Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

View Poll Results: Yay, Nay, or whatever?
Yes! 2 12.50%
No! 12 75.00%
I don't really care. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
silvercyclone (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 1 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

I say Yes!, because, my school's teacher suck...
We walk into the classroom with our, say advanced math teacher, asking us what remeber from last year. ???. Nothing. Zip. And it is probably because our algebra II teacher only concentrated on getting us ready for state assessments. Like the principle told him to...

So I learn nothing, take a 2 month break, forget everything, go back to school, start over. My school is in a trial phase anyway. Laptops, no laptops, block scheduling, Abc scheduling. I don't know what to do!!! I do think year- round would help.

And I live in Kansas. Nice weather XD

Seek ye first the kingdom of God...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Darth_Fishy

Default 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM

i agree with the all year round. maybe it's just me but i actually like to learn some of what their teaching at school.it might be somewhat less stressful all year b/c then you would never get out of the habit of doing work, yeah it would be a bit of a culture shock for most people but then you might remember what you learned from the previous year. you could either finish in half the time it would take you normally or take more college counting credits in high school with all the extra time you have in class, depending on how the system works of course.

*sorry i didn't intend to write a novel*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Danica_Shardae (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 3 Votes / 4.67 Average
Default 08-23-2008, 08:56 PM

It would be very hard for me to get use to because I have always had breaks during every single one of my years in school. And besides, if I had to go to school year-round, I wouldn't have been able to go on that cruise I went on with my boyfriend and family! Let alone, any vacation.

I'm still here, I just don't post AS OFTEN.

Check me out:
DeviantART
Tumblr
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Pigeons (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: Not Rated
Default 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM

We manage OK in the UK, but then the good weather normally hits when we're in school e_e Ironic.

6 weeks off for summer (of course that gives us time for holidays!)

1 week halfway through October

2 weeks Christmas

1 week February

2 weeks Easter

1 week May/June

And back to the beginning again xD
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Summer school's original purpose was this: because children had to stay home and help their parents with the harvest. Seeing as that is basically no longer a part of our culture, I don't see much a point in keeping summer school. I'd rather have a bigger break during the winter holidays then sitting around at home during summer.
As for physical activity during the heat, well there should be indoor activities and/or swimming for PE. I live in the desert, I know heat and its not unbearable to be at school during it. I had summer school and it was fine.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

But for people who haven't lived in a desert area the heat is really bad, especially when high heat is really unusual. Plus, some schools are too cheap to actually get an indoor/outdoor pool, and then there's the problem of girls bringing in super skimpy bathing suits to swim in; me, I swim in clothes. Well, try to. XD

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Schools would definitely have to accommodate before making the switch. I'm sure girls & guys would have to wear an appropriate standard swimsuit ordered thru the school, like regular PE clothes.
We're definitely a long way off from making the switch but it would definitely be a good one. I'm sure if I was still in high school I would probably disagree, but I'm looking at this without that bias

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde
(#18 (permalink))
Old
LillyAwesome (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM

I think that it would be bad but good at the same time.

Good: Every time kids get summer break, they go three months with out learning anything, then when they need to get back with it, its too hard.

Bad: When would we get to go on vacation?

Good: Sometimes its overwhelming to go to school a month in a row with only weekends. We could have a break more often, but for that we would have to go year-round.

(I just hope the president or anybody that rules over schools doesn't find this thread....)