Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/movie-reviews/)
-   -   The Golden Compass (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/movie-reviews/16907-golden-compass.html)

Miranda_ 12-01-2007 12:27 PM

The Golden Compass

Official site is here: Official Golden Compass New Movie Trailers: Eva Green, Nicole Kidman, Dakota Blue Richards, Sam Elliott, Daniel Craig New Movies

I had never heard of the book series that this film is based on before, but judging by the trailer it looks like something I'd like. I'll have to look them up; but I certainly intend to go see the movie when it comes out in cinemas. ^^

If you click on the site, you can get your own daemon (the site will tell you what that is when you click the "Meet your Daemon" link) by taking a short quiz. It gives you an embed, but I find the best way to post the result is to go into your email (it sends you the daemon to your email addy), crop and save the pic within the email to your image host. Here's my daemon below: (I blocked out my name)

Maddie705 12-01-2007 12:29 PM

My teacher requested i read that book.Im reading it currently and its very good.I may see the movie sometime.For my Daemon,i got Madisons dog Serena.

rjnjlolws 12-01-2007 12:35 PM

It's going to be an awesome movie- my daemon's a whippet. I'd really like to read the books, I just never bothered to look for them. :P

Rose36 12-01-2007 05:25 PM

Just a warning for you readers out there- it's very anti-religion (anti-authority too, but mostly against churches, particurlarly Catholicism), so if you're easily offended, I'd steer clear. The author has stated himself that he wrote these books as the exact opposites of the Narnia series, which were heavily pro-Christian.

Though I'm a Christian, I actually enjoyed the books because they're well-written and quite imaginative. I look forward to seeing the movie, though I know it will probably be toned down and probably not as good as I pictured it :P

Miranda_ 12-02-2007 09:38 AM

I'm not really bothered about rumours like that; after all, Harry Potter has been vilified by religious nuts, as has pretty much every decent book you could think of. Yes, the author is an atheist, but so what? That doesn't stop the book or film from being entertaining; who cares about the politics behind it if it's a good book or a good film? It's not like "Burn churches and kill priests" scrolls along the bottom of the screen while the film is playing. -_-

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 12-02-2007 10:30 PM

As for the movie, I'm really looking forward to it. I loved the books and hope they translate well on screen. I noticed they did the changing of Lyra's daemon fairly well, so I imagine they'll be able to pull off quite a lot from the actual books. I just hope they don't try to squeeze all three into one. That would make me cry...

I now know for certain that two more are going to follow it.

I'm seeing the film tonight, after fake-arguing with my father on how it isn't that bad of a movie. He says it might ruin my extreme religious upbringing due to its atheist nature xD

Miranda_ 12-08-2007 04:46 PM

I'm going to force my boyf to take me soon, maybe next week. ^^ I can't wait!

Sarah_K_O_M 12-08-2007 06:33 PM

I really want to see it with my dad or my friends. It looks fantastic, and it makes me want to read the books.

I got a Fox Demon.

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 12-08-2007 10:42 PM

Just saw it! A definate must see. The film kept fairly true to the books, minus some order-changes(we see the Panserbjørn before Bolvanger, unlike in the books) and an early ending(cutting out the book ending, which is presumably being saved for the next movie). I can understand the ending change as the original ending is tragic and it connects better with the second book anyways.

I really fell in love with it. The movie is definately understandable for anyone who hasn't read the books, but be warned that it is religious. In fact, the religion vs. free will theme is very strong in it, despite all the trouble from Christian groups. Another thing, the daemon-human customs might be difficult to understand at first. For those who go, I suggest you keep in mind that it is taboo in their culture to touch another person's daemon(this comes into play later in the books). Its just something that is only mentioned briefly, but is fairly obvious from the connection between the two.

delly1 12-29-2007 01:32 AM

to be honest with you I thought the movie wasnt as good as I was hoping I thought it was some what like Narnia in a way. The effects in the movie were good though:D