Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Music (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/music/)
-   -   Most Influential Musicians (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/music/22611-most-influential-musicians.html)

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 09-13-2010 06:29 PM

Most Influential Musicians

Who do you guys think is the most influential musicians in music? Do you think there is one overriding important one, ones for certain genres, or that some contributed greatly to society as a whole? What is the mark of an influential musician? Great music, dancing, or is it something more?

I'm certain everyone is expecting me to say Lennon or the Beatles, so I will shock you all with my response that Elvis is one of the most influential musicians. He was out there bringing sexuality to the stage long before Madonna, who is credited with busting out sex, and I think his role in the whole sexual revolution and the music industry has largely been forgotten. You all should know the stories that his dancing was considered too scandalous for tv. I think his dancing was really a way to open the door on talks about sex and he helped make it a more acceptable topic to discuss openly.

Of course, I'm still a Lennon fangirl and I'm still going to say that his work towards world peace really was, and still is, some of the most recognized political activism. There isn't much of it today and what little there is seems more showy than anything else. Like Green Day, they are really known for their political music now, but I feel like they are only activists in name and don't actually go out there and make a difference. I compare them to Rage Against the Machine (a modern, well-known band of activists), who actually have gone out and done protests. I feel like activism has somewhat lost its footing in music.

karatekid12365 09-13-2010 07:29 PM

I actually did a research paper for English last year about the influence of the Beatles. xD

The_Glorious_Shiva 09-14-2010 03:37 PM

Well, this subject is something I never really thought about. o.o And it kinda caught me by surprise.. :P Mentioning Elvis was also quite surprising!! I long forgot about him. xD Well that's quite sad but on the other hand, I never really was his fan... :S
Anyways.... the people that I'm gonna mention are not necessarily good influence but they still are at some point: I would say Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Rihanna. For the past... at least 1 to 3 years these people released a lot! It makes me think of a wake up call for the long term singers like Beyonce and so on... :)
What I wanted to mention and strayed of my little pace (lol) is that I read and hear often strange rumors about these people... Like how some chick committed suicide cos her boyfriend was an EXTREME Rehanna fan.. o.o Yeah I know, but it's just a rumor. Well if it's true, then that would make Rihanna in some way bad influence. (well not really but oh well...) xD

It seems all the things I wrote are kinda randomly placed here and there, and it's possible only few people will understand my nonsense. xD

Miranda_ 09-15-2010 08:40 AM

Personally, I wouldn't use any recent singers as influential; certainly not the likes of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga or Rhianna. And certainly not, with the possible exception of Lady Gaga, musicians. They are more likely influenced by singers themselves; like Madonna obviously influenced Lady Gaga.

I'd state Alice Cooper and Kiss as influential musicians. Both have caused so many people to get into music, such as Marilyn Manson. Ace Frehley who used to play guitar in Kiss and is to many the definative Kiss guitarist, caused many people to pick up a guitar for the first time.

ColorPencil 02-21-2011 05:42 PM

Josh Ramsay. I actually value him as my idol. He is so strong and made through a whole ton, for example, his heroin addiction. He also had bulimia. Remember, he is 27 (he is clean and healthy now). His songs really taught me a lot and really take a look at my life. Josh makes me happy when I'm sad, and really influenced me to try my best no matter how low my self esteem is. I love him lots.

naruto_fan 02-21-2011 06:02 PM

^ Yes. His story proves you can make it no mattter what.

For me, it's Wonder Girls. Other than having amazing music. They prove that Asains can make it the US. market. Even though I'm not Asain, but the inspire me to go for my dream of making it into the Korean market. They're stories they have inspire me becuase of all they're heartaches they overcame.
Also Lee Kiseop of U-Kiss. He became depressed after so many tries and never passing auditions. But now he's becoming a huge idol.