Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM

I don't see why smoking has to be banned in public places; as long as it's outside, then fine cuz no-one owns the outside. Lots of people do things outside that other people don't like; for example, spitting, swearing, exposing parts of their body (ie muffin tops and builder's cleavages), emitting noxious fumes (body odour or strong perfume/aftershave), allowing children to shriek, flipping gum on to the floor etc etc. However, you don't see the moral majority cry to ban all those.

You might say, "Yes, but they don't damage health", well, spitting does. There actually used to be a law against it in England cuz TB (tuberculosis) was prevalent and spitting helped spread the disease. While TB is under control now, I still find spitting to be repellant, personally. And if you click the link I provided in a previous post, you'll find that the idea that passive smoking is incredibly damaging to health is in fact a myth; you'd only get health damage if you say were the wife of a man who continually smoked around you. Just walking past someone smoking on the street and catching a whiff won't do you any harm.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM

I agree that the effects of second-hand smoke are probably exaggerated, but there have been some studies that found a link between workplace exposure to second-hand smoke and risk of lung cancer.

On principle, I don't think smoking should be banned, because the government doesn't get to control what people ingest into their own bodies; but it should be restricted in some cases when its effects are harmful to other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda_ View Post
spitting, swearing, exposing parts of their body (ie muffin tops and builder's cleavages), emitting noxious fumes (body odour or strong perfume/aftershave), allowing children to shriek, flipping gum on to the floor etc etc. However, you don't see the moral majority cry to ban all those.
Public nudity and littering are in fact illegal in a number of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronShadows View Post
It's also a fact that for some ridiculous reason, it's socially acceptable to hurl abuse at smokers... but not fat people.
What planet do you live on where it's not acceptable to bully fat people and how do I move there?

Last edited by Elanorea : 04-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 04-05-2012, 02:03 PM

I wish spitting was punishable by law. I stepped in a loogey at the supermarket one time, and I about died. *vomitshiverdies*

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-06-2012, 07:20 AM

I want the anti spitting law to be brought back in. It's disgusting and unsanitary and while it might not spread TB, it's nasty if someone does it near you.

Most people I know who are smokers are considerate about where their smoke goes. In my experience, it's the rabid anti-smokers who are the rude ones.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM

It's great to know you and your friends care, but at my school, the smokers are all jerks who don't give a hoot about where their smoke goes; only reason they go outside is because it's required. I have a friend who chokes up around cig smoke and has a hard time breathing, and she has to make huge detours to avoid the smoking spots.

I have smoking relatives, and they're considerate; I don't have all smokers. I just wish the inconsiderate ones wouldn't ruin it for everyone else.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM

I think the annoying school smokers that you know, Spirit, are that was mostly because they're teenagers and haven't matured yet. So, they're not inconsiderate because they're smokers, but because they're immature.

When I was in high school, there was one smoking spot, which was technically right off of school property. Unfortunately, it was right on the sidewalk, but it's not that hard to walk across the street if the couple seconds of walking past them was that much of an annoyance. It's not like you have to stand there for a long period of time. Cigarette smoke bothered me a lot when I was younger, but I learned to deal because it's not something that can just be avoided. I'm not going to stay away from my friends just because they smoke. It's their choice.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-12-2012, 08:08 PM

They're hardly children, they're college students; eighteen and older, for the most part. And a friend of mine really does have allergic reactions.

Me? I don't care; mom used to be a chain smoker, brother still is. I'm used to it. I just feel bad for some of my more sensitive friends, is all.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 06-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Oh, I forgot you were in college now. Time flies. xD Well, they can still be immature. What I'm saying though is just that they aren't that way because they're smokers, and if they didn't smoke, they'd have other ways to be inconsiderate.

I would feel sorry for more sensitive friends too, but do you not have designated smoking spots? I know at my college that you aren't allowed to smoke in high-traffic areas and pathways. Something like that would solve your problem without being as invasive as a public smoking ban.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM

I know not all smokers are like that; mom and my bro smoke exclusively in the basement or outside.

Also, as long as you don't smoke in the buildings at all, they don't care about where you smoke, and they all go to smoke right outside the freshman dorms because thee's a cute lil garden there... which the worst group usually trashes.

Now, there are definitely nice smokers there... I know a few. But, as is typical, the few bad ones are ruining it for everyone else.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM

The same could be said of any inconsiderate group, tho; like towns that introduce curfews to all teens, cuz of a few idiots who go out after hours and cause havoc.

I always sit outside my flat to smoke, cuz it just stinks up the place otherwise. Oh, and it turns white walls yellow... ick.