Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Health Forum (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/)
-   -   Pill Swallowing (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/20306-pill-swallowing.html)

Catlover642 12-14-2008 07:44 PM

Pill Swallowing

My mother wants me to go on Accutaine, a supposedly good acne medicine for my acne. But the problem is that it only comes in pills and I can't swallow pills.

I've tried with Skittles and M&M's but I just can't swallow them! I just keep on thinking about it. I've tried with applesauce, but it is likewise.

I really need to go on this medicine, so any good ways to help me swallow pills?

Silent_Wolf 12-14-2008 07:57 PM

Have you tried topical medicines first? I'd start with those first before going onto pills for it. (I didn't even know they had pills for it. O_o)

When I take medicine of the pill sort, I take a huge gulp of something (but not so huge that it splashes everywhere when I take the pill. XD), then pop the pill in my mouth after tilting my head back a bit. Then, with the pill floating in the liquid, I swallow the tea/water/etc. Sometimes I gotta shake my head to get it down, but usually it goes down easy unless it's a horse pill. -.-

Is Accutane a large pill? O_o If it is, ask your mom if she can cut it in half so it's easier for you to take.

Catlover642 12-14-2008 08:04 PM

I'm taking Duac and Differin.

The main problem for me is that I think about it and I think I'm gunna choke. Accutaine isn't large, but it isn't small.

jordanashley 12-14-2008 08:06 PM

I also feel like I'm going to choke when I swallow a pill. If you have enough of the drink in your mouth, you shouldn't actually choke. What I do is I just get a lot of the drink in my mouth and then I swallow it. It's a lot easier with a lot of water or something.

Silent_Wolf 12-14-2008 08:12 PM

You might want to make sure they're not interfering with each other, the Duac and Differin; I'd suggest letting them out of your sytem first after a couple of weeks, trying one on its own, stopping for a few weeks, then trying the other. Mind you, I'm not a doctor, but I used Duac and one other facial acne treatment and they messed with each other horribly to the point it wouldn't clear up my acne when it popped up again.

As for the pill, as long as it's not a gel capsule, you can still chop it in half if you feel it's too large to swallow. M&Ms and Skittles are pretty close to the horse-pill range of pill sizes, so trying to swallow those whole to get yourself used to it isn't going to help much.

I know how it feels though; I had to start taking ibuprofin and cold medicines in pill form when I turned twelve and I actually threw up a couple times because the pill would get lodged due to me not swallowing right. That's how I came up with the Water/Drink In Mouth Then Swallow Pill With Head Tilted Backward thing.

Catlover642 12-14-2008 08:15 PM

Good plan.

I really need to go on this medicine, so we will see what will happen.

And, mistakes can lead to great findings! :lol:

LadyBast0911 12-14-2008 08:21 PM

I have a hard time taking pills as well, so I use this liquid medicine measurer thingy (I have a picture for you) to help throw it down my throat. Just put water up to about 2 mL (you can adjust it to your needs) and then hold your tongue if it keeps blocking your throat and then flip it into your mouth. It pretty much forces it down your throat and I have never choked once on it. Felt like it but never have.

Crappy Picture XD

Catlover642 12-14-2008 08:33 PM

Is this something I can find at a drugstore?

Xx_Pixie_Dust_xX 12-14-2008 08:37 PM

You could also crush the pill between two spoons or something and add it to a drink.(Like water.) That is what my mom does when she takes Advil sometimes.

iluvdolphin6 12-14-2008 08:57 PM

i cant swallow pills either....when i do, i end up swallowing the water, and the pill is still in my mouth, and when i do, i get a lump in my throat, and then i start panicking bc it feels like im choking.....im a drama-queen....