Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Health Forum The place to discuss health-related issues. This board is for informal discussions only; for personal medical concerns, see your doctor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM

When someone pursues suicide, it actually typically does not occur when they are at their worst with their depression. They tend to resolve to do it, then get "better", which is why those things can be very shocking.

Seriously though, depression is a very abused term among teens. I understand you guys feel like you are depressed, but its not that simple. If you guys are functioning, you do not have serious depression. A mild form is possible, but not something that holds you back in your life. I have had days where I have no will to do anything. I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't sleep, I just lay curled up in bed. I wasn't even really thinking in those moments, I just felt a deep hopelessness that went straight down to my core and kept me from being myself.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Rocketship_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 6 Votes / 4.17 Average
Default 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf_Kitty View Post
When someone pursues suicide, it actually typically does not occur when they are at their worst with their depression. They tend to resolve to do it, then get "better", which is why those things can be very shocking.

Seriously though, depression is a very abused term among teens. I understand you guys feel like you are depressed, but its not that simple. If you guys are functioning, you do not have serious depression. A mild form is possible, but not something that holds you back in your life. I have had days where I have no will to do anything. I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't sleep, I just lay curled up in bed. I wasn't even really thinking in those moments, I just felt a deep hopelessness that went straight down to my core and kept me from being myself.
I had days like that, they were really horrible. But, I somehow got to the point where I couldn't stand myself, and it was either help or death, so I choise the first choice, and thank God I did. I'm glad you are doing better, Kitty. ;D

John Bonham
29 years gone, but never forgotten.
R.I.P.
5-31-48 - 9-25-80
We salute you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf_Kitty View Post

Agreed. When I was at my worst point of my depression, I stayed in bed for days. I didn't eat much, I didn't shower or wash my hair, I didn't even change my clothes. I pretty much hibernated.

The credit for changing that situation goes to my mother, who dragged me out of bed and made me see a doctor. Had she not, I never would have gotten out of that hole myself.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Yeah, my mom had depression. She went to the hospital twice. First for the depression, then she ended up relapsing after she was home for a while and turned to alcohol, so she went to the hospital for that too. I agree with Kitty and Miranda, that the term "depression" is abused, and at times it's even used to seem more "cool" or more "unique". It's disgusting, to say the least.

I did not ever personally have depression, but dealing with my mother's was enough for me to have to deal with. This often made me upset, and I felt like I was alone and misunderstood, but I would NEVER say that I was "depressed". That would be unfair to people who had really felt like that.

My mom would stay in our basement (which is partially finished), and would only come up to go to the bathroom. She very VERY rarely ate (and she lost a LOT of weight, and became very fragile), and also rarely showered or changed her clothes. She obviously didn't brush her hair, or do her makeup, or any other things like that. She'd just sleep, drink wine, and smoke. All day. She'd argue with my father, and sometimes she'd leave for a couple days without telling anyone. This happened after she had a really bad case of the flu, and they ended up firing her for it. The way she tells it, it was traumatic. They ushered her into the office, and then she was fired, and they didn't even let her collect anything from her desk. They basically pushed her out the door and had the stuff sent to her later. T_T Needless to say, since that was the last straw of my mother's all ready decreasing sanity and ended up causing many troubles for my family, I sent many MANY angry letters. All over her just missing for a while with the flu! She had a doctor's note and everything!! She waited 4 hours to get that note at the hospital and it didn't effing do anything. -.-
(#45 (permalink))
Old
princessxox1 (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: Not Rated
Default 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM

i think its good that you told- who knows? things could have gotten much worse, and she might understand why you told and be really grateful for it
(#46 (permalink))
Old
KaraKupkakex (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: 5 Votes / 2.60 Average
Send a message via MSN to KaraKupkakex
Default 07-24-2009, 12:55 AM

When i was 13 turning 14 i had a hard time,cuz the way i dressed in school,Everyone called me "emo",I always tried to ignore it but it was hard. When they said it to me it gt quite annoying and i tried to tell them to stop but of coarse noone listened. I had cut my wrists one night,Becuz of it,Bullying. I told my mom and she helped me,Alot.She took me to see some consolers ,dunno how to spell.They helped me to learn to ignore it.I've been good since.But this year is hard .__.

Yoh
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Always_And_Forever_MeGeek (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM

When I was 6, my parents knew I had 'problems'. They took me to a physiologist... I was told I was bipolar. At that time I thought I was a polar bear. -_-

Now I know that I am not a polar bear. My friends abandoned me, all but two. Liz and Kurt. They were my saviors for two rough years (During which I started cutting). Both understood how being an outcast felt. Liz's mother and father were drunks, Kurt was ***, and I was bipolar. We became a close group and they helped me.

I now take medication and go to weekly appointments, to make sure I am not cutting myself any more. I have begun to get out more and feel more confidant. It is hard, trust me, but friends are like a life boat. The y will save you, even if they need saving more.

image: from google
edit: by me
(#48 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM

I feel like sharing this...

Remember how I was gone from here for a year? During that time, I was going through a major bipolar episode. When I left, or right before, I was going through a manic episode - very agitated, hyper, loud, wild... which is why I got angry and left the way I did. Maybe a month after, I went into a depressive low for a much longer period than I'm used to (between 4 and 6 months, when they usually last up to a month for me). I started turning to drugs and alcohol, instead of just trying to stay on my meds and hope for the best. Obviously, that didn't work out for me.

Getting married helped a little. I felt like someone actually cared about me. I started taking my medication again and felt like things were much better. I still have highs/lows sometimes though, so I might have to go get stronger meds. =/

I have so many mental problems that I'm almost afraid to have children. Mental illnesses run in my mum's family (she suffered from major depression, and she says my nana has had issues in the past as well - makes sense, since mental disorders appear to be somewhat hereditary), and I'm scared to pass it on to my kids. Going through what I have as a kid with my mother, and going through my own problems... I don't want my future children to go through it.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I personally have had to deal with depression my whole life, I was diagnosed when I was a yound adult, my father had it and was never treated which explains some of the strange things he used to do, I have sought treatment over the years but never stuck to counselling for more then 6 sessions, anti depressants never worked for me they only gave me severe side effects, I stopped trying meds and have just learned to deal with it or cover it up really, I have become so good at masking it that if you met me you would never know that I had it, I had to force myself to get back out into the workforce and meet new people which was really tough for me, I am now settled in my job and my co workers really like me, it has taken 5 months to really relax and be myself around people at work and I found it really hard to believe that I am a worthwhile likeable person, but I am, people reassure me day in day out just by their actions that I am a worthwhile human being and struggling all these years even today has made me stronger!
I still struggle each day to get out of bed to go to work but I know if i dont that we will suffer financially and that is enough keeps me going, I do it for my family.

(#50 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Generally I'm a pretty happy person. Although in the middle of the last school year I noticed I wasn't feeling like my peppy self. I hated going to school and only being near my friends would make me feel somewhat happy. Until they would start arguing and I just got fed up.
Basically I feel emotionless. I could sit through the most tear-jerker movie and not even shed a tear. Also since I first got my permit, I haven't been driving as much. Driving really, really, scares me. I know I have to learn, but I'd rather start out in a parking lot and work my way up from there. My parents always tease me (in public even!) about how I can't drive and won't get my license when I turn 16. It will probably be more like 17 if I continue to not practice. Their teasing makes me hate driving even more. I wish I knew what to do...