Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default Smoking Bans - 03-21-2012, 02:46 AM

Let me start by saying I do NOT smoke cigarettes. I do not plan on starting up, but I have no problems with people who do. My parents smoke, some of my best friends smoke... I really do not care, because it is their decision and I respect that.

Recently (more specifically, TODAY) I heard on the news the province of Ontario is starting a ban on smoking in restaurant patios and they are going to eliminate all designated smoking rooms in bars (Smoke-free Living - Toronto Public Health). Incredibly dumb. Smoking in restaurants and bars isn't allowed where I'm living, so many customers go out on the patio for a quick smoke before returning inside. This is no longer an acceptable thing, apparently, because it is "unhealthy to non-smokers on the patio" or something like that.

Like I said, I don't smoke, and this is ridiculous. They're OUTSIDE the building. It's not like any smoker would puff smoke right into someone else's face or anything, it'll just get carried away by air. That's why it's allowed OUTSIDE. Next it's going to be "NO SMOKING WHILE WALKING/STANDING OUTSIDE OF YOUR PROPERTY". I guess to the government, smokers are like the plague and must be confined to their own homes - or at least, for now, away from patios.

Obviously, this particular ban isn't universal, and I'm sure it's probably different by city, so what are the bans in your hometown? Do they already have this ridiculousness? Do they still allow indoor smoking? What do you think about this particular ban? Is it going too far, or do you agree with the city that it is unfair to non-smokers who just want to go out on the patio for some fresh air? COMMENT!

Fourth Clue: Go to the thread that's all about happiness.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 10-15-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 03:03 AM

I'm sorry but I'll be glad for the day when non-smokers don't have to be burdened with other's poor health choices. I cannot stand the smell of smoke, which is odd since my mother is a chainsmoker. It never used to bother me, but I guess moving away and not having to deal with it everyday has spoiled my lungs after 18 years of defilement.

Most important to my agreement was my recent experience with my pregnancy. The smell was completely nauseating, and harmful to my baby. It was always very irritating to have to be near someone puffing away all the healthy air with their noxious fumes.

Restaurants own that land, inside and out. It should be their decision, and personally, I'd support any pro-healthy establishment in agreeing to this. And if it's forced, YAY for all of us who chose not to blacken our lungs and who want to keep their children safe!

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
naruto_fan (Offline)
Candybar

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.25 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 03:33 AM

I have a friend who used to smoke, quit after a health scare, and as well finding out he his a father, a teen one at that, good thing he changed for the better.

While I do agree that the air will just carry it away, but someone standing in the way of the wind, and gets smacked with a cloud of smoke, is not good, esp if that person has asthma.

Also, making smoking areas a few feet away from non-smokers is best as well. I'm gonna bring up Disneyland and say that they do have smoking areas, good news is that it is away from children and a few feet away where tons of people are at.

Of course, I am not safe from my home tho. Father smokes, so whenever I'm out and he's away smoking somewhere else, my lungs have a chance to breathe and I don't have to worry about my chronic asthma.

"Ever since I can remember, became aware of my surroundings,
there are a lot of other Idol groups out there.
But... it's no good if it's not Morning Musume,
if it's not Morning Musume I don't want to be a part of it."

Gif Credit
(#4 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterPrincess View Post
I'm sorry but I'll be glad for the day when non-smokers don't have to be burdened with other's poor health choices. I cannot stand the smell of smoke, which is odd since my mother is a chainsmoker. It never used to bother me, but I guess moving away and not having to deal with it everyday has spoiled my lungs after 18 years of defilement.

Most important to my agreement was my recent experience with my pregnancy. The smell was completely nauseating, and harmful to my baby. It was always very irritating to have to be near someone puffing away all the healthy air with their noxious fumes.

Restaurants own that land, inside and out. It should be their decision, and personally, I'd support any pro-healthy establishment in agreeing to this. And if it's forced, YAY for all of us who chose not to blacken our lungs and who want to keep their children safe!
This. I'm a second-hand smoker against my will, and I wish my parents gave as much of a da.mn as you. My mother sometimes just ignores me and tries to hide it behind her back like a small child caught with a stolen cookie, or makes some ridiculous excuse like "it's going up the chimney because I'm holding it here, in front of and above the fireplace." My father looks at me funny, when he's around.

I'm sick of breathing in clouds of their putrid poison. I'm sick of having to think about getting some kind of cancer because of them and I'm really sick of it making the asthma they probably gave me worse. I wouldn't care as much as I do, but then dear mammy tells me never to drink or take drugs (and I don't) or smoke, and breathes a cloud of the vile filth at me. Uh, I'm already smoking, courtesy of you.

To hell with smoking everywhere, period. Let the nicotine addicts whine and cry until the tears flood the world.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM

What happens when something YOU do is made against the law? Then what? Smoking bans are basically the start of a nanny state, the start of the government insisting that it's their right to poke their noses into everything we do.

I smoke. I enjoy smoking, and all my friends do. While I don't mind sitting outside to smoke; I rode a motorbike for years and got used to freezing to death so don't really care about weather conditions, I find that a lot of nonsmokers exaggerate their so called "sensitivity" and therefore erode sympathy.

For example, once in the park a woman plonked herself down next to me and started whining about the smoke from my cigarette. I told her that she chose to sit next to me, when there was at least two empty benches so she could put up with the smoke or shut up. Then there's the people who fake cough and pretend they have asthma. My cousin has asthma so I know what an asthma attack sounds like, and it doesn't sound like a dainty cough.

Smoking bans should be up to the restaurant or pub owner. If anything causes problems as per smoke, it's the amount of cars and other vehicles that are on the roads. Walking by the side of the road, riding a bicycle or motorbike will cause you to breathe in far more dangerous fumes than you'd get from a whiff of cigarette smoke.

Smoking and Your Health | Your Doctor's Orders

It's ironic really; the government keep on raising the price of cigarettes, but they would hate it if everyone suddenly quit; for one thing, the NHS would be out of pocket as it's tax from cigarettes which helps keep it afloat. What costs the NHS the most money is the elderly and the obese. Why not stop demonising smokers and start on the lardy who for whatever reason can't take their heads out the trough?

(#6 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Just to be clear, I don't randomly attack and scream at smokers. I know it's an addiction and difficult to curb. The whole "choose to be near smokers" thing isn't exactly a good excuse. I'd much rather not be smoked out of the room whenever someone lights up or have to scurry to the other side of some walking chimney with a sooty face to match every time the wind changes.

It's also a fact that for some ridiculous reason, it's socially acceptable to hurl abuse at smokers... but not fat people. This doesn't make sense to me, or to my science teacher, who pointed it out. He's got this hilarious tendency for insulting americans, fat people, or anyone else he fancies defaming. XD

But yeah. Perhaps if fatties were presented with the harsh reality of what they're doing to themselves, they wouldn't be as prevalent as they are.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM

They shouldn't get gastric surgery on the NHS either; it's basically a self inflicted illness that they haven't paid a penny towards. Smokers and drinkers at least help pay for any illnesses they get thru their taxes. I also hate reading about people who bleat, "I can't diet!" when told to lose weight. Bullpoop. What they mean is that they don't want to stop stuffing their faces and would prefer surgery to actually getting off their fat butts and making some effort.

I smoke to relax and cuz I like it; I'm not actually addicted. I've gone without smoking for weeks and months before, for example if I'm on holiday with nonsmokers, I'll stop. Alcohol is far more damaging than cigarettes; I've never seen anyone smoke ten ciggies then start a fight, but I've seen plenty of boozed up people do that.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Yay, I thought this would spark a little debate. =D

Like I said before, my parents have smoked ever since I can remember. My father has tried quitting so many times and I've told my mother to quit at least a dozen times throughout my childhood. I hate the smell of smoke, BUT I have learned to deal with it.

Quote:

Smoking bans should be up to the restaurant or pub owner.
Exactly this. I don't think it's fair the the government to decide. If it's a family restaurant, it's reasonable to not allow smoking on the patio, but for a bar or pub? It just doesn't seem very fair. If I go out drinking with my friends and they have to go have a smoke, you're telling me they have to completely walk off the property? What about standing just outside the patio space? Is that allowed?

I will say, I understand your arguments, naruto, aaron, and lancaster. However, I'm really not talking about the smokers who stand right next to you, or smoking around children and pregnant mothers. We're all people, smokers or not, and many people respect the space of others. But having a cig while chatting outside with some friends when no one else is around? Shouldn't be an issue. This should be a courtesy thing, not a law, IMO.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-22-2012, 03:04 AM

Smoking has been banned in Illinois in public places for about 6-8 years now, I think. I used to get asthma attacks really bad when I was younger, and I have to hold my breath when walking around campus. What bothers me is that we have designated smoking areas, which I know I need to avoid if I want to avoid the smoke, but the smokers never use the, instead choosing to smoke in the area labeled "This is a smoke-free zone. The designated area is 100 feet away." I understand that they want to be close enough to go inside, but they are breaking the rules. It gets to the point where I will take the long was around inside the buildings (most are connected) so I don't have to go outside. The smell of cigarette smoke literally makes me want to throw up, and I do mean literally; that's why I need to hold my breath walking past. Frankly, the blatant disregard on-campus smokers have for the designated areas makes me wish it were possible to crack down on and ban smoking altogether, but there is absolutely no feasible way to do that, especially when the rules are already being broken.

I remember back when the Illinois smoking ban was initially started, multiple articles showed up with stories of waitresses and bartenders who had contracted various forms of cancer due to second-hand smoke. As a nonsmoker, it is easy to feel that the conscious choices of other people to smoke in public is directly detrimental to my own well being. I don't care if you smoke in the privacy of your own home; just don't stand in every path I need to walk through (that was a general you by the way, not directed at any individual but rather those people that don't read the signs on campus). I get that smoking can be addictive, and may be social, but I don't see it as a thing I would want to put into my body, and when others smoke in public, I feel like they are taking that choice away from me. I am probably biased since my parents are both very anti-smoking, but I know my dad at least is much more worried about cigar smoke. Now, it's not to the point where I will confront a smoker or slyly try to make my discomfort known; I just walk quickly past them and try to hold my breath as long as I can, hopefully with the wind blowing the smoke away from me and not int my air passages. Do I disapprove of smoking? Yes, but only because I do not see the appeal at all. Like, I could understand WHY someone would smoke **** because of the psychogenic factor, but I'm pretty sure cigarettes lack that kind of pain-releaving power if nicotine has not already been introduced into the body. Once someone starts smoking, I understand that they may never be able to quit and that it may cause relief because of nicotine's addictive nature, but what I don't understand is why people start in the first place when they know the large number of risks and relatively small number of possible benefits that may or may not actually appear.

tl;dr: I support banning public smoking, but I also realize there is no realistic way to enforce such a ban.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the post, bella. =)

The other day I was standing inside a bus stop shelter, which has painted right on it "no smoking" repeated all the way around it. However, these two boys came in because it was cold and the one asked if it was okay if he smoked in here. I actually wasn't sure how to respond, but I jumbled together a "yeah, uh, sure...?" I wasn't sure that was the right answer after I heard his friend say, "Why'd you even ask her?" in a super smug way that told me they weren't going to stop anyway. An older lady then walked in and he asked her as well, to which she said, "No, I'm sorry." They huffed off, seemingly upset and thinking the lady was a prude for saying so.

It was a NON smoking zone, but they didn't care.

I do realize though, this is not ALL smokers. For every smoker who acts this way, I know there are more than a few who would have been respectful and stayed outside (unless the shelter was empty).

Bella did mention a huge problem with smoking bans - being able to enforce such a ban at all. Unless the government is very strict, it won't work. Kind of like smoking marijuana where I live, or underage smoking and drinking. The government is very lax on these illegal activities, making the laws completely useless. I happened to be walking in a park when I noticed a bunch of teenagers smoking pot being confronted by police. Only one was arrested - the one who gave them the drugs. The drug use itself wasn't a big deal.

If smoking was to be banned in public places, it would just be another one of those pointless laws. Too many people do it to simply be able to enforce it.