Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

View Poll Results: Yay, Nay, or whatever?
Yes! 2 12.50%
No! 12 75.00%
I don't really care. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default Year-Round Schooling: YAY! or NOO! ? - 07-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Okay, I recently found out the governor of West Virginia, Joe Manchin, is contemplating a state-wide shift to year-round schooling. Meaning, we go to school for awhile, then have 2 to 4 weeks off.

DO NOT WANT.

Around where I live especially, the weather is completely unpredictable and to be honest with you guys, I want to KEEP my summer vacation because I don't want to go to school when it's 90+ degrees Farenheight and humid and storming. My school has NO air conditioning whatsoever in half of the buildings, and everybody will be miserable when it hits August and July if school does shift to year round.

Sure, there's all those studies they'll have to do, and probably by the time they decide, me and bro'll be out of the system, but if they go ahead and do a massive jump, what the heck is the high school supposed to do? We just finished getting used to a totally new grading system, completely whacked up period/block system; what'll happen if we have to switch in November?

A lot of people say that with year-round schooling, teachers don't have to cram anything. Uh, wrong! They've got, what, a month to teach you stuff you probably already know, and they end up cramming it all in our heads anyway because there are students who slow the class down on purpose to annoy the teacher.

What's your guys's opinion on this? And I don't want any "OMGLOL YEAR ROUND IS AWESOME" or "OMGLOLO THIS THREAD SUX QUIT BEING PARANOOOIIID" posts. I'm serious, I want the good and the bad of this type of school system.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-23-2008, 07:00 AM

Well, that would suck in Canada. Especially in the areas that have drastic weather changes from Winter to Summer, then places in between.

The good news is that you wouldn't have to wait the whole year for ONE major break.

The bad news is what if the weeks you were to get off would be terrible (too cold, too rainy, etc). It'd be a bit of a waste.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM

I would HATE year round schooling. I'm sure that almost everyone would. And plus, that leaves hardly any time for vacations during the summer.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xomusicluvaa (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via AIM to xomusicluvaa
Default 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

they were thinking about doing that in parts of my state too. they decided not to though.

i think the idea of year round school orriginated in jappan *i heard they go to school year round there* and how theyr getting smarter and we may need to compete with them. but kids need there break and without one we'll be irritable and restless. and i so agree with you about the whole its hot thing. and plus if they wanna do that they gotta at least put resesses back into high schools and middle schools for breaks to study and just relax.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xNicole (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM

Not so fond of that idea.My school doesn't have air-conditioning and we would sweat like pigs.>.< being hot doesn't help to stay focused with what your doing and some people et cranky.eep.O.o ....the weeks off sound good but if it turns out that there was a blizzard or someone died that week...it wouldn't be such a great break now would it?

AVVIE:ME :P
Hey! It;s Nikki( xXx_cute_nikki_xXx) Had me as a friend?
Add me ;P

SUPER JUNIOR <3
Ryeowook ;P
gahh fan attacks.;P
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomusicluvaa View Post
they were thinking about doing that in parts of my state too. they decided not to though.

i think the idea of year round school orriginated in jappan *i heard they go to school year round there* and how theyr getting smarter and we may need to compete with them. but kids need there break and without one we'll be irritable and restless. and i so agree with you about the whole its hot thing. and plus if they wanna do that they gotta at least put resesses back into high schools and middle schools for breaks to study and just relax.
That's practically impossible at my school; they took away study hall and recess because "kids don't know how to behave". So basically, we're never getting those back and that's another reason why year-round schooling would be very bad at my school.

But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#7 (permalink))
Old
delly1 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 19 Votes / 4.53 Average
Send a message via MSN to delly1
Default 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM

wait till you all go to college and or university where it would be in your favour to go all year round. Its hard I know to go from ten months to twelve months but maybe the days will be shorter? Possibley you the students could comprimise with your school district that it would be best to have a 3 days weekend in lou of losing your summer vacation. I understand where you all are coming from being in a highschool with no air conditioning either I could get all your points. I hope for you wolfie it doesnt fal lthrough because thats a reall dum idea. for example my friend in Beijing goes to school in the summer and the kids dont have the choice. Its not like o0o dear I have to go to summer school cause my grades are crap its like o great I have to further my studies. But during their summe rthey just shorten the days meaning that school is only like 3 hours depending on what your taking and what grade your in. I believe myself that having time off helps us get back into the swing of things as apposed to have like 365 days of peer torture. I was goign to choose on going to school in the sumer to get ahead per say but kinda glad I didn't but it should be more of a choice not a have to for its your education and not theirs and if you believe more time betters your chance in doing well then so beat it but if not then leave us kids alone shakes fists:P

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM

It's not just our school district, it's the whole state. X_x Some schools (most are privately owned religious schools, but there's one or two public schools) already go year round, but only because the parents WANTED it bad enough they kept their kids out of school until the schools got it put in.

Halestorm
(#9 (permalink))
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM

I think it could be both good and bad.

It would be good because we would got to school for two weeks and then have a two week break. That would also mean that we could vacation at different places at different times of the year. Meaning that the kids wouldn't have to miss a couple days of school nor would our parents have to work around both THEIR work schedules and OURS-which is completely nuts.

It would be bad because that means that we would be going year round, which would completely stink. For some areas, summer is a major time when the weather is dangerous or completely whacked up. It also means that if we would miss a week due to weather, then how would we make it up?

I guess its just a personal preference and if it does happen, it does whether we like it or not.

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Dolly_mae (Offline)
Silent

Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM

I am still going to traditonal but yearround is not that bad..well some people say.. Its like 8 weeks of school and 3 weeks off then either dec. or jan. you get a month off.

<3 you

Yeh,I said it watchagonna do?