not make one.

D3SP0 07-23-2013 03:20 AM

Wow!! Thanks for making this. I've always wondered how those really pretty dolls with backgrounds were made. Now I know! I'll have to try it myself sometime.:smile: