Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Homework Help Questions and problems from school. Post any school question or problem and we will try to help.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default Subect Help: Math - 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Approved Helpers:
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty(Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus)
-TheHayleyDoll(Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Others)

Post any questions about Math here. Question topics include, but are not limited to:
-Algebra
-Geometry
-Algebra II
-Trigonometry & Calculus

Question Form
Topic(please include the subtopic. ex--> Alegbra: Probability):
Question:

Av & Sig Credit: Me

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-25-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Question: Algebra

Ok, so I'm not in honors, so this might sound easy, but I don't get it. We need to use the distributive property to rewrite these expressions....my teacher talks way to fast so I didn't get it all down...if you don't mind can you give steps? I have to do 6 of these, but I'll put one down.

-5(m+12) I'm probably wrong, but I got -5m+(-5)12
Not really understanding anything...

an example without () is....
18x-6 probably wrong again, but I got, 18(3x-1)

:P any help?
Thank You!!!

PS...he said no =

others: I might need help with

3+24p

8(-5-x)

10(0.5-0.5w)

12-4t

I put answers to all of these, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got them all wrong.

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..

Last edited by iluvdolphin6 : 09-17-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 09-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Topic: Algebra -> formulas?
Question:I'm in geomerty this year, but right now we're doing a ton of Algebra 1 reviews, and I can't remeber how you answer this question:

Factor completely:
y(squared) - 6y - 55

and again,

6t(squared) - t - 5

Can someone please help me with this? >_<

baby, you got me. ♥
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xXGrimReaperXx (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 6 Votes / 3.67 Average
Default 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM

I need help with a question.It's HW due 2 days from now since tommorrow we have this thing so whatever.It's Pre-Algebra + Algebra.So it's kinda both.The question is:

6(to the power of 4)+3(t-6)=3t-7

I have to solve it.
Here's my work:
24+3(t-6)=3t-7
24+3t-6=3t-7
-24 +24

3t-6=3t-31
-6 +6

3t=3t-37
-3 +3
t=3t-40
-3 +3
t=43

Is this wrong??
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

iluvdolphin, you had the first one correct You are just supposed to distribute it throughout the parentheses. Same applies to the others with it.
As for the second, you made a minor mistake. If 18 is in front of the x, it is a multiple of a number. Notice how the last was 6, which is a multiple of 18. You divided each number inside by 6, but you kept the 18 for some reason even though its a multiple So, while you had the inside correct, the 18 should be 6. To check this, you would need to try to redistribute it and see if it equals the original problem. When doing problems like this, you should always see if the number without the letter could be divided into the one in front of the letter. If it can, you can reduce the numbers in it.

antimaie, do you remember how those formulas are factored? In the end, you are supposed to get something like (#x+/-#)(#x+/-#). I'll take your first problem and show you how.
y^2 - 6y - 55
So, looking at this problem, you know absolutely that the first letters of each parenthese does not have a number in front of it because there are none proceeding the ys, so you have part of your problem (y+/-#)(y+/-#).
Next, we look at the signs. Notice that they are -s, which means that there is a + in one and a - in the other parenthese because when you distribute the equation, a positive number times a negative number produces negative numbers. So, we know that it must now be (y+#)(y-#).
We are left now figuring out what numbers not only multiply to equal -55, but also will equal -6 when added together. You'll want to list out all of the multiples.
-11 x 5
11 x -5
-1 x 55
1 x -55
Those are all you can get with whole numbers. Next, you determine if any will equal -6. So, if you look below, I have added them together now.
-11 + 5 = -6
11 + -5 = 6
-1 + 55 = 54
1 + -55 = -54
So, the first pair is the only option, so your factored equation would be (y+5)(y-11).
This would change a bit will numbers in front of the "y" value. In your second problem, 6t^2 - t - 5, you begin differently, first figuring out what values will multiply together to get 6. That is 6 and 1, 2 and 3, the best option would be the 6 and 1 because you need to determine what numbers will add/subtract to equal -1(-6+5=-1). So, you begin with (6t+/-#)(1t+/-#). Next, you'll want to figure out what'll equal 5, which is simply 1 x 5. The tough part is then figuring out which one each number belongs in. If 6 is multiplied by 5, you will end up with -29, so you know now that 6 and 5 have to be in the same parenthese so they aren't multiplied together so your factoring is now at (6t+/-5)(1t+/-1). The final step is determining the signs. To get a -1, the 6 would have to be multipled with a negative number since it is larger, so you now have (6t+5)(1t-1). Just redistribute to check.

Grim, first off, with exponents(which is what I'm assuming you mean by "to the power of 4"), it is not the lower number times the exponent(what you did was 6 x 4 = 24), it is the lower number multipled by itself the exponent number's amount of times(in this case, 4, so it'd be 6 x 6 x 6 x6 = 1296). So, your equation would then be
1296 + 3(t-6) = 3t -7
not what you listed. Your second issue is when you distribute a number through parentheses(in this case 3(t-6)), you need to multiply everything incide the parentheses by the outside number, in this case positive three, so your problem would then be:
1296+3t-18=3t-7
Strangely enough, I'm looking at that equation, and it wouldn't work because the ts would cancel each other out. To explain, you don't subtract the 3 from the t since they are being multipled together, so you would divide each side by three. Once that is done, you would want to isolate the t, but since they are equal to each other, they would cancel each other out(t-t=0). Are you sure that was written down right? That doesn't make sense and there is something seriously wrong with the equation since my only other thought is you are supposed to factor the left, but there is no variable with the exponent part.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-22-2009 at 12:15 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks Kitty, I knew how to do it; but after 2 horrible student teachers, and a summer of brain rotting, I totally forgot how to do it. xD

But it makes much more sense now. ;D

baby, you got me. ♥
(#7 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 1 Equation Problem - 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM

question: Equation

Ok, so I should probably get this, but for some reason I don't...

8=4(q-2)+4
If you could please show your work and show the value of q that would be great!!

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Well, what we are doing is solving for q and to do that you want to isolate q. So, your first step is to distribute the 4(this is just to prevent confusion), so now we have:

8=4q-8+4

Now that we are starting on the actualy equation, it is important to remember that whatever is done to one side must be done to the other to keep it balanced. Next, divide by four on both sides. So, now we have:

2=q-2+1

Next, subtract 1 from each side. That will leave:

1=q-2

Finally, you want to add the 2 to both sides. So, our answer is:

3=q

Does that make sense?

Closed Thread