Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Health Forum (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/)
-   -   Giving Blood (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/health-forum/16326-giving-blood.html)

playinwlightnin 10-12-2007 07:35 PM

Giving Blood

as many of you have noticed, I have a little blinkie in my sig that says 'givblood'. You've probably figured out I am a donor. Every day some one has surgery, is in a major accident, or is very sick & requires a pint or several pints of blood. But this is not possible with out donation.
  • You must be 17 yrs old or older.
  • If you just got a tattoo wait a bout 72 hours (3 days) or more before donating.
  • You can also help lower someones hospital bill by donating blood or platelets, Platelets do take longer You also have to be there blood type (that you can find out from your doctor )
There is an 8 gauge needle involved, not my favorite part but so worth it.
8 gauge isn't painful but it is uncomfortable at first, Also you may get lightheaded or sick on your first few times donating. Ask for ice which will be placed on your chest, & back when you start feeling nauseous.

I hope for the ones who are able are inspired to donate. Something else for those of you who live in cities like Atlanta, LA, NY ect. in a few weeks Saw 4 will be out they also do a blood drive opening weekend the blood dose go out to the local hospital & facilaties that use it so go help.

& If any one would like this blikie for them self pm me.

Remember: Give Blood = Give Life

Silent_Wolf 10-12-2007 07:46 PM

I want to be a donor one day, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to because one, I'm unsure of what blood type I am, and two, I'm not sure if my heart would take it well. -__- Stupid heart problems.

I'd love to be able to donate, or at least donate plateletes. That would be better than nothing.

LadyBast0911 10-12-2007 07:48 PM

As soon as I am old enough to donate (next year) I am going to. At my school, we do a blood drive and you have to be sixteen with parent permission or older.

LilMizZC3rTify3d 10-12-2007 10:55 PM

I've donated blood ...thers always a bus infront of our school ...kids donate to skip 3 periods of class ..... lol i've done it lke 4 times n i love all the food they give yummy yum!!!!!!

N its a symbol of mutualism.... Yoiu give blood and others benefit

Then you have an absolute solid reason to why you couldn't come to class >... whoohoo for donating blood

IcePrincess48 10-12-2007 11:04 PM

I would, but I'm too young.
I proably will when I get older...
I think it's actually not painful.
well after someone is giving you a blood test and having no clue what they are doing.

There was this person that was giving me a blood test before I was getting my tonsils out and she used a HUGE neetle (bigger than my vein) and she was shoving it in my arm. I'm like "OUCH" and she's like "it's not gonna hurt." Bull sh*t. She was lying. And then my dad's standing there watching me cry (he didn't know what to do), and then he's like "YOU SHOULD TRY USING A BUTTERFLY NEEDLE" and then she's like "oh.".
And then when I'm done crying, she's like "I'm sorry...this is my first time tring on a smaller patient." I was about to say WTF? but then I'm like "why did you put a HUGE needle in my arm?". And then she's like "well....I didn't know what to do".
Lets just say my dad wasn't too happy with her...

playinwlightnin 10-12-2007 11:21 PM

I actully had a nurse once made me never want to do it again! She kept moving the needle in my arm! But I got over it & got back to donating, Its kinna fun for me. Emo's get adrenaline rushes from cutting I get it from donating.

LilMizZC3rTify3d 10-13-2007 08:25 PM

I remember when I got my first Gardasil shot a couple months back...the nurse turned around and looked for a gauze while the friggin needle was in my arm........... I was like WTF are you doing?

That had my arm hurting like a witch =)!!!!:twisted:

Stupid lady.....like seriously the needle was swirling around in the area she put it in.........:roll:

Man I still wonder how the hell did she get her degree in nursing

Miranda_ 10-13-2007 08:32 PM

My mum gives blood all the time; however, I have severe needle phobia which results in me fainting or having a panic attack so I can't do it. I'd really like to do this, as I believe in it and carry a donor card, but I just know that even seeing the needle will make me have a panic attack.

LilMizZC3rTify3d 10-13-2007 08:38 PM

Wow really?

Its kind of weird but I tend to laugh:lol: when I get draw blood or get vaccinated even though it hurts alot....

So does my older brother..... I reall yhave no idea why (there's nothing funny about it...but I just start giggling or smirking)

My Dad Hates needles like that too

When my brother was going to have surgery, they needed someone form the family to donate blood and the only ones who could donate were myself and my dad and He immediately refused :roll:so I guess I had to step up to the plate.

Miranda_ 10-13-2007 08:42 PM

Good for you. ^^ I hate needles so much, that altho I have a weak chest and really should get a flu jab, I don't. I just try and keep myself healthy so my chances of getting flu are lessened.