Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#81 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM

It's really hard to believe that I'll be going to college in 3-4 years. My brother is heading off to college next week. But, he's fairly close to home. (3 hours) At least he's still in the same state!
Anyways, I've been trying to think of other colleges besides the Art Institutes. Mostly because someone told me it's pretty dang expensive! I'm thinking about something along game-art/graphic design, but lately I've also thought about comic artist and perhaps even interior design. LOL all about design!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#82 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-05-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm doing interior design! Super fun. ^_^

Also, can I mention something...?

TUITION IN NORTH AMERICA IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!

Being a Canadian, I'm used to paying for most of my services via taxes. Tuition should be free for those who qualify. There are scholarships for good grades, yes, but they don't cover much (hubby got $500 - just enough for books) and...

** PLEASE, NOBODY TAKE OFFENSE, BECAUSE THIS NEXT BIT MIGHT SOUND DISCRIMINATORY **

as a Caucasian Canadian, many of our non-grade based scholarships do not apply to me anyway. I have seen some for pretty much every other race, and many for students from immigrant families as well. I understand they might not have the same opportunities as the majority, but giving away money makes it seem like white Canadian families are all well-off enough to pay for their kids to go and it makes me a little annoyed because both my family and my hubby's are lower-middle class and can't afford to send us (we must pay 100%), but we don't qualify for many scholarships.

Luckily, bursaries (money given by the government to students of lower-income families that never needs to be paid back) exist, or we probably couldn't afford university tuition. Last year, his tuition was over $8,000. It increases every year until it's $10,000 in his final year. It's a 5 year program. It'll end up costing over $40K - JUST FOR HIS. O_O

The government wants everyone to go to school, right? So why so expensive? Not everyone can afford schooling at this price. It needs to be lowered.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#83 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-06-2012, 12:50 AM

I know what you mean! My brother is going into Pharmacy school, and he did not get any scholarships at school! And he's a pretty smart kid. I've heard that students going into pharmacy may have trouble getting scholarships. My parents were really ticked about that.

(#84 (permalink))
Old
Blondie (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: Not Rated
Default 08-27-2012, 03:58 AM

I am currently going to Washington State University College of Nursing, im in my second semester (WSU is about $5000 in just tuition a semester). Before WSU i went to a community college for 2 years and got my AA (which i paid for all by myself!) then went to Eastern Washington University for a year (where i had to take my first loan and my parents had to pay the rest... $15,000 for tuition, room and board for a year).

I totally agree with you about tuition costs! Its crazy expensive to go to school. We have similar financial help that comes from the government called a grant, that you dont have to pay back, but lucky me, doesnt qualify for any. My parents make enough money that all I... yes because how much money my parents makes has to do with me... all I get offered are loans that a crew interest the entire time im in school! My suggestion is to go to a community college and get an AA (or direct transfer degree) and then move to your specialized college for however long you need, i saved a bunch of money that way!

Rachel, I have a friend doing graphic design and she absolutely loves it, and she i really great at it, i think you would be too, since you already used editing programs and stuff!
(#85 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Tristan, I didn't know you went to community college! I feel less alone now

It's true; I'm saving literally thousands of dollars. And last time I checked, I was in the same FAFSA boat you are (i.e., we're poor, but not quite poor enough to qualify for the kind of aid we/I can afford. Stuck between a rock and hard-place :/ )

My goal is to get my AA this spring.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Well, I have no plans to return to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, but now I'm looking forward to moving on to another school; maybe Carnegie Mellon for an English major. I'm not sure yet to be honest; I want to pay off most of my debt before then. :\

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Blondie (Offline)
Silent

Default 09-01-2012, 01:13 AM

Haha, yes Birdie, I did! I was smart in high school and got good grades, did the SAT and all that, but i really wasnt ready to go anywhere and i didnt know how I would pay for it, because i didnt want my parents to have the burden. At first i started out wanting to do the associates degree RN program at the community college i was at, but there was a huge waitlist, so after i got on the waitlist i decided i might as well go to EWU in the mean time and try to get into WSU (my grades were good enough). And now, here i am! lol
I really really think a CC is the way to start, you save money and as long as you get your AA you dont have to worry about doing the universities general requirements and if you have all your pre reqs done, you can usually go straight into the program! Small state universities are a good option as well, EWU's tuition was only $2000 a quarter, i just had to pay more since i lived on campus, it would have been a hour commute each way if i stayed at home.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 09-11-2012, 12:43 AM

My goal is UC Berkely. I want to attend the Boalt School of Law.

I was super confident last year on my chances of getting in, but lately, I've been really discouraged.

I mean, I can go pretty much ANYWHERE for my undergrad, (for law it doesn't really matter) So I'm not too stressed out.

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."
(#89 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-24-2013, 11:52 PM

I still really want to go to Northwestern or UChicago but I am also considering going to the John Jay College of Criminal Justice if I do want to go into that field. Of course, that's many years from now. The only bad thing is that tuition for NU and UChicago are $60,000-70,000 a year and will more than likely rise by the time I am applying. I guess I really should say wherever I get accepted. XD

(#90 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-25-2013, 12:17 AM

Holy expensive... o_o How do you plan to afford that? My parents combined income (I guess just my dads, since my mom doesn't work) isn't even that much per year.

Don't end up in debt your whole life.