Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default Just Can't Relax - 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM

So I've had this issue all sorts of ways. It first started with my legs, in paticular, only my left leg. I would get into bed, and no matter what I did, no matter how I positioned myself, my left leg would not stop being uncomfortable. As a last resort I would toss it over the side of the bed which would make my leg 'fall asleep'. Luckily, my leg isn't the issue anymore because that really was never pleasant.

It then traveled to my neck. No matter what, my neck would not get comfortable. The only way to appease it would be to take my pillow and roll it under my neck. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it was enough to let me go to sleep.

Now even rolling my pillow just won't work. Add to that my shoulders have started to act up. My neck is comfortable when I lay on my sides, but my shoulders will have no part in that, they only want me laying on my back with the pillow rolled under my neck.

I've recently started listening to a hypnosis type thing, and it starts off by relaxing the body. The thing works for every part of my body except for my neck and sometimes my shoulders. The good news is I've figured out my issue: My muscles in those areas aren't releasing their tension at night.

I've spoken to my husband about this issue to ask him if there were any medications I could take that would help (he's a certified pharmacy technician) and he said I should probably go to the doctor asking about muscle relaxants.

My questions to you all is:

Does anyone take muscle relaxants? What are the effects of the medication? What exactly does it do? How often do you take them, what do you take them for?

OR

Does anyone else have these issues? And if so, what do you do?

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM

It sounds like restless legs to me; someone I know, her mum had that for a while.

Restless Legs Syndrome | Health | Patient UK

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM

But what of the neck? I've heard of RLS, but RNS? (It's possible, but I've never heard of it.)

I think only a doctor can help you much, Lovie.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Maybe the neck thing is something else? I agree; go see a doctor.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 01-28-2010, 04:41 PM

I'm definately going to a doctor about it, but I'm a bit wierded out by the possibility of using a muscle relaxant. My minds eye is picturing a limp noodle xD I just don't know anything about the medication and was wondering if anyone else knew anything of it.

When it was just my leg I'd thought it was RLS, but my leg isn't the issue anymore. The only thing that bothers me below the waist are my feet which refuse to be covered up with blankets.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM

The feet thing isn't weird; I've hated blankets over my feet for as long as I can remember. XD

Try asking your hubby?

(#7 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 01-28-2010, 04:48 PM

I would (and have), but he only deals with the pills. He knows what they're for, side effects, what you shouldn't eat/drink with them, which manufacturer makes them, which is the cheapest and so on, but he doesn't know specifics about how they actually affect patients, just what they're used for and background knowledge.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM

I can't say I've ever used muscle relaxants, but I do have RLS(it runs in my family) that is rather similar to this(discomfort regardless of position, with the added bonus of twitching legs, kicking, and feeling the discomfort build up in my legs). I know some people use this trick to get their legs to relax(not me) and in theory it should work for your neck/shoulders too. I'd suggest applying a heating pad there or even taking a bath at night before bed, which is supposed to help relax you. A massage at night might help too with releasing the tension. I do that sometimes when the discomfort in my legs is mild so that I don't have to get up and pace/exercise for a bit.

Just some thoughts to tide you through. Wish I could help you with the muscle relaxant business, but I don't even know anyone who has used them... Second thought, Jason's mom probably has used them. She's got every med in the book, so I will ask him when I come home from school to see if she has used them and what the effects have been for her.

Av & Sig Credit: Me