Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/movie-reviews/)
-   -   Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/movie-reviews/22742-pirates-caribbean-4-a.html)

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 12-12-2010 10:38 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

PHOTOS: First Look At Johnny Depp And Penelope Cruz In New Pirates Movie! | Radar Online

Some pictures have been released of the new movie. Depp is returning as our favorite scoundrel, Sparrow, while Penelope Cruz is starring as a female pirate, Angelica, as they search for the fountain of youth. We know from past movies that Sparrow has been looking for this for awhile, so I'm excited they are finally continuing his side quest for youth.

I love Penelope's look in this movie and I'm glad to see what appears to be a strong female character not doing everything for a man or to spite a man. Hopefully she's not being included merely because they want a love interest for Sparrow. Also, Blackbeard! Anyone else excited for this?

LancasterPrincess 12-13-2010 10:09 AM

Ooo! I wonder how they'll pronounce "Angelica"? That's my name in Spanish, and it sounds really pretty. But if it's pronounced in the American way I might be more than a little disappointed.

My name is spelled the French way, but pronounced the English way. It's Angelique (An-gel-eek), but it's supposed to sound like (on-jgel-eek) with that odd Jguh sound I can't figure out how to spell xD

But if it's Spanish, which I'm hopeful since it's Penelope Cruz, it would be (On-hell-ih-ca) instead of the American version, like Rugrats. But chances are it'll be American's way, huh?

Hope that's not too far off topic, lol. Once I saw the name I got excited. Not that I wouldn't already be, I love Pirates of the Carribean!

Elanorea 12-13-2010 04:06 PM

Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first three movies, but this seems like such a forced attempt to continue the story beyond its natural end. Though I guess I can't blame them for wanting to milk the cash cow until it's dead.

spirit_queen 12-13-2010 05:34 PM

I fear this movie could go either way; it'll either be a fantastic continuation, or, like Elanorea says, just a money-sucker for Depp and Pirates in general fans. I do hope it's good, but, I'm a bit scared it won't live up to its predecessors.

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 12-14-2010 04:19 PM

The official trailer has been released. I saw this one with Depp's intro, which is longer than the rest, and thought you guys would appreciate it.

Lovie, looks like she's going to be Spanish! Maybe you lucked out and they will pronounce her name like you want.

I was feeling very ify about this movie, especially Cruz, but I feel better after seeing the trailer. I want to know why he's in London (I imagine the king has heard about his plans? Its interesting to wonder about the interaction there and what the king is going to look like) and how they plan on handling a female pirate captain. And mermaids! And old-school zombies! And more Keith Richards!

I'm curious about the younger woman that kept popping up in the trailer. I'm assuming she's a mermaid, but it looks like they are actually going to have a sideplot with her of some sort.

Also: points for the sword through the door move. Looks like Angelica is pretty fiesty!

Overall, I feel like I'm going to like this better than the other three. I never was crazy about the Bloom-Knightley focus. It got old pretty fast, especially since he was always good and always naive. It drove me nuts.

Aussiemum777 12-15-2010 11:21 PM

Thanks for posting that link, I cannot wait to see this movie! Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors and Penelope Cruz is also fabulous, I especially cant wait to see the mermaids and zombies.

incrediblehunk 12-16-2010 02:19 AM

@silver wolf thanks for your thread and the link.
I cant tell you how much i like johny depp's performance. And the pirates i believe thats a mile stone of his life.
the way he walking as a drink and way of his body language. Its just fantastic..

Cheshire1996 12-16-2010 06:24 PM

It does look interesting, It must be nearly impossible to find someone who plays Jack Sparrow as well as Depp and Angelica looks like an interesting character :3

Kitty I agree with you though, I really want to know who the younger girl who keeps showing up is...she looks as though she might have a fair bit to do with the plot.

AaronShadows 12-17-2010 01:34 AM

Asdsasfdgheraherahtrhtrh FLINTLOCK FIREARMS. IF THEY'RE IN THIS MOVIE, IT'LL ALL BE GOOD.

I have a bit of an obsession with Flintlock weapons atm. :lol:

fallen_angel_of_darkness66 06-03-2012 09:00 PM

it was a pretty good movie, darker than the first three but focused on sparrow this time around. introduce a fun scene of chaos within the first fifteen minutes, and i want to keep watching.

blackbeard, holy crap. very interesting how they explain the queen anne's revenge. zombies. what?

mermaids. beautiful, deadly creatures.

a missionary. i hated them but was a good character

the spanish! oh how i hated them even though i am part spainiard lol

worth seeing, i really mean it.

also, hayreddin barbarossa was redbeard the pirate... perhaps hector barbossa is a throwback to that?
Hayreddin Barbarossa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia