Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
KiraIMustBeInvisible (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Doh, I hate this stupid flu >.< It's caused nothing but freak outs at my school. Even though there has been no reported cases in Colorado, everyone is starting to yell at people because they're not washing their hands after they cough, and not running to get a tissue to sneeze in, but use a tissue to wipe their hands and then throw it away. I know these are just precautions, but I think it's really being blown out of porportion here. I haven't heard of any deaths in the U.S, and people in Mexico are most likely dying because it's very crowded, and they dont have as good of health care as the U.S does. I know it's very scary, but still, there's no need to freak out about it. Just take the simple precautions, and don't yell at people when they sneeze and don't use a stinkin' tissue Dx Ugghhh.

"Are you my mummy?" "Don't blink." "Count the shadows." "Look behind you."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Rocketship_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 6 Votes / 4.17 Average
Default 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM

My mom bought my sister and I little bottles of Germ-X to carry around with us, and she told us to be careful of anyone who acts like they might sneeze. XD

The news said that the flu seems to have a lesser affect on Americans, and the people that have contracted the virus sometimes don't even need antibiotics. They say that's why there have been over 40 cases in the US, and only two deaths.

All in all, I'm not scared of it, persay. Just... wary. XD

John Bonham
29 years gone, but never forgotten.
R.I.P.
5-31-48 - 9-25-80
We salute you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 06:08 AM

There haven't been any deaths in the US so far, but honestly it's bugging me. I know it could take the CDC ages to come up with a way to beat it, but still.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 04-29-2009 at 09:57 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Update this morning, the first US death has ocurred in Texas. It was an infant, so its immune system wouldn't have been able to handle it as well.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM

There's a couple who were honeymooning in Mexico who brought it into Britain. -.- They live in Scotland.

Scottish swine flu couple recovering | World news | guardian.co.uk

(#26 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM

WHO raises swine flu pandemic alert to phase 5 - Swine flu- msnbc.com

The alert level has now been pushed into phase 5, which mean a global outbreak of the disease being consider imminent.

Now, I must emphasize to everyone that they do not panic. Many symptoms that people believe they are feeling are actually a result of HYSTERIA! You can imagine yourself a stomach ache(which I did this morning when we discussed it in class, despite knowing that I was having a hysterical reaction), along with other minor symptoms and you symtoms may still be something else entirely. If you really do have the symptoms, which can be found on major health sites, call your DOCTOR and speak with them. They will determine if you are well enough to go out or will tell you to stay in to prevent the spreading of the disease. It is not suggested to go to the hospital(without the doctor telling you) unless symptoms are severe because you have a higher risk of exposing yourself to worse contagions.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Not to mention the fact that ordinary flu has much the same symptoms.

I used to work in a pet store around birds and went down with flu once; I went to the doctor right away and told him I was around birds, but it wasn't bird flu... it was flu flu. So if you go down with flu symptoms and are at all worried, visit a doctor right away who can put your mind at rest.

(#28 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 05:05 PM

If you go to a doctor and suspect it's a flu, now they swab your mouth to test for it. Think they do it in hospitals, too. Honestly, I think I just got over a regular flu and I don't need another and I'm tempted to stay out of school for awhile to keep myself safe. O_o

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Rocketship_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 6 Votes / 4.17 Average
Default 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Do any of you think this virus may mutate into something more deadly?

John Bonham
29 years gone, but never forgotten.
R.I.P.
5-31-48 - 9-25-80
We salute you.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM

I doubt it will become more deadly. The main source of flu deaths is usually because of comprised immune systems, which can be found in the very young, elderly, and people whose immune system is repressed(by disease or drugs). I can't say why Mexico is having a harder time since they aren't recording the demographics of deaths, but that is what usually is the case with these things.

The best thing people can do is take the proper precautions and not panic. It will probably not become "more deadly", but it can lead to pneumonia when far enough along in severe cases(which is frequent in the Mexico deaths from my understanding). Many countries are well equipped to battle the symptoms and any results from the swine flu, just like with the regular flu, so no one has any real reason to panic as long as they take the precautions and do what their doctor says if they fall ill.

Just a tidbit, most of the non-Mexican cases are mild and the people are recovering quickly. The problem in Mexico is they aren't as well-equipped as many other countries to handle these health emergencies, which is why they actually closed down many public places. If you can, I'd suggest avoiding places where you will be cramped in close with strangers or where the conditions are less than satisfactory with cleanliness(graduations, church, restaurants, etc) who could've been exposed. These are the major spreading zones for the swine flu when its spread person to person.