Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   School (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/school/)
-   -   What do u think about school dress codes (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/school/13338-what-do-u-think-about-school-dress-codes.html)

NotYourPrincess 04-09-2007 05:47 PM

Dress codes have to be put into place or girls would come looking like terrible, and guys would probably come in their boxers.

miluiel_she_elf 04-11-2007 09:15 PM

I think of it as more of an equalizer. If everyone wears the same thing, at least clothes won't be an issue anymore. We don't have uniforms at my school.

Silent_Wolf 04-12-2007 04:04 PM

But, school uniforms are VERY costly to buy. Some schools require you to buy them directly from the school instead of from the nearest uniform supplier, which means you end up spending a bajillion dollars more than you would normally.

Sarah_K_O_M 04-12-2007 04:17 PM

I personally like uniforms, though mine always makes me feel like a whale.
A good uniform can last for years too, I've had the same school jumper, skirt and jacket for three years now.

Silent_Wolf 04-12-2007 04:19 PM

Over here in America, the uniforms they make don't last long at all. When I was little and I had to wear one once, the jacket tore into pieces after six GENTLE washings. O_o

miluiel_she_elf 04-12-2007 04:21 PM

^^^But not that much more expensive than having to buy a whole bunch of clothes otherwise, and believe me, almost everyone does it at the beginning of the school year.

Silent_Wolf 04-12-2007 04:33 PM

You have a point, but no one considers thinking about the people who don't have enough money to buy brand new clothes. I just buy whatever's cheap enough; I found some cute clothes at a thrift store that you would normally have to spend fifty for at a normal store.

xJESSiCA 04-12-2007 07:27 PM

Uniforms, pros and cons:

Pros:

Keep everything clean and suttle.
Makes the school look more professional.
Oh gawd...we had a huge debate about this. I may have to get that sheet and make a new message. Overall, people agreed that we should have uniforms. A lot of people where belt-like skirts and spaghetti-strap tanks (well, the girls, obviously), and boys have shoes the size of elephant feet. In my opinion, uniforms keep everything straight, suttle, and professional-looking. People have too much originality, and people should NOT be known by the way we dress. Uniforms will make it easier to like people because of their personality, not their appearance. Kids have started making first impressions based on how tight a girl's shirt is and how skimpy her skirt, and for boys, they look for cute hair, eyes, and brand name shirts. If they have those, heck! They are perfect. They don't, crush them, smush them, make them feel like outcasts, because THEY ARE!

No, that last part is not my opinion, it is the opinion of some of kids at my school. I, personally, would love school uniforms if the tops weren't tight. They make me feel small and insignificant, something I was taught NOT to feel.

I will find that sheet and post it. It is really good.

miluiel_she_elf 04-12-2007 08:16 PM

Hmmm...I don't know. Workplaces are for proffessionals. I don't think students have to be. I think they need the attitude and determination of proffessionals to do well, but I don't think they have to be proffessionals.

Wow...I don't know what I think about uniforms anymore. There's pros and cons. I guess it's up the school. I know I'd be pretty much indifferent to them, but it's a rather complicated issue. So many other arguments (and I mean the constructive kind) can be raised when you start talking about uniforms. Individuality, self-expression, freedom...it all gets jumbled up.

Silent_Wolf 04-13-2007 06:21 AM

The way I'm looking at it, uniforms are a huge waste of money, both for students and schools. The schools have to pay to get them made, which can cost a LOT, and then they charge per item of clothing for the uniforms if they're the ones selling it. Which means the students have to pay over 400 dollars at times.

Also, it doesn't matter about what clothes make first impressions; in the end people find out how much of a jerk John Doe is, or how rude Jane Doe is.