Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 22 Votes / 4.45 Average
Send a message via AIM to Aihana_ Send a message via MSN to Aihana_
Default I would love some opinions. - 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM

I would really like some opinions, as I am really trying to do this.
I have a skating competition coming up in a month or so, and I really want to lose some weight by then, or else I doubt I will fit into one of my dresses without looking gross, and skaters are supposed to be skinny. The problem is, I have been trying to lose some weight to be healthier and look better for a long time now. At least since September. I eat Healthy, at least I try to most of the time. This is my basic eating routine.
Breakfast: Bowl of cereal, none of that chocolate or sugar crap, or some yogurt
Lunch: Chicken cesar wrap, grapes and strawberries, and a juice box.
After school: (I will admit, I don't eat as good here) A few cookies, sometimes a rice cake or two, or whatever is lying around. Nothing like chips or pop.
SKATING
Dinner: Whatever my mother makes, I can't really control that, but I do try and take smaller portions.
After Dinner: Lately, a mango, or something healthy

I haven't had pop for a few weeks, and potato chips in over a month, and I really try and eat healthy. I skate four days a week, and I jog/run in there too. Every night before bed I do some crunches (usually around 50) and jumping jacks and things like that.
My main point is to be healthier. I am barely 5'5'' and at 145 pounds, I checked my BMI and I have a chance of being overweight. What I want to know is why I am not loosing anything since the summer when I think I should have because I didn't do anything active other than PE last year. Might I add I get PE 3/2 days a week, and I play tough, not a bench warmer here.
Any advice would be appreciated a lot. Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 02-11-2009, 11:55 PM

First and foremost, you are young and will no matter what still have some baby fat here and there. It is nothing to be ashamed about, though I must say I doubt you are overweight or even close. In fact, I even doubt your statement that you look gross in the outfit, which I am allowed to refute since I have to wear a uniform that makes me look stout and stocky(thoroughly unflattering to curves, no lie). You should not judge by those online BMI calculators, I used several and they told me I was "severely overweight" because I am 5'5" and 170-180. I also do Tae Kwon Do, danced, and have walk miles every day as well as eat healthy. These calculators fail to take into account your muscle mass(which weighs a lot more than fat) and the fat content in your body, which is probably a lot lower than you are thinking.

I know you aren't going to like what I have to say, but don't fall into that idea that you have to be a twig. It is incredibly unhealthy, as is thinking of weight as a number. Chances are you haven't "lost" weight because you are just weighing yourself rather than examining how toned you are becoming or measuring the fat. I have some things to tell you based on your food, but it has nothing to do with cutting out food, which causes weight gain rather than loss and even results in serious health problems(like iron deficiency, which I can tell you is not fun at all). Please listen to what I have to say, not just as a fellow girl, but as an athletic one at that who understands what you are going through.

First, yogurt is not a meal, it is a snack. I am guilty of this too when I am rushing, but you can't eat just yogurt. Yogurt needs to be accompanied with things like toast, oatmeal, fruit, etc. Not all of those things, but you need to realize that breakfast is extremely important and yogurt alone is starting your day off badly. Come on, your body hasn't eaten for over 12 hours and you are just going to give it that? Also, small snacks of fruit and vegetables is a good idea throughout the day(sometime between breakfast and lunch, after school, and after dinner). They are healthy for you and will help ease hunger. Also, you can combine them in interesting ways that is still good for you (peanut butter and celery, strawberries and yogurt, fruit salads, etc). Your body knows when it needs to eat, don't ignore those signs. Drink water, not juice. Water keeps you hydrated in a way that other drinks cannot, which is good considering your high activity levels.

Most important, no food is "bad" for you if you eat it in proper portions. A few cookies here and there doesn't hurt what you are doing as long as you do it in moderation. In fact, indulging in foods like that in small amounts increases your chances of success with a healthy diet because you will feel less inclined to go on binges.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 02-12-2009, 12:40 AM

I am aware that twig thin is unhealthy, I don't really strive to be stick thin, I would just rather not look like a lump on the ice :\
I have gotten bigger though, my dresses don't fit the same, I know it's probably because I am growing, but I really don't want to rip the dresses, they were hand made, and I can certainly not afford a new one.
I just want to loose a little at least, I know for a fact a lot of it IS muscle, I played soccer a lot when I was younger. Is there any exercise I can do to rid some of it around my hips?

(#4 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM

How old are you? If you're aorund thirteen or fourteen, gaining around your hiprs and growing and such is completely natural, and I doubt it can -or should- be avoided. I know its sucks that you don't want to ri those nice oufits, but what happens happens. (I remember ripping my favorite pair of jeans... I was so incredibly sad...)

Just try to do your best on the ice. Also, remember that some people just have different figures than others... if you're a young teen just getting your figure, then what looks nice on you will change. Next time you get hand-made skating dress (For you will eventually, as long as you're in skating), have the dress maker design something that flatters your figure type, and possibly have something that will stretch a bit to accomodate some growth.

Actually, eating a nice breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, so eat up in the mornings. ^^

I don't know if I've hleped any, but if you want to know more about anything I touched n here, just ask.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM

You're at that age where your hips are going to get wider. Trying to stop it is incredibly unhealthy and will result in problems, especially later in life when you decide you want kids. Hips need to widen out for that and it can causes huge problems if they don't.

You just have to accept the fact that your body is changing and your true figure is starting to show. Just please don't use the BMI calculator again, it is extremely inaccurate. My boyfriend was playing around with it and it said that 118 is a healthy weight for someone who is 5'7", which is extremely dangerous. It only takes into account the "average" weight rather than what is healthy and right now the average is dangerously low.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM

A healthy, yet filling, breakfast is porridge with banana slices. That will also, ahem, regulate you. My mum swears by it; she's a nurse and can't just rush off midmorning to snack like I can. XD

I will be the first to admit that me giving diet advice is like the blind leading the blind; I have several bad habits foodwise like eating chocolate for breakfast. XD However, my healthnut mother tells me several things which I think will help you.

If you want to snack during the day, pick naturally sweet fruit like pineapple and strawberries; they will kill sugar cravings. If you really can't stomach the thought of drinking plain water, then dilute fruit juice or sugar free squash and drink that instead. Stay off fizzy drinks; if you must have some then limit yourself to a couple a week and pick diet. When you eat your dinner, try to fill up on vegetables and only have a small portion of the main.

Sometimes your body thinks that it's hungry when in fact, it's thirsty; have a drink of water when you feel hungry and see if you still are after. Chew sugar free gum or brush your teeth to stop yourself snacking.

I also agree with Kitty on what she's saying regarding BMI; I regard them as a pile of pants cuz they keep on saying I'm overweight when I'm not; however, as a tall big hipped and busted hourglass, I guess I don't fit their numbers. -.- Just accept that you are maturing and growing into womanhood; don't try to stop it, it is very unhealthy to do so. Embrace your growing form. ^^

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 02-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Okay, well I won't trust the BMI thing now.
So there isn't anything I can do around my stomach and sides?
My chest looks grotesque enough in the dresses and I don't know what I am going to do with a bra, because I can't wear one during the performance >_>

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Cookie_Crumps (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: Not Rated
Default 02-18-2010, 06:44 AM

OK , I am sure most people HATE diets so I'm not going to say be on a diet , My brothers' professor lost I don't remember but I think 1 or 2 kg in about 2 weeks which as good . He drank A LOT of water and ate some cumbers and other healthy stuff.