Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

RPG Games All Roleplay and Role-play games. Create and play Fantasy and In-Out-Character RPs, "legend of" type and any other RP games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default School Of Arts {Tutoring RP for RP newbies ONLY} - 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM

If you've just clicked on this topic, you're probably wondering what this RP is all about. Well, I'll tell you. This is a place where anyone who's progressed past the Newbies RP can come and try out their character and learn how to RP properly with said character. I, along with the more experienced RPers, will not be joining the RP but will instead be looking in on the RP in order to instruct the players on the art of RPing. If you wish to join this RP, then you must have already posted on the Newbies RP and been given permission by myself to post here. Please don't post here unless this is the case, as this is the next step up from the Newbies RP, not the same as. Anyone who joins this RP must abide by the following rules:

1. Abide by the RPG Forum rules. They can be found here:

http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/r...rules-faq.html

Before posting a new RP, Read This First!

2. Use the following form in order to present your character:

Name:
Personality:
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.)
Strengths: (No more than three)
Bio:

Please put some thought into your character. Don't just throw in three weaknesses that either don't mesh with each other or with the strengths, or don't make sense. Also, use the Bio part to describe your character, but please don't spend too much time on physical appearence as it really doesn't matter overmuch. Personality description is far more important. Flesh out your character; don't just post the bare bones. Make your character into a real person.

3. Use correct writing skills; that is, no chatspeak, 1337 or KrAzY. Also please make an effort to spell properly and use correct grammar. I understand that everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but making a post that's chock full of grammar and spelling mistakes is ridiculous. Also, don't drop the dummy if you are criticised about your character and/or posting style. Just make the changes requested; no-one is being mean, they are trying to help you.

4. Don't spam in the RP or use it to chat. If you have a question you would like to ask, then put Ooc: in front of it. Don't argue with other players. If you feel that a player is breaking rules, then PM me about it, DON'T start a flame war in the RP. Anyone found doing this will be barred from it.

5. Finally, please don't take over the RP for your own ends. The last Tutoring RP had to be locked cuz a core group of people had taken the RP over, excluding any new people who might have wanted to join. If you feel as tho you are ready to RP properly, then rather than take over the Tutoring RP, I suggest you either start your own, or join one of the open RPs. The full list of which RPs are open to new people is here: RPG Categories, Availability And Which RPs Are Open To New Members. Anyone I see who is treating the Tutoring RP as their own personal playground will be first warned, then if they continue to disregard this rule, barred from the RP.

Here is the premis that everyone who joins this RP will RP one. This RP, like the Newbies RP, is not categorised so therefore does not have an extensive plot. But if you start your own, you will need to follow the rules laid out in the stickies.

The school of art in downtown New York City has started a new year. The new freshman are excited to have been accepted, and you are one of them. You come from around the world and from different lifestyles. This year, the students will learn dance, acting and classical music. Of course, after school activities will pop up later on. Which clique do you belong to? Do you have a career in mind? Do you devote yourself exclusively to one subject, or do you dabble? Will you find love at the school, or devote yourself to your future career? The possibilities are endless.

One more thing... Mary Sues/Gary Stus are strictly forbidden. Here's a little information about these creatures:

Mary Sue and other character atrocities.
Before we move on to Mary Sue, first let me list a few more character atrocities.

1. A thin character. No, that does not mean a skinny character, just one that has no detail whatsoever. For example, just name, age and a power description. A character bio must contain a personality description, listing both good and bad points.

2. A character with just a picture as a description. If you use a picture as an appearence reference, then that's fine; just remember that you must also include a paragraph on personality. I cannot stress this enough.

3. A character that doesn't interact. There is no point whatsoever in joining an RP if you're just going to go your own sweet way and not interact with the other players.

Finally, we get on to Mary Sue. If you are unsure about whether your character is a Mary Sue or not, then PM me your character form and I will tell you. The main characteristics of a Mary Sue are listed below:

1. Pointlessly flowery description. For example; "Her hair was golden like the sun shining on ripening wheat." Completely unnecessary.

2. Perfect in every way. Only Mary Poppins is "practically perfect in every way." Anyone else who has no faults is a Mary Sue. Faults are things like bad temper, laziness, greed, clumsiness. NOT "she was so beautiful all the girls were jealous." X_x Also, do not list a character's strengths as "everything." They must have power or school weaknesses, cuz everyone does.

3. Being the girlf of a canon character. This applies to RPs that are based on TV, anime, or books. Just don't. If in the canon two characters are boyf and girlf, you stick to that. You can play the girlf, but don't change her character to fit your own. Which leads us on to...

4. Makes canon characters behave out of character. Don't do this. If you can't do this, then make an original RP instead.

5. Constantly bangs on about her tragic past. No-one's saying you can't have a character with past tragedy, just don't have them constantly bring it up, unless it pertains to the RP. Also, your character can not be the focus of the RP, or be the main character.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Xx_SkullCutie_xX (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 1 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM

Name: Layla Fales
Personality: Layla is a clumsy girl. She isn't dumb or smart. She's kind though, but doesn't have many friends. But she's very unique but no one really likes her.
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.): The popular people, boys, powerful people, and being in the crowd of attention
Strengths: (No more than three): Being a hard worker, trying her best
Bio: Layla isn't that girl with many friends. She tries her best to suceed and doesn't care if she fails. She is a hard worker and works as hard as she can to do what she needs to do. Layla finds having friends is hard work. She says you have to try to have good friends that like you for who you are and not your looks and popularity.

TWILIGHT
is haunting me!! WHAT DO I DO?

Help me stop the zombies!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: Not Rated
Default 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM

ooc: Very good for your first try (I am assuming) but you do have some flaws. First: Your weaknesses. They are great weaknesses except for the fact that it was mean for personality. So it could be like 'She loses her voice around the popular group because they make her feel belittled' or 'Authority people make her feel afraid because they have more power than her' or 'She doesn't like being in the center of attention because she gets nervous fits and stage fright'.

You also need a first paragraph to introduce your charrie. This needs to be 5-6 sentences long, maybe more.

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Rain538 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Name:Alex
Personality:Alex has quite a bit of a temper....when you make her mad.
Otherwise she is very nice and easy to make friends with.
But,a techno geek at heart and is always on the computer.
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.) is lazy and procrastinates ,math,and her glasses are always falling off.
Strengths: (No more than three)Very skilled at typing,fun to be around and,is pretty good at swimming
Bio: Blond haired short,laid back.Thats why her grades are dropping.Thats why,being a techno geek,she'd much rather be on the computer.
What would I say for the opening paragraph?

Warrior cat books firggen rule the earth a long side pie and the peace sign.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Ooc: Not that bad, I guess. A couple things though.

1) Weaknesses are also known as character flaws. The first two are good, though they kind of overlap, but simply "Math" is not really a weakness. Instead, that could be something like "logically weak" (as math is a logic based subject. However, "glasses are always falling off" is definitely not a character flaw, but more of a trait that may have to do with the size of her nose (her appearance). Same thing goes for Strengths. They also deal with your personality stregths. EG. Outgoing, atheletic, amusing.

2) The bio is a bit short. Biography's usually provide background info on the character. This may include (in general): previous love interests, family history, religion, previous school/work/life experiences, etc.

Here's and example.

Bio: 18 year old Clark's mother is an alcoholic, so she has been taking care of her 3 siblings for the past couple years. She's very independant, and has thus never felt love for anyone since she sees it as something that may hold her back. Clark goes to Church every Sunday, despite being unsure of her beliefs. However, she believes that Christianity may help her through this difficult time in her life. She dropped out of school when she was 16, but no one could ever guess. She works at a small coffee shop down by the coast and spends most of her free time looking out at the water, thinking about where her life had went.

3) No opening paragraph. That's simply a paragraph (or more; it's generally fairly long) helping to introduce your character to the setting, and maybe even have them interact with some of the other characters. Here, you may discuss their current emotions about whatever topic the RP happens to be (in this case, your would mention how excited/scared/maybe even indifferent, your character is to be starting at this high school.

Here's an example:

Clark sat out on the shore, humming pleasantly to herself. She had just gotten off work and had a little less then an hour to relax before she had to head off to meet her sibling after school. It was a long walk, but Anna, Clark's youngest sister, really appreciated her sister being there.

Like every Tuesday afternoon, the walk seemed much colder then any other day of the week, and much more windy. It had rained the day before, so Clark was glad she decided to wear shorts, for her pants would have gotten soaked dragging along in the puddles.

On her way there, she saw a familliar face coming off of the number 26 bus. "Hannah? Is that you?" She asked quietly, tapping the girl on the shoulder.

And that's about all. ^^ So change up your post a bit by using my tips, and hopefully it'll help you in the future.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Name: Kristy Seders
Personality: She's rather lazy but if the result of hard work is something that will benefit her, she will put all her effort into it. She is very smart and has many friends but wouldn't be considered popular. Just her little circle.
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.) Lazy , smart-alec, temperamental
Strengths: (No more than three) pretty, has lots of friends, smart
Bio: Shes a piano player who came to the School of Arts so she could get away from her over protective parents and her annoying Ex. Here she is hoping to make it big in the music career and maybe make some new friends. (If anyone can get on her good side.)

She looks like this:Click Here

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Name:Maria Bailey
Personality: Maria is very dreamy and believes in fantasy. She tries not to fight with people if she can help it but sometimes the anger just jumps out when she doesn't mean it. Afterwards she normally runs away.
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.) Sometimes can't control herself, self consious, lies a lot (hope these are ok)
Strengths: (No more than three) Modest, kind.
Bio: Maria grew up in the UK where she attended acting lessons until the age of 12 because she realised they were doing no good and they were costing her parents too much money. She dreams to become a famous actress and win an oscar but people tell her that it's not going to happen in the real world. Her Father doesn't believe in her dreams like her mother does so she had to beg him to let her apply for the school and even now he doesn't believe in her ambitions. Her best friend is one of the most important people in the world to her. She believes in her and they muck about at each others houses. Unfortunately her best friend didn't get in and as they normally see each other at school Maria misses her dearly.

All was quiet. Maria looked up at the tall, tall gate. It was gigantic; almost 4 times as big as her. 'Dad will regret not letting me apply before now' she thought to herself. She started to imagine herself at the oscars...
'And the oscar goes to... MARIA BAILEY!' The host cried!
Before she could get there though she'd have to work pretty hard. Suddenly she was being pushed forwards. The gate slowly opened. Then she realised that her adventure had begun...

Hope it's ok now Miranda. I tried the Mary Sue litmus test and I got 1.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-11-2009, 07:47 PM

That's fine; it's a big improvement.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-12-2009, 04:44 AM

Thanks Miranda. Your guidelines and the mary sue litmus test really helped.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
stargazer97 (Offline)
Silent

Default 05-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Name: Jamie Anders
Personality: Jamie is a stubborn girl who pretty much always belives she's right. She's fiercely loyal to her close friends when need be. She is a daydreamer, her heart filled with neverending fantasies. Jamie finds it hard to just be herself, and is mentaly strong at all. She always wants to fit in, and always tries to. She easily gives in if threatened by anything, and is easily upset.
Weaknesses: (Must have three min.)Jamie is harsh and sarcastic, and can be rude if upset. She's ridiculously stubborn, and hates change. Her fantasy dream world makes it hard for Jamie to cope with reality. Jamie is very Claustiphobic and does her best to avoid small spaces. Her thoughts drift easily and she really doesn't pay attention to what anyone else is saying. Isabella doesn't trust very easily, and has only a few choice friends.
Strengths: (No more than three) Jamie is very loyal, and is friendly to those close to her. She is a great listener.
Bio: Long brown hair. medium height with dark green eyes.
Jamie's father went to join the Army when Jamie was small. He never came back. Her mother took it very hard, and worked very hard to make sure Jamie and her older brother, Carter live an exeptional life. Jamie rebeled against her mother's protection, and packed up her bags. She had been staying at a friends house when she read about the School of Arts. She quickley gatherd her belongings and left, applying. She was shocked when exepted and hopes to do well.

Jamie slowly walked across the huge front lawn of the School of Arts, her heart pounding as she walked towards the large iron gate. She relized she couldn't just stand there, and was preparing to try pushing open the gate when a noise made her jump. "List your name." said and voice, obviously not very happy to see her. Jamie wrinkled her nose, not really liking the tone of annoyance. She reached forward and pressed a red button on a small white box. "Yeah, yeah. Jamie." she said, matching the annoyance with her own. "Your full name." the voice said slowly, as if the most obvious thing in the world. Jamie bit her lip, glaring at the box. "Jamie Anders." she said, crossing her arms like she didn't care. "You may enter." the voice stated, as the gate swung open. Jamie slowly picked up her bag and walked through, wondering what was instore for her.

Gentle breezes rush by me. They seem to scream your name. I've done everything I could, to keep from going insane. I tried, I tried, I tried. But I should have never denied, my love. Sweet angel, adieu.

Last edited by stargazer97 : 06-06-2009 at 07:51 PM.