Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Music (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/music/)
-   -   Saying you like a band just to sound cool (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/music/22304-saying-you-like-band-just-sound-cool.html)

Miranda_ 05-06-2010 04:32 PM

Saying you like a band just to sound cool

This is one of my pet peeves. At a party once, this girl claimed to be a fellow Iron Maiden fan. When I spoke with her, however, she had only heard one song; the rerelease of Run To The Hills and she didn't know anything about the band at all. :roll: It really bugged me; all she had to do was say "I only know one song, but I'd love to hear more" and that would be fine. But instead she felt she had to tell lies. I also, back in the day, met a girl at Glastonbury '98 who claimed to be a big Manic Street Preachers fan. She was also lying; she'd only heard Design for life. Why must people feel they have to tell lies like that? They'll only get found out once they meet a real fan. :roll:

Elanorea 05-06-2010 05:00 PM

Heh, reminds me of when I was a kid. I often decided that I was a "fan" of a band after only hearing the one album we had at home. Some of those are still my favourites after becoming familiar with more of their music, others... not so much :lol:. Though I've pretty much stopped referring to myself as a fan; I don't really have that level of devotion for any particular band.

Silent_Wolf 05-08-2010 07:05 AM

I will admit that I'm pretty bad at calling myself a fan of a band after only a few songs; but once I'm settled in and used to the sound of a band, I'll check out the rest of their music. Though, one band I like a lot but makes me feel awkward is Cradle of Filth; Dani Filth's voice.. is amazing, but it's weird hearing a guy hit higher notes than a girl can the way he does. Same thing goes for Queen; again, I am not comfortable hearing a guy hit higher notes than I can hit. XD

A group that I've been a massive fan of for a very long time, though, is Disturbed for sure. XD I've grown up listening to their music, and I know a fair amount of information about the band. Like that their song Perfect Insanity (off the album Indestructible) has actually been around since the late 90s, just never put to album; or that the song Inside the Fire is about one of David Draiman's girlfriends from his younger years, who killed herself.

... Er, I'll stop now. XD

One of my friends is the most annoying music-"fan" ever; any band I ever mention, she'll look up and scream 'OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS BAND SO AWESOME'. It's gotten to the point I won't share my favorite bands or songs with her.

Miranda_ 05-08-2010 08:17 AM

Saying you like a band when you've only heard a few songs is fine; it's the people who claim to be omg the greatest fan evar!1!eleventy when they don't know anything about the band, and only know a few songs, if that.

spirit_queen 05-08-2010 09:47 AM

That annoys me, too; I'll admit, I listen to an odd assortment of music, and I usually like to steal music form everone else to just keep it flowing, but I can never name a fave band. Ever.

I, fortunately, do not have friends who do that; I tend to repel those kind of people. XD Yay me!

The_Glorious_Shiva 09-08-2010 05:46 PM

Lolz, it is kinda annoying because the conversation always goes on one-sided in those situations xD I must say that happens quite a lot to me too. xD
I remember last year there was this chick I met, friend of a friend, and she was going around claiming to be a David Guetta fan but all she knew was, at that time, newest of his songs "Gettin' Over" and that was like all.... :S The conversation was very boring and I ended up criticizing her for being a plain liar to get attention. xD I guess I went overboard a little. :P

Miranda_ 09-15-2010 09:35 AM

There's nothing wrong with saying that you've heard a few songs; I like single songs from different artists/bands, but I'd never claim to be a fan. My best friend got me into Korn and Faith No More after I told her I'd only heard a few songs from each; now I'd say I was a fan of both bands, but I wasn't back then. XD

spirit_queen 09-15-2010 10:10 AM

Then I can't say I'm really a fan of any one thing, can I? >.> I listen literally to a bit of everything. But, then again, I typically don't go around using the word 'fan' to begin with; usually I'll say, "Oh, I really like/love their music." Then I'll talk about the music for a bit. But I've never claimed to be a hardcore fan of anyone. I just can't seem to obsess over and stick to just one or two groups of people.

Miranda_ 09-15-2010 10:29 AM

Well, seeing as fan is short for "fanatic"; unless you really are fanatical about a band, you can't really call yourself a fan if you only like one song.

Having said that, I'm not really bothered about the term "casual fan"; it's the people who claim to be mega fans of a band when they're not who annoy me. If you claim to be a Manics fan, for example, you really ought to be able to name all the members.

naruto_fan 02-29-2012 03:09 AM

This reminds me of thtis one girl I used to go to school with when I was in public school.

I'm a huge fan of Blood On The Dance Floor and they've really help me with a lot and they really love their fans. But she claims she loves them so much and she's only heard one song... that was when they first started.... and with Garret, noy Jayy. >.> I get saying you like a band after one song and you're hooked so you listen to more, thats what happend to me, heard one song and I was hooked now I love them to death. But saying you're crazy after one song and thats it, you don't even bother to hear more... then we have a problem.