Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#91 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM

I probably won't be going there. I mean (and I don't mean this in a snobby way) being honest, I come from a, I guess, upper middle class family. My father is a partner at his own law firm (not saying that means he is automatically rich or anything) but I have always had everything I had wanted and needed for the most part. I have a college fund, but odds are that it doesn't have that much money in it. We are well off but not THAT well off. And I certainly wouldn't to be in that much debt. I suppose there is always FAFSA, but I probably wouldn't qualify cuz I come from a high income family. So yeah, I probably won't end up going there but it has always been my dream.

Reading that post over again, it sounds so braggy. >< That truly wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if it came off like that way to anyone.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#92 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM

No, now I'm just jealous of your money. Money is the main source of all my problems. Ever. >_> You're very lucky, don't take it for granted. Not saying I'm not lucky, I'm lucky in other parts of my life, but you know... money.

Not from America, so what does FAFSA stand for? In Ontario we have OSAP. I think it stands for Ontario Student Academic Plan? Or something like that, I have no clue. It's different in each province here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Basically, if you qualify based on your parent's (or yours) expected amount to pay and the amount of the college, you are eligible for grants (don't have to be paid back), federal student loans, and work study grants. Though, they don't give it to just anyone -- you really have to be in a lower income home.

(#94 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah, so it's the American version of OSAP. I don't know what it's called in the other Canadian provinces, but it's the same basic thing.

I get enough for my schooling, and then an extra $400 grant per semester because of my dad's income.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM

Pardon my language, but eff FAFSA. I'm NOT from an upper middle class family, my mom works for minimum wage, my dad is trying to support four of us plus a dog on an income that barely covers the cost of our house, and I STILL DON"T QUALIFY FOR ANY AID! Not even Work Study! All the on campus jobs go to work study people! GAHHHHH! We're in that little nook where we're too poor to truly fend for ourselves, but not quite poor enough to receive any aid. It infuriates me so much! /rant

I'm looking for more and more scholarships to apply to since I need to cough up the $25,000 for Carthage College that won't be covered by the financial assistance the college (NOT the government) is offering. Student loans are a four letter word in my vocab but everyone tells me I need to get them but even if it's just for a couple years, interest rates went up and gah school is too expensive.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#96 (permalink))
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-27-2013, 10:47 PM

I don't qualify for any FAFSA help either but thankfully I participated in the A+ Program. Its a program for high school students where as long as you were in school for 97% of the time, had good citizenship, did 50hrs of tutoring and had a 2.5 gpa you got 105% of your degree covered to a community college or whatever the school you went to agreed to take. Unfortunately i was an idiot and lost it for my last semester but hey got 95% of it covered. =)

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
(#97 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-28-2013, 12:29 AM

I wish I'd known about this program! And that I had applied to my CC right away...I could have gotten a free ride. Unfortunately, all those were given out by the time I actually did apply, even though I more than met the qualifications. That's what I get for thinking community college was below me :/

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#98 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Wednesday my grandmother and I are taking a tour of the Art Institutes. I'm excited and a little nervous. Luckily, it's not anything serious (as in I don't have to show a portfolio.)