Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
erivitale (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: Not Rated
Default 12-22-2012, 03:41 PM

ok i dunno if its normal to post dolls at they're in progress, but im stuck. This is my doll for the handdrawn collab; its supposed to resemble Elektra. i need some help guys! any suggestions please? I really want this one to be good.

Base: Mariiii's Dolls House - bjd

Reference :
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM

First off, you have a great start! I can really associate this with your character.

I'm guessing you want help making it look more complete/prof.?

I would make the highlights more defined by brightening them, and while I understand the concept of the abs and ****s showing through the fabric, your reference pic is fan art made by a um, excited dude. (If not then I'm thoroughly confused by the woman who drew the fan art, lol)

I would think a more fitting dress hem style would be a double slit, but a single works okay, only it looks more like a pant leg. If you want to keep the single slit hem I would suggest making the hemline ripple like this picture.

The fishnet garter is a cute touch, I like the edginess it gives the doll.

I have almost no experience with curly hair, but yours is a fabulous first try. If you would like to touch it up, I think filling inbetween the strands would be a good idea, and to add variety in your shading. For example, all the curls have the highlights on top and the shaddows on the bottom, not only is that too uniform, but it's also a bit pillowy Try more of a candy cane effect, like this. Except on the width parts of the curl do shading. If that doesn't make sense I'm sorry, but if I had a pixel example of how I'd do it I'd show you, but like I said, I've only got slim-to-none experience with curls.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Default 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM

It's easier for me to explain things like this. And I am gonna say in advance everything is meant to be constuctive.

A. The character is totally ripped, and yes a female could draw her that way too. But an evening gown no matter how tight wont conform like that. Even if it was made of spandex. You might soften the shading around her brea.sts and I personally get rid of the ab shading.
B. The bottom looks almost pleated. To the right I put in a shape you could possible use.
C. Sorry that got hard to see. You might want to go out a pixel or 2 so the dress looks more like its on top of the body, instead of pressing into the skin.
D. The line going up to the crot.ch makes the skirt look like a pant leg. Also you stopped shading different folds in the fabric and the top part of the skirt has a tube look to it.

For the hair you should add in some brighter highlights and vary the shadows and highligts so they aren't uniform. Usually the only curls that you want uniform are ringlets.

To go with more of the theme you could add jewelry to her.

I hope that helps.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie
(#14 (permalink))
Old
erivitale (Offline)
Silent

Default 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM

thank you both sooo much. i knew there were things that weren't quite right but i couldn't pick them out myself since i've been looking at it so long haha. gonna spruce it up!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
keewee (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM

I know I'm no expert but I think she is amazing! She is soooo awesome!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
erivitale (Offline)
Silent

Default 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM

take 2! softened the body contouring & shading. brightened some highlights...edited the bottom of the skirt a bit... still can't figure out how to reduce that "tube" like appearance towards the top :/

(#17 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM

You might try adding some of the skirt behind her leg, albeit hanging down rather than windblown (see your ref pic). Also, for that one odd highlight at the top of her leg, try extending and bending it...make it a y shape or something. I hope you understand what I'm saying...

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#18 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM

GASP!!! I know what it's missing to make it look like a dress instead of a pant leg!!! You need a panel of dress fabric behind the exposed leg! It would be darker colors and hardly any highlights, but it would complete the open slit look!

Sorry I'm like über excited I figured out what was missing, I couldn't for the life of me figure it out until now, lol.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
erivitale (Offline)
Silent

Default 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM

you guys are right! ah! ok gonna do that tomorrow... headin out for new years even ^_^ THANK YOU!! ta-ta!

(#20 (permalink))
Old
keewee (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 12-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Btw love the new year banner!