Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

RPG Games All Roleplay and Role-play games. Create and play Fantasy and In-Out-Character RPs, "legend of" type and any other RP games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#741 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM

"Absolutely not!"

He pulled a photo album out of his bag; just one of the small flip-book types, nothing fancy. As he turned the pages, he felt an old ache in his heart and grimaced, shutting the book. He never should've come here...

"Dad, come on! Mom's gone on ahead already, we need to mo-o-ooove." His daughter stuck her tongue out at him, the seventeen-year-old all spiky hair and crazy piercings. He just chuckled and followed behind, enjoying the spring air.

The fair was running at full swing as they sat down to eat some of the unhealthy but required food, and he kissed his wife, Evelyn, on the cheek as she picked at her plate. "What's wrong, love?"

"My hackles are up, that's all." She smiled at him slightly and kissed him back, resting her head on his shoulder. "You know I haven't been well for awhile, anyway."

"I do." He wrapped an arm around her, rubbing her side. "If you want, we can go home."

"No, no, it's her birthday, we'll stay." She smiled at their daughter, who had dug into her unhealthy carnival food with much gusto. "We never get to do this anymore, given your job keeps you out of town so much."

"..." He sighed. "I know. But at least I will be retiring soon."

"Good." She took a bite of her sandwich.

Later, when evening came, Alexei was sitting on a bench as he watched his wife and daughter go on the Ferris wheel. He hated heights, so had politely declined getting on and was content to watch them relax after a long, fun day.

As it spun to let them off, he stood up to greet them, but something... bizarre happened.

He wasn't sure if it was an explosion, or some kind of strange burst of energy, but he found himself pinned under a bench halfway across the fair. Without much struggle, he pushed it off of himself and ignored the feeling of broken ribs, limping back to the wheel.

Standing over his wife, back to him, was a girl covered in blood - her hair was dark brown and she wore a hat, and sunglasses. Evelyn wasn't moving, and nearby, their daughter was curled up, screaming.

He didn't think, he didn't react - he grabbed the nearest sharp object. This was a piece of metal ripped from the wheel, he supposed, but that was a thought stored for later - he ran straight for this girl and drove the object down hard into her throat. She froze before crumbling, grasping at her throat, and she seemed to glare at him from behind the shades before she went limp.

He dropped to his knees and checked his wife's throat - there was a pulse, okay, faint but okay. He kissed her on the forehead and whispered that he'd return before scrambling over to Ana.

Ana was missing an arm and he was stunned by the bizarre, clean separation.

Hours - maybe days? - later, he looked up from his comatose wife as the doctor walked in. "She's pregnant, which would explain her abnormal blood tests." He smiled. "She's showing signs of waking up, as well."

"Good." He stood up. "I'll let Ana know. I need to walk some." He rubbed his face; he was still wearing the same dirty clothes and his ribs ached from the tight bandages and titanium bolts holding the bones in place.

The doctor seemed slightly hesitant before nodding.

Ana had been recovering ever since the terrorist attack, and while her arm hadn't been recovered, the odds were good that she could receive the very latest of prosthetics. He sat next to her and she looked up from her sudoku book, smiling. She hadn't taken losing her arm well, but they'd both been thankful she was ambidextrous at least. "Is she waking up soon?"

"Yes; and you'll have a little sibling, too." Her eyes widened with surprise.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling once more. He wasn't going to think about this now.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silent_Wolf : 06-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#742 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-11-2013, 07:01 PM

"What we need," Dawn said, "Is someone who's on the inside who can come and go as they please. None of us can do that; the moment we walk back inside the facility, they'll try and capture us and we'll end up having to kill our way out, the way that Rain did when she escaped."

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#743 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Lucy shuddered. "I'd like to avoid that at all costs."

Alexei pulled a photo of the family out; he, his wife, and his daughter at her graduation some months after the incident. He felt nothing as he remembered what had happened not long after.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but your wife miscarried." He stared at the doctor, disbelief and denial raging through him. "It appears that she was simply lacking something in her diet to sustain the pregnancy possibly, as the fetus was... deformed."

"Deformed how?" Denial slowly turned to anger.

"I can't quite say. There were malformations on the head, not very evident at first look." The doctor gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm very sorry for your loss, Mr. Rodchenkov."

"We'll be fine." He buried his face in his hands. "How is she?"

"Resting." He put a hand on his shoulder. "We'll give you a folder of places you can contact." He hesitated, and sat down. "And I have some more bad news."

"What the hell else can you possibly tell me? What more bad news do you carry behind your false smile?" He glared at the doctor, tears running down his face.

"She had cancer." Something in his brain snapped a little - cancer? "It wasn't very advanced, but it was spreading more than normal cancers do... I'm sorry, but we had to remove the tissue and most of her womb."

"You didn't tell her?"

"We asked her to make the decision; chemo or surgery. There will be some small amount of chemo afterwards, but not as much as before." The doctor inhaled a bit, clearly hesitating. "You may want to have yourself tested for any kind of HPV as well, just in case there's a new strain."

"I assure you, I do not. I'm regularly bloodtested at work." He stood up and left the office, walking up the hall to see his wife.

Their divorce later that year was not one of animosity, but of quiet despair.

But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#744 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM

"So would I," Dawn said, quietly. One of the reasons why she liked to talk with Lucy is the way that Lucy understood her; and understood the urge to kill, the little voice inside which said that humans deserved to die.

(#745 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Lucy sighed and rubbed her face. "But the chances of that are close to zero. We need time, but I feel as though we're going to be short on that, too."

Halestorm
(#746 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM

"More than likely," Dawn said. "Charles won't want any of us to stay free for long. He needs us in his lab, cuz he's desperate to find a cure. Remember what I said before, about his son? I know everything about him, cuz I heard James talking about him before. Charles wants his son to be cured of being a Diclonius, which is why he wants to study us."

(#747 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-11-2013, 07:33 PM

One of the lamps was thrown across the room and smashed against the wall. Lucy rubbed her face with a hand, trying to calm down. "When will these idiots realize we're not diseased?! It's something on a genetic level, something that re-writes DNA. Once that DNA has been re-written, there can't be any changing it."

Alexei lifted his head, hearing the racket from a few doors down, but he decided to leave it; probably wasn't important.

Halestorm
(#748 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM

"I also know that Charles keeps his son locked up, not cuz he doesn't care, but cuz he cares too much," Dawn replied. "If he'd declared his son, what do you think the scientists would have done? They'd have jumped at the chance to study a male Diclonius; there aren't any others around. So the boy's never been outside and I pity him for that. And you're right. They think it's a disease, and they think that we're less than human. That's why they treat us the way they do."

(#749 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-12-2013, 12:56 AM

"We're real-life X-men." Lucy looked a tad miserable. "And there's nothing we can do." She put a hand on her side table. "I wonder sometimes if I'm not the only Queen; I can't explain any of the American diclonii. I can't even explain any from Japan," she added. "But then, I don't remember much."

Halestorm
(#750 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM

"I was wondering about that," Dawn replied. "I mean, my parents were Japanese, so maybe they were infected back in Japan and abandoned me when they realised. But I only infected Lonnie and his mother."