Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
cwer (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 20 Votes / 4.15 Average
Default 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM

Ghaa;; when I was like 3 I didin't care about needles. They didn't bother me one bit. But I HATE them now. I passed out at a police fair thing when they drew blood from me. My mom was freaking out because she is a total worry wort. Good thing it was at a police fair xD.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 01-06-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm never ever ever taking a jab from a primitive needle again now that a more efficient, less painful one has been invented. They're frigging SORE. And I think even the numb feeling of it going under your skin if you've been given a painkiller is almost worse than the pain if not. *shiiiveer*

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
delly1 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 19 Votes / 4.53 Average
Send a message via MSN to delly1
Default 03-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda_ View Post
I've always had a phobia of needles. Last time I had to go to the dentist, I was hyperventilating and crying cuz I was so scared. But I knew I had to have the shot, so I just stuck it out.

aww<3 honestly you don't know how many times I have to hear statements like this when I get patients in. I feel soo bad when I have some one with a needle phobia in my chair. I have never been a person who likes inflicting pain on some one physically or mentally so when I see some one that scared in my chair and so valnuarble it really is upsetting. We are still being trained on how to help people cope with needle phobias and I have to say that it is the most difficult skill we have to learn in school because its pretty common, but its really hard to convince people that its for the better withotu scaring them even more.

Generally when people come to the dentist to get a procedure done that requires anesthetic they belive they are going through surgery which sadly sometimes is the case. What I have been doing which helps with more minor phobias to needles is having the syringe covered so its not seen. Its bad enough that an individual with a phobia has fear of a needle and knows there getting it but the least I can do is not blaintly put it out on the counter for them to get a good look at it.

With the patients with a more severe phobia of needles I try calmly talking to them about other things but sadly it doesn't always work. I even let them bring ipods and stuff animals for distraction but sometimes thats not even enough. Yesterday I was assisting my professor in perio-surgery( surgerical repairing of her gums) and my prof administered the anesthetic and the person wacked it right out of his hand.. The needle could of punctured him or I from that sudden movement so that was a truly scary experience for me yesterday.

I am not 100% sure if patients are overthinking whats going to happen or thye just simply don't trust us. Maybe a combo of the both. Possibley from a bad experience perhaps? Thats why we are trained in preventative dentistry and NOT restorative dentistry as being the true calling of our practice. Meaning we rather you the patient come in for a polishing some fluoride and then get a toothbrush and a toy and be on your marry way. More people would be happy to see us if that was always the case. Where as restorative dentistry always requires things being altered or restored because the natural anatomy of a mouth is unhealthy. Sadly resulting in anesthetic always being required.. Which people don't like and thats a huge reason people don't like seeing us..

I am glad some one posted this topic as it really helps my learnign to hear what I could do for my patients if they have a phobia.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Three things I don't like about doctor visits:

*Taking Blood Pressure
*Checking Throat (That stick down the throat)
*Needles (Especially Blood-Work)

I am the WORST patient E.V.E.R. I don't complain much about taking the blood pressure, I just really don't like the feeling it gives me. I have a HORRIBLE gag reflex...and I MEAN reflex. I unconscienciously swat away the doctors stick, jerk my head, choke, you name it. It's honestly quite embarassing because I don't do it on purpose. Keep in mind I'm an adult. These doctors always give me the worst of looks xD

And now to the needles. I HATE needles. Especially blood-work. I start hyperventalating. Though admittedly I have never hyperventalated fully during needle work, I HAVE hyperventalated fully before, but I start to with needle work but it's always done before I do much damage xD

Blood work freaks me out. I know it's all in my head, but I can 'feel' myself being drained. And then there's seeing the blood. O.M.G.

*shivers*

I once went in for blood work and the Nurse was concerned because I was starting to hyperventalate. She gave me some papers to read to distract me. Not helpful, it was an article about pain. X_x Meanwhile my mom is getting severly upset with me because I'm embarassing her. Gee thanks Mom, way to calm me down by making the situation more stressful.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
phantomfan12 (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: Not Rated
Default 03-20-2010, 04:54 PM

I have always hated needles, and it doesn't help now that I'm mostly anti-immunization, because they're pretty much injecting your body full of chemicals.
But anyway, back to the main topic, the last time I had to get shots was the last time I went to public school (Last year), and the crap BURNED! And all the while the nurse is going "Oh come on, it doesn't hurt." and all the while I'm thinking, "Oh yeah? If it doesn't hurt hand over the needle, and we'll see how much it 'doesn't hurt'".

So yeah, I pretty much dispise needles, the only needle that I would even think about letting touch my skin would be a syringe full of Zydrate. (For explaination of "Zydrate" see: "REPO!The Genetic Opera")

Love, Phantom, and REPO!,
Allora

Remember, remember the fifth of November.
The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot...