Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#31 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-03-2012, 04:03 AM

I hate it when people casually use the r-word as an insult. Obviously, people use mental retardation as the politically incorrect term for pervasive developmental disorders: people with them develop at a different rate, often more slowly in certain areas than their non-PDD counterparts. For myself, socialization is still a bit of a foreign animal. I tend to say the exact wrong thing a lot, without meaning to. I suppose part of it is trying to fit: when I see a large amount of people being included because they use some form of sarcasm, I'm inclined to follow suit. But people who don't always get sarcasm probably shouldn't use it too often.

You're right about the coping methods; if only medication were cheaper (which it might actually be now...I get moody when I'm off my pills. To the point where I actually get depressed and don't feel like leaving my room. My mom has pointed out that my behavior has been terribly negative since I've been off them. not negative as in misbehaving, but negative as in spiral thinking, feeling trapped, assuming everyone hates me, that kind of thing. Not positive.)

Although, I'm inclined to think that Down's is an actual form of mental retardation. And some people on the autistic spectrum, on the low functioning end, also have an actual form of that. That's where the severe developmental delays come into play. The autistic spectrum is extremely wide.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Something I noticed with Autism, which I'm guessing is true for most mental disorders (not really sure about the right term), is that it comes with a lot of other issues as well. My brother also has behavioral issues and ADHD. So, you're probably right about the low-functioning people on the spectrum, mental retardation probably is involved, even slightly.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!