Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Movie Reviews All "In Theater" movie reviews and "coming soon" movie talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
eliginorski (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aries
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM

The humans basically want the Na'vi to move off of their land so they can mine for the precious material that's scattered throughout their woodland. The Na'vi don't want to move. That's a very basic description of the plot.
But if you want a more in-depth plot summary, you should just read this.

"I have always valued my lifelessness."

~Tik Tok (Return to Oz)

Last edited by Miranda_ : 08-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 01-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Just saw it today.

Approximately 3 hours of pure AWESOMENESS. =D I usually don't like movies like that and although some critics say that the dialogue is "campy" and "cheesy" and the plot is "unoriginal", I wholeheartedly disagree with that. The dialogue may not be the best ever in a movie, but it still helps get the point across and if it's a little cheesy sometimes, well, too bad. xD As for "unoriginal", really, almost every idea has been done. Cameron has had this idea in his brain for 12 years, I'm sure it's not intentionally "stolen" from anything. Besides, I thought it was pretty original by today's standards. Most new movies are remakes or sequels. Sherlock Holmes has been done before, Alice and Wonderland has been done, and I also saw a Robin Hood trailer. That's been done. So you could say those ideas are unoriginal too. I think some people just look for an excuse to not like it. Some people tend to hate on popular movies they haven't seen just because they're popular... >.>

Anyway, if you do have the money/time to go watch it, you definitely should. I'm already sure I'm buying this one on DVD when it comes out, so I can see the deleting scenes, commentary, and making-of bonus features. =P
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM

OMG!! The best movie ever!! I am so buying it when it comes out on DVD and I hardly ever do that.

Miranda, I do think you would like it because there were a lot of action scenes, a lot more than the trailers lead you to believe. It also has some interesting plot twists that you don't see coming.

I would have to say that this was pretty orginial. Not only does Hayley have a great point but also, I haven't seen anything to this scale. I mean, the basic plot has been done, but it has a lot of twists and turns that most people wouldn't see coming.

My favorite part would have to be though where Jake looks at Neytiri and says, "At first this was a mission, but then I started to fall in love with the forest and YOU! YOU!" That is so predictable but works every time! xD

OMG! Greatest movie EVER!!

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
(#24 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 01-29-2010, 03:34 PM

A little while back my dad took my mom and I to see it in 3D. Though the graphics were stunning, I found that the writers made the movie drag in a few places because they wanted an excuse to show off the scenery, which bugged me a bit.

I peg the movie to be cute and very fun, but actually found myself to be mildly disappointed; I heard nothing but how "AMAZING" it was, and so my expectations for it just kept building higher and higher. So, I probably set myself up, eh?

I do recommend seeing it, and I still think it's a good movie. I'm just not as wowed by the graphics as others are and have a tendency to like complex plotlines, I guess, and this movie had a somple one.

(Please do not attack me for my opinion. I was just saying what I personally feel. Also, I never said I hated this movie; on the contrary, I did enjoy it, just not quite as much as I thought I would.)

(#25 (permalink))
Old
phantomfan12 (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: Not Rated
Smile 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

I saw this movie a while ago, and I loved it =]
Quite a bit of it reminded me of Disney's Pochahantas, though...
They frequently referred to the Na'vi as "savages", they found precious material on the Na'vi's land, and wanted them to leave so that they could mine for it... See what I'm getting at here? Don't get me wrong, I completely loved the movie, but I found it funny that there were all of those connections to Pochahantas.

Remember, remember the fifth of November.
The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot...
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 02-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Like I said before, many people do compare it to Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves. However, there are only so many movie ideas, and you can really find connections in a lot of movies. For example, in the 80s movie The Heathers there were three popular girls (one brunette, two blondes - the leader being a blond that thinks everyone loves her) and one girl who becomes part of their group, and in the end she realizes she should just hang out with people she likes regardless of their social status. Sound familiar? It's much like Mean Girls with all those similarities. But there are also many differences. There are also many movies with the "Prince Charming" type story, but that doesn't make them copies. Similar though, yes. Still, most movies coming out are simply remakes, which you could say are even less creative in the fact that they're simply REMAKING an old movie/making a sequel/basing a movie off a book or video game, etc. :P

Actually, I really wouldn't be able to notice much of the similarities to Pochahontas if I didn't hear about them from critiques and such. I felt like I was watching a different movie than that. ^_^
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Sarah_K_O_M (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 22 Votes / 3.59 Average
Default 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM

I haven't managed to watch it yet, though I fully intend to, but I've heard a lot about it and read a few essays on it. A lot of people are saying that it's essentially 'liberal white guilt' in movie format, so I'll be watching out for that.

One really funny essay I read was about the Unobtainium. Summarised it was:
'So, the humans are trying to get this mineral that floats when subjected to a strong magnetic field. By the way, this takes place on a world with a strong magnetic field that has floating mountains. ...Wait a minute...."

"Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

-Bernard Malamud