Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Movie Reviews All "In Theater" movie reviews and "coming soon" movie talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Haha, Philip Pullman will kill you now for saying that; he wanted his books to be the opposite of the Narnia books.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-01-2008, 09:24 AM

You really thought it was like Narnia? I personally didn't see any similarities and I have read both series and watched both movies. The Golden Compass was meant to be in a world like ours, so I can't even fathom how you got to Narnina since that series doesn't have witches(Besides Jade), talking polar bears(although there are talking animals in Narnia, no polar bears), a very different landscape, and a very different plot too.

I don't think Pullman would kill you over the comparison, but he did mean the series to counteract the religious aspects of Narnia.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Oh, I think he would. XD Possibly with the subtle knife.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM

Oh my, that would make for a terrible end since I don't have any bloodmoss I'd prefer to not end up like Will. Terrible not being able to stop his bleeding with anything except the bloodmoss ointment.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 01-01-2008, 09:36 AM

And so ew, to not have precious fingers. O_o I swear, when I read that bit I winced. XD

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM

I wonder if they are going to tone it down in the next movie to make it a little more kid friendly. That'd be really terrible since it showed he was the Bearer.

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 01-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Yeah; there are some things that can't really be removed; like the psycho children in the last book, or all the deaths. O_o

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM

If they removed the psycho children, it would give them no real reason to leave Cittagazze. The first movie had a lot of death though and it also included the ripping off of the jaw, so maybe they won't be so squeamish about a few missing fingers and lots of blood. One thing is for certain, they have to include the cat abuse by the psycho children. It was how they discovered they weren't from their world.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 01-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Besides, the psycho children are realistic. XD

(#20 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 01-06-2008, 02:06 PM

I read these books long before the movie was in the making. When I found out that it was, I was so excited! These are my favorite books, the story and character development is amazing!
I went and saw the movie on the first saturday it was open. I couldn't watch it that friday because I was out of town on survey. I was very impressed with the interpretation. It was good, at least as much as a movie made after a book can be. The changes they made seemed appropriate for the general audience, and they really played down the anti-religion aspect. Of course, The Golden Compass was much tamer in that aspect than The Subtle Knife or The Amber Spyglass.
I have heard that they may not make the last two because of the turnout of the first one. Is that true?

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde