Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

My school takes part in blood donations, and if I were sixteen I'd take part. Though, part of my problem would be getting a nurse that knows what the heck she's doing; my creative writing teacher was telling us about the drive she went to last year for a leukemia student and the lady she got was a total IDIOT, swirling the needle around in her arm trying to get the blood in the needle; my teacher ended up with a bruise from her wrist to her shoulder when the minor hemmoraghe (sp?) the nurse caused went away.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM

There is a weight requirement and I don't meet it. I am slightly underweight so I can't donate.
I don't think I would though anyway...unless a family member needed it. They take about 1/7th of your blood and...well...thats 1/7th of your blood that isn't in your system until it builds up again...what is it, two weeks before it builds up?
I'm pretty sure I would not be able to function

A friend of mine donated and she met the weight requirement only because she was muscular...the loss of blood caused her to pass out and she was extremely ill for about a week...
scary

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm somewhat overweight, and I could probably handle it as long as I had something to keep me moving after. Like a wheelchair. XD Kidding, but I'd still donate.

May 19, 2009
I'm going with my dad in two hours to go and donate; we were just watching TV and a commercial came up about the Central Blood Bank. My dad donates blood every year, think it's because his blood type is one of the ones that's most needed, and he asked me if I ever thought about donating blood and we got to talking about his appointment today and I said I'd go too. So, that's what we're doing today. I'm a little nervous; Mom's got me all worried about passing out. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but should I be drinking water or eating something before I go so I don't pass out? >_>; I'm a sleepy person by nature so I'm a little worried.

But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silent_Wolf : 09-21-2009 at 03:10 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
booni_monkey (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Aries
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Ah! Don't worry; your doing this for a great cause. I wish I were that brave - then again, I'm underweight. xD

control yourself;
take only what
you need
from it.

a family of trees
wanted to be
haunted.
♥ MGMT.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 04-20-2009, 05:44 PM

XD I didn't get to, my blood iron's a little too low. 11.2 I think she said; probably because I'm on my period. Bad move. >>; I can go back again in 3 weeks, they're at the church place thing every Monday. I'm also gonna cut back on tea. A LOT.

Halestorm
(#26 (permalink))
Old
booni_monkey (Offline)
Candybar

Default 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Whats wrong with tea??? 0_0

control yourself;
take only what
you need
from it.

a family of trees
wanted to be
haunted.
♥ MGMT.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM

It has tannin in it, which supposedly inhibits the absorption of iron.

Halestorm
(#28 (permalink))
Old
booni_monkey (Offline)
Candybar

Default 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Ahhh! I'm gonna die! xD

I drink tea a lot. It's the end of the world. 0_0

control yourself;
take only what
you need
from it.

a family of trees
wanted to be
haunted.
♥ MGMT.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! *squeal*

I -finally- donated blood last night at the St. Thomas church; that's where the Central Blood Bank does donations in my town. And for some reason afterward, I felt great. A little lightheaded, and my fingers on my left arm were tingly because of the tourniquet thing, but I didn't experience nausea or super lightheadedness like you hear about.

My iron was finally high enough; I've been struggling since my last post in April to bring it up and it was finally a 12.9; they were allowing me a 12.5 possibly due to my height or weight or something, I didn't get the chance to ask. >.> And because I turned 17, I can officially be a donater and I'll be getting my card in a few weeks. ^_^

Donating blood is definitely a good thing - your body essentially rejuvenates itself after you donate that much blood - and I'm really glad that I was able to go with my dad to do this. ^^ The lady that did the needle in my arm knew what she was doing and I only felt a faint pinch when she put it in, and I didn't even feel it when she pulled it out. Though that was probably because of the bandage being pulled off at the same time! XD When another lady came to let me sit up, I let her know I felt a little lightheaded, and she put the chair back to a sorta slanted position and walked over to the kitchenette area, and I looked over at my dad with a 'wtf' look on my face. She told me to pick my head up, so I did, and the next thing I know I've got something SERIOUSLY COLD on my neck and I squealed a little. XD It was just a cold cloth to wake me up. It worked. XD But I had some decaf pepsi and a cookie and I was eventually on my way. The people there were all really nice. ^_^

I was rather giggly for the rest of the night, and that's one reason why I wasn't on last evening. XD Slept really good though.

Halestorm
(#30 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 07-07-2009, 07:59 AM

Oh, jeez. XD You would be all giggly, Wolfie.

Congrats! I know you've wanted to do this for a while,