Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

RPG Games All Roleplay and Role-play games. Create and play Fantasy and In-Out-Character RPs, "legend of" type and any other RP games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM

You may have RPed elsewhere, but every forum has different rules cept for places like Quizilla and Barton Town, which are free for alls as far as I can see. The rules were introduced a while ago to stop people from a) creating dozens of identical RPs and b) RPing with Mary Sues. Practically everyone had a "high school with powers" RP up starring a putrid Mary Sue and with an almost nonexistant plot. So the RP forum aquired a set of rules to bring some control to the forum.

The categories can be added to, if need be. If someone makes an RP which they feel belongs in another category, they only have to PM me and explain. The rules are not going to change so if you don't like them, then the only thing I can suggest is RPing elsewhere.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_Rini_xX View Post
So I've RPed a ton before, like a ton a ton, for at least 4 years and at least over a thousand RP's (not joking). So it's safe to say that I know a few things about RPing. However I can't say I've seen any rules quite like this before. The fact that you have categories and only 3 rps can be in each, is odd. Plus to me the categories don't exactly make sense. Are they genres such as action, romance or what not, or what? Many categories or genres can have thousands of different plots. So why limit?
First, get the concept of "This is just like all the other boards I've been on!" out of your head. We have these rules because of people like you who have come on here in the past, claiming to be "experts" as you are inferring yourself to be (RPing a ton, a thousand RPs and so forth), who cannot RP for a da.mn and wound up clogging up our board with worthless pieces of sod not fit to plant a creative seed into. Feel free to browse locked threads that are less than a page; you'll see what we mean.

This isn't to say we don't accept new people.

Also, we don't specifically cater to "Action" or "Romance" et cetera in specifics. Every RP known to man has every genre in it to some degree. This is more a theme for each RP: Scifi, High school sans powers, High school with powers, Resident Evil, and so on. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp but for awhile we were having loads of people come on making TONS of High School with powers RPs and it got to the point where we couldn't keep track of them all.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Xx_Rini_xX (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Question I understand but... - 02-20-2012, 03:20 AM

I understand there are rules and that you didn't have a great experiance with not limiting people but micromanaging things is a little extreme and honestly I would feel like my creativity is being squished and 'judged' (I'm using that term loosely.) in a way. I never claimed to be an expert at RPing, heck I still have a long way to go, so please don't put words in my mouth. However I never said anything untrue about how much I've rped. Also I do belive you should not judge a persons rping skills before you see them. I am also a writer (you can look me up here on tdp) and I'll also include a sample of my rping on here.

In all honesty I wasn't ever going to reply on this rp section again. Not because I didn't have anything else to say but because I saw it useless to say. However after someone already addressed the issue (with mostly the same points might I add) I see no reason for you to post again. However I guess it's common psychology that one would be defensive if someone 'attacked' like I did. So I guess I won't blame you for that. However I never 'attacked' in an aggressive manner, only questioned. If it came off that way I'm sorry.

I also get the concept of catagories. (Rping we use them all the time) I just didn't understand if you were using genere or catagories. However even with catagories there can still be thousands of different plots.

Ex. Catagories- fantasy and urban fantasy. Did you know that there are many different types of fantasy? Here is a website that explains them extreamly well. Types of Fantasy

In fact even with these there are a ton of different plots. LOOK AT BOOKS FOR EXAMPLE. There are tons of different books over same categories yet they have different plots. Shocking yes I know, but it's true.

So again why limit these creative plots? What would happen if there is this fantastic (mind blowing) rp that wants to be posted yet all the spots in that category are filled and they don't fit in any others? What do you tell them then? "Sorry but you can't rp because we only allow 3 at a time." or will you let them post and make an exception to the rules?

Also you are a mod, I may not know what your guys view of cursing is on this fourm but if it is frowned apon please don't waste those words on me and make yourself a bad role model. I don't want you to look like a bad person when you aren't.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 02-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Like I said, if you don't like the rules, then don't RP here. If you want to give a sample of your RPing, then feel free to post in the Newbies RP. Don't backchat the mods here; it's extremely rude especially when we're trying to help you. "Dam'n" isn't a cuss; if you think that it is, then you've led an extremely sheltered life.

The categories remain as they are; I am quite well aware that there are different types of fantasy and I don't appreciate being condescended to like you are doing. If you want to post an RP here, do so and welcome; just make sure it abides by the extremely simple rules we have here.

Quote:
So again why limit these creative plots? What would happen if there is this fantastic (mind blowing) rp that wants to be posted yet all the spots in that category are filled and they don't fit in any others? What do you tell them then? "Sorry but you can't rp because we only allow 3 at a time." or will you let them post and make an exception to the rules?
That hasn't happened yet, and I doubt very much it would. In any case, if the RP was fantastic, it would very likely fit in another category, or I'd simply review the categories and move another to make it fit. All they'd have to do is PM me the RP as they intended to post it, along with their character and intros. Not hard.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Just my two cents here; Rini, you should really experiment with the system as it stands before declaring it to be elitist or too strict. I've been RPing here for half my sentient life. It works fine. If you have some kind of plot that doesn't fit into any category or isn't fit for a roleplay by itself, you could work it into another plot or existing RP.

This system has stood the test of time. It's worthy of respect. If you dislike it, try Roleplayer Guild; they have sections for light, medium and advanced RP.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant

Last edited by Miranda_ : 02-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM

I may revise the categories rule at some point, but at this time and place, the rules stand. If you need help with an RP at any time, you're welcome to PM me rather than just complaining about the rules here. They may come off as strict, but a lot of forums that are solely dedicated to RPing have far stricter rules.

RPs don't have to rigidly fit one category. In my experience, RPs can fit a multitude of categories at once, and it makes them more interesting and appealing to more people. For example, a sci-fi RP might have elements of romance, or perhaps even a theme or plot idea taken from a book or a film. A fantasy RP could be set in a high school and be based around anime characters. I love to write, too, and I can work an RP around several categories if need be. ^^

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Xx_Rini_xX (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Im sorry if I come off as aggressive. That was never meant to happen (I find that sometimes with talking online we never really know what the others emotion truely is).

I would like to address the fact again that I'm not an elitist. I was never planning on coming back and commenting on here either. Like I said before I saw it useless because I was going to respect your rules, not to mention you probably wouldn't want me here. And it looks like I stand corrected after being grouped with people who would ruin your site.

I was, before, thinking about giving it a try but since I doubt I will really be welcome here, I probably shouldn't. After all I don't want to create tension here on this RPGs game thread.

Also I know it isn't a cuss word, but I didn't know your ages of people that come here so I was just looking out for the children (because this still is a children's site, even though many of us from younger years still come back) here. I see you find it no problem so I apologize.

Also I've been looking over how this 3 post per category thing can work so well. I wasn't aware of the extreamly low player base on this thread so I can see where it would work that way.

Thank you for having time to look over my posts and answering them. I appreciate that you care for these threads so much. =) you might think its odd for me to say that but it's true. Some people would be like "whatever, why explain to someone who doesn't get it."

So I'm on my phone right now so I'm cutting this short.

Thank you.
Really I mean it. =)

(#18 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Don't get us wrong; we'd love you to stick around. ^^ We could do with more roleplayers. Believe me, you're not bad at all; some of those who've graced us with their presence appeared to have the ability to psychically bestow headaches over the internet. xD

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Yeah; think we got off on the wrong foot a bit. Anyway, don't worry about it; it's natural for both sides to be on the defensive at first, but eventually, we hopefully will shake down. ^^