Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

School Talk about school topics: Homework, colleges, books, careers, lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
xJESSiCA (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 26 Votes / 3.54 Average
Default 04-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...I don't know. Workplaces are for proffessionals. I don't think students have to be. I think they need the attitude and determination of proffessionals to do well, but I don't think they have to be proffessionals.

Wow...I don't know what I think about uniforms anymore. There's pros and cons. I guess it's up the school. I know I'd be pretty much indifferent to them, but it's a rather complicated issue. So many other arguments (and I mean the constructive kind) can be raised when you start talking about uniforms. Individuality, self-expression, freedom...it all gets jumbled up.
No, they need to look professional. Just look professional, not be professional.

And self-expression should not be through clothes. That can lead to skimpy things, to show that they (the wearer) is better than everyone else, because that is the attitude most adapt when wearing such clothing. You should express yourself through your actions. You are not your clothes. You are you, and it is simple as that.

At least here, you buy certain things for an outfit (for Silent_Wolf's argument). TCA (a private school here) just has to wear black shoes, blue, red, and/or black. They get to buy the stuff, and the nicer things tend to last longer, at least for me, because the makers know that it needs to not only look nice and professional, but feel nice and strong and not easy to fall apart.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 12-10-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

My old school uniform was awful, and really ugly. The ppl who were for uniforms always made the point that they stopped cliques forming; well, that's bullpoop. As for making everyone the same, that's bullpoop too. The richer kids had their uniforms specially made, the poorer kids were obvious by the way their uniforms looked. Also, on nonuniform days most of the kids dressed alike anyway, in jeans. I was always the odd one out, cuz I dressed all in black; in my uniform, I still looked the odd one out cuz I wore mine differently; ie, I picked out all the white in my tie and wore Doc Marten shoes, compared to the others who wore normal shoes.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
miluiel_she_elf (Offline)
Professional

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 3.29 Average
Default 04-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahja94 View Post
No, they need to look professional. Just look professional, not be professional.

And self-expression should not be through clothes. That can lead to skimpy things sl.uty things, to show that they (the wearer) is better than everyone else, because that is the attitude most adapt when wearing such clothing. You should express yourself through your actions. You are not your clothes. You are you, and it is simple as that.

At least here, you buy certain things for an outfit (for Silent_Wolf's argument). TCA (a private school here) just has to wear black shoes, blue, red, and/or black. They get to buy the stuff, and the nicer things tend to last longer, at least for me, because the makers know that it needs to not only look nice and professional, but feel nice and strong and not easy to fall apart.
They'll probably spend the rest of their lives as proffessionals. Do we really have to look proffessional now?

Skimpy clothes are the choice of the wearer. There are punishments for wearing inappropreiate stuff, but you can also express yourself through your clothes. For instance, how would you be abe to pick a Goth out of a crowd if he/she didn't wear dark clothing? A girly-girl? A punk? Sure, you're not your clothes, but you can express yourself through your clothes. If someone wears skimpy clothes, that's a reflection on them, and the way they feel. That's deffinitely a problem, but I totally see where those with them feel restricted.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 12-10-2007 at 03:58 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
angel_deceiver (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: Not Rated
Send a message via Yahoo to angel_deceiver
Default 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

i am anit school uniforms at PUBLIC schools, private is a different story because they are private and need that kind of feel to them. PUBLIC I say no you have to go to that school you are the reason they make money but yeh a dress code is needed especailly in spring and summer.

"angels lie to keep control" -Slipknot
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-19-2007, 03:14 PM

I went to a non uniform school after my parents pulled me out of my first one cuz of the bullying that the head refused to do anything about. There, you could wear what you liked... within reason. Ie, no swear words on t-shirts and no skanky clothes.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
angel_deceiver (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Send a message via Yahoo to angel_deceiver
Default 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM

yeh which is how it sorta should be... i mean public schools should have at least that i dont go to school to see mini skirts to the butt and v cut shirts showing clevage of the grand canyon.

"angels lie to keep control" -Slipknot
(#17 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM

If there was a school uniform, then I want it to be pretty.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
AnnieAnonymous (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Default 04-28-2007, 09:13 PM

If I had to wear a uniform, I'd want it to be like the ones they wear in the anime world. lol Those are pretty cute!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Panic_Overload (Offline)
Addict

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 3 Votes / 3.67 Average
Default 04-29-2007, 05:37 AM

Right... I'd only wear a uniform if you could personalize it. Ex. put on a funky belt (that matches), add those arm warmers things, you know. Just little stuff.

Wearing uniforms is like taking away your freedom of speech. Clothes represent people, in good ways and bad. Schools that do wear uniforms tend to be more highclass, too.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-29-2007, 11:15 AM

I mean, everyone at school thinks that wearing a school uniform automatically makes you a prep. >.<
And yes, I meant those anime school uniforms - like the one Kagome keeps wearing ^-^