Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#311 (permalink))
Old
Lizzyluna (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM

I think the hair is ok. The shirt is nice too.

Sig by me and Daisy's tutorials
Visit my blog
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#312 (permalink))
Old
Taya17 (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 4 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default 11-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Ok I've finally gotten another doll done. ^__^' the hair I don't really care for but ah well I'm kinda half asleep while I was finishing it up.

base by glass temple

CC Welcome
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#313 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Hey, haven't seen you around in a while.

The new doll is pretty nice, but I notice you've saved it as .jpg - don't do that, it messes up the quality something awful. Use .png instead.
It's a bit difficult to see the shading on the clothes because of the bad quality, so I'm not going to comment on that, but I've got a few things to say about the hair.

First off, the shape; it looks too blocky and the hairline on the forehead is too low. Try to make the bottom of the hair more strandy, raise the hairline and make it more curved.
Also, the shading seems kind of flat; no real shadows or highlights, just lighter lines on a base shade. I find that having a light source helps with shading hair; light sources may seem complicated, but they actually make it a lot easier to decide where to put shadows and highlights.

Here's a rough sketch to show what I mean:

The light source doesn't have to be located there, of course; it can be anywhere you like. This is just an example.

Hope this helps Looking forward to seeing more dolls from you soon!

(#314 (permalink))
Old
Taya17 (Offline)
Candybar

Default 12-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the CC Elanorea. I tried to do what you said I should but I don't think it worked out like I planned.

Base: CCG (21) Fantasies

Last edited by Taya17 : 12-05-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed the doll to .png
(#315 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Hello, Taya. I just noticed you came back and updated your thread, so I figured I would give you some CC to encourage you a bit

Let's handle this piece by piece, shall we? Before you work on your next doll, you should try to ust slow down and take some time with it. I'm certain you try hard with these, but dedicating an extra hour would improve this immensely.

1. Palettes
I'm not sure why, but you don't seem to be using more than three colors? On a doll that size, you should be using around 5-6. The first color would be for outlining, the second for the beginnings of folds, third and fourth for folds, fifth as filler, and the sixth for highlights. I'd suggest trying to make some palettes using 6 colors before doing a doll. I usually just pick a color in paint, then edit it and save each color that is ten up or down in luminosity. It gets you a pretty good variation in shades.

2. Hair
I see you have strands, but your problem is basic to the palettes. Without more than 3 colours, you can't shade properly. Once you try making palettes, use your hair palette to shade. Use the first color to outline, the second to do some strands, the third to go around those strands, and so on. Also, you could work some more on the chunkyness of the hair. No ones hair looks like that. Look at your hair in the mirror. Notice how it falls along with your head. The outline should follow the outline of the base head, just like your real hair does.

3. Clothing
You chose an interesting way to shade. You should shade with the outline of the shirt basically. Also, your clothing is very chunky. I think, to start, you should outline the clothes along with the body since that's usually the best way to begin. Then, you should try to shade along with the body. It'll give you an idea of what colors should fall where.

I hope that helps

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#316 (permalink))
Old
Taya17 (Offline)
Candybar

Default 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM

It's been so long since I've been on here and made a hand drawn. This one took me all morning. @_@ I think she's rather pretty. I tried shading but I don't think I did all that great. Ah well, CC is very much welcomed.

Base by KawaiiHannah: Illustration, Anime Art, CG Tutorials, Pixel Art
(#317 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Ooh nice. : D

She's cuute. ~pokes her~

Hmmn.

So first of all I'd liek to point out that folds are usually larger than that : D

Also hair is not this puffy, nor is it symmetrical. Light also does not hit peoples' heads this way. ~_~ The way it looks is that hte hair is a pillow behind her. : D

Don't forget to shade darker where the folds go in~! ^3^ Look at people more, you will see the folds and hair. : D

Also there should be shadows beneath the hair ^^ Because the light hits the hair and there is a shadow underneath ~

But it is very good : D
(#318 (permalink))
Old
Taya17 (Offline)
Candybar

Default 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM

I appreciate the CC. The way I tried to shade the hair was kinda off cause the darkest and the 3rd lightest seem to mix together when seen further away. And the dress was a last minute thing I thought of and I was never really any good at making large folds for those. I'll try harder next time and make sure I try to get it a bit more right.

(#319 (permalink))
Old
Taya17 (Offline)
Candybar

Default 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Same doll same base but I used a different program. Think I might use this new program more often. Will have another doll done soon due to the fact that I am doing this for a theater appreciation class. :3 Yay costumes. CC would be greatly appreciated.

(#320 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM

D: Hair is still not like this.

The folds are somewhat better but look somewhat awkward, and also the end of hair is not spiky; there are still no shadows beneath the hair; the clothing needs more palette colours ~__~

But it is a nice improvement and still cute. : >