Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default The "Pro Ana" Movement - 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Yet another crazy health thing I came across... I was watching Dr. Oz and they talked today about the "Pro Ana" movement and OH MY GOD. I AM DISTURBED.

This is the opposite of my other thread about wanting to be obese, there are people who want to be anorexic and there are websites that ENCOURAGE this behavior! This is this most disturbing thing, and I feel so bad for these poor girls! Anorexia is a disease and if you have it, you need to get treatment. These girls think they have control, but they don't. Anorexia and other ED's are not to be glorified!

I looked up "pro ana" and one of the links that came up was "70 Reasons Not To Eat!" I couldn't read it without my heart breaking. Things like, "Guys will like you!" or "You'll look good in a bikini!"... not to mention lies like, "You don't NEED food," or "Thin people get better jobs." ... But the most crushing for me was, "YOU DIE BEAUTIFUL". O_O

My mother went through a period where she didn't eat. She got down to under 90lbs at 5'9". The road to recovery was very difficult for her because she had done so much damage that she couldn't eat. She'd have to run to the bathroom during nearly every meal to throw it up because her body could not stomach it.

My best friend also battled anorexia. She would only eat when I was around because she didn't want me to worry. She later thanked me because if it wasn't for me inviting her to dinner all the time and being such a close friend, she admits she would probably not be eating at all. She has also done irreversible damage to her body.

I hate that websites out there are promoting this. One of his guests said, "It's like having a pro-cancer site." I agree. Eating disorders are NOT the way to lose weight.

If anyone IS battling an eating disorder, please get help. Do not listen to what those sites tell you those lies. Go to therapy and get better. Get healthy. You will be much better off healthy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!