Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rand0m_em0_girl_

Default Detentions. Do they really help? - 11-15-2008, 02:26 AM

I don;t think detentions help in my opinion. I mean, so what you missed a lesson or forgot your homework or flung something at the teacher. Whats your opinion on detentions? Do you think they seriously mean anything?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM

I think that over things like missed lessons and forgotten homework, a teacher should use that to either give that kid the missed lesson or explain the homework. As for flinging something at a teacher, you shouldn't get a detention; at my school that's liable to get you expelled for battery on an employee. O_o

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM

If you don't want to get detention, then don't break the rules. It's fairly straightforward. In any case, school punishments like writing lines or having to stay after school are to teach you the consequences of your actions; ie, what happens in the real world. If you throw chalk at a policeman, believe me you'd get a lot worse than having to write, "I must not misbehave" twenty times. O_o

(#4 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 11-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Detentions. Havn't got one, YET.
*Gulp*
I'll come back and say something more constructive if I ever do get one, but still. I agree with wolfie about the homework and lesson missing stuff. a detention isn't going to make the student magically know it, it's just going to raise the student's resentment for the school. High resentment leads to kids bringing in guns and murdering their class or commiting suicide.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM

With respect, that's rubbish. So teachers shouldn't ever punish kids, just in case they decide to take out their resentment on everyone else? School shootings are nowhere near as common as the media would have you believe, and anyone who tries to commit suicide over something as petty as being given a detention obviously has serious mental issues and could benefit from therapy.

If you throw something at a teacher, bully someone, or break another serious school rule, then you will be punished as you deserve. As for missed lessons and forgotten homework, it should be on a sliding scale; as in, happening just once or twice is forgivable; however, someone who regularly skives off class or doesn't bring their homework in is flouting the rules and should be punished.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Xx_Pixie_Dust_xX (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: Not Rated
Lightbulb 11-15-2008, 06:28 PM

I don't think i've ever had a detention, but i've had to write lines once in grade two because of my friends dumb actions. I just happened to be there and got in trouble too. -.- Detention is nothing serious or anything to worry about. In my opinion it's pointless. All you have to do is sit quietly or do work for a recess or two. At my school, if you don't do your work 2-3 times in a row or are failing, (or have failed a test) you get a call home.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 11-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Detention, to me, dosen't teach you anything. You just sit there. How is that supposed to magically make you stop doing bad things? Like Miranda said, if you don't want em', don't earn yourself one. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
rand0m_em0_girl_

Default 11-27-2008, 02:07 PM

You all make good points, but I still don't think they help. As wolfie adi (sorry if i spelled it wrong) they can't magicaly help you. I just wanted peoples opinions on what you think of detentions. :]
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM

They're not meant to help you, they're meant to dissuade you from breaking school rules. You think people are sent to prison to help them when they break the law?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Emo_Girl, nowhere in my post did I say ANYTHING about help. Please re read it. -.-

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm