Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Health Forum (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/)
-   -   Asthma? (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/22839-asthma.html)

naruto_fan 03-04-2011 10:16 PM

Asthma?

Anyone here have asthma? Or is it just me? Do you know anyone with asthma?
I have it. Ever since I was born really. During winter it can be a pain. In Jan I was sent to the ER becuase of an asthma attack. And if you have asthma, you know when you get sick with a sinus infection, you know your parents have to catch it fast before it travels to your lungs.

Aihana_ 03-05-2011 02:33 AM

Yup Yup Yup. I remember when I was a little youngin' I had to stay overnight at the hospital in an oxygen tent on IV. It was frightening. Cold turn into bronchitis then pneumonia and it's really not that fun. Sports suck. Some nights you can't sleep because you can't breathe properly. At the hospital they ordered a childs sized mask because I didn't fit the adult one and I was the only child who showed up often enough. Almost died a few times from it.

You can control your asthma, and even outgrow it for a while but it's sort of always lingering.

naruto_fan 03-05-2011 01:44 PM

^ Awwww. My poor Ehgee!!
Yeah. Sports do suck when you have asthma. It's not fun. I remeber in 8th grade I had to sit out during PE for a week or two because of my asthma. Also, my sytem also my shut down becuase of it. I think my doctor said my lungs were working at 27% or was it in the 30's at the time. I had to have a breathing treatment there. After that, things got better. In fact, I am on a breathing treatment right now. T.T

It's sad that there isnt a cure for asthma. It sucks when a person with chronic asthma and it's attacking up. Am I the only one who gets back pains because of it?

Aihana_ 03-11-2011 01:45 AM

It's considered an allergy. I had an attack this week infact. My cow of a coach wouldn't let me leave even though I was begging. I left anyways.

naruto_fan 03-11-2011 02:22 PM

Yeah. WHAT!? Thats messes up!!!! Your okay now right?
I'm having problems with my asthma. It's the weather... >.<

Elanorea 03-23-2011 07:05 AM

One of my friends has asthma. When we were in high school, she insisted on doing all the activities in PE class including stuff like long distance running. Kept freaking our teacher out since she sometimes had trouble breathing afterwards. But she just couldn't handle sitting still :lol:.

Though it's obviously a pain for her since she has really bad allergies and stuff and always gets really sick in spring/early summer due to all the pollen in the air.

naruto_fan 03-23-2011 01:45 PM

It's pain for alot of people. I have really bad allergies too. Although my asthma acts up in winter.
I'm a dancer and dancing during winter can be a pain just after one song. >.<

AaronShadows 04-19-2011 11:41 AM

I'm asthmatic. It's the bane of my life, besides numerous other health conditions which are very annoying, too. But, I would say asthma is one of my biggest health problems, and if I had an opportunity to have any single one of them cured, I'd almost certainly go for curing my asthma.

I used to think it would never end, and that I'd eventually end up a wheezing wreck, but I somehow managed to walk eight kilometers... so, I'm not nearly as hopeless as before now. ='D

Asthma can be beaten, as long as you try. For those who don't have it, I'll try to describe what it's like. For me, it feels like whenever I move around too much, somebody puts a noose around my neck. The more I carry on, the tighter the noose becomes, until I take my inhaler. Usually it isn't life threatening if you have your inhalers handy to relieve it (lots of different inhalers exist. I use a reliever and a preventer- the preventer helps to slow asthma down, kind of, and I take it after the reliever, which is the equivalent of locking the door after kicking an unwelcome guest out, if that makes sense.) A management technique I use is to breath in through my nose, then out through my mouth consciously whenever I find myself getting asthmatic. You actually don't draw more oxygen in if you breath through your mouth, but in fact less. This way, I get more oxygen than if I gasped through my mouth, which makes me feel much better. I discover when I continue some physical activity for an extended period of time, I end up more or less outrunning my asthma, and it doesn't come back until well after I stop. I'm not sure if that's the force of an adrenaline rush, or what, but yeah.

I don't claim to be an expert about it, but I'm sure the reason asthma is so debilitating is because it prevents oxygen from reaching the bloodstream, and being carried to the muscles around your body, which is why when somebody's asthma acts up everything feels harder to do.

I can't really state many facts about asthma attacks, as I haven't had too many and I was too busy gasping for dear life to question the doctor on exactly what was going on when I had.

Asthma doesn't get along well with dust, fumes or other small particles that can clog airways.

And interesting fact is that humans don't know how to breath- look around you and you'll see a lot of people breathing differently. Some heavily, some shallow, some through their mouth, some through their nose, blahblahblah. Look at any animals and you'll find they all breath the same way as other member of their species. We humans seem to have lost the art of doing it right. XD

Another way to minimise asthma is to maintain a normal weight and healthy level of fitness. That more or less goes without saying, but it's worth putting it out there anyway. Avoiding smoking anything or drugs is another obvious one, but some people might not make the connection that inhaling smog is bad for your lungs, and even worse if you have asthma. XD

naruto_fan 04-19-2011 05:08 PM

For me, when my asthma acts up, I have an inhaler and that helps, but if it's like the asthma attack I had in Jan, a breathing treatment helps, but not in that case, only becuase I needed to change my meds, I wasnt as hyper as I got when I frist started it.
Like Aaron said, it's best if you ignore drugs. To me and others, it's not easy if one of your parents smoke. I was born with asthma, my father smokes. Once born with asthma, the baby may have trouble breathing and have to be hooked up to machines before the doctors find out what it is. That is was happened to me. My mother told me I had trouble breathing on my own when I was born.
Asthma can also be gentic. My brother had it and I have it. It skipped my mother. That was also why I had trouble breathing once born.

AaronShadows 04-21-2011 10:18 AM

Both my parents smoke. On the other side of the room from me. And then they have the gall to whinge when I open the window to clear the smog so that I can have the luxury of breathing clearly. :roll: