Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#31 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM

I think it looks great, and I thank you so much for it. =D

I have been waiting for you to post this so I could comment in detail:

THE OUTFITS. Holy crap, the outfits... Amazing. The details are fantastic. I don't even think I could detail Sora's outfit the way you did. It just shows that the little details may be time consuming, but it really makes the doll in the end.

The only CC I have is on the hair, but it's less about the shape & shading, and more about the hair palettes looking "flat" in comparison to the rest of the piece. Sora's should be a brighter brown, and Kairi's more red. I really like Sora's spiky hair though. ^_^

I can see how much effort you put in, and I appreciate it. ^_^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Yay! Glad you like it! I was thinking about making Sora's hair darker and Kairi's lighter red, but the images I went off of their hair seemed darker. Like here Google Image Result for http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/115/2/b/kingdom_hearts_Sora_by_Eduardo_13.png I guess it might be because the costumes and such change in some of the games.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Default 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM

So here's the beginnings of my collab doll. I chose Batman! And since I watched the Dark Night Rises last night I was all excited and wanted to try and finish it today. The first one is pretty basic. Second one I added accessories and such. Not really crazy about the belt, thinking about ditching it. Added a little bat to the bracelet, added pearl necklace (in the movie, even though Catwoman wears the pearls they belong to Batman.) Also changed the shoe color.

PLEASE I WOULD LIKE SOME CCs! And some tips on the shoe. I don't know what it is. Maybe the foot position, but I just can't seem to get it to look right.

(#34 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Sora's hair colour does change slightly dependent on the game, as does Kairi's, but aesthetically, brighter is usually better.

Now for the new doll...

Cute. I like the hair a lot. The only thing I can say about that is that maybe your should add more free strands?

The batman symbol as the top of the dress works well. The issue with the dress however is the shading at the bottom. I don't like pixelling this type of asymmetrical dress because the shading never seems right to me and it's difficult to explain how to fix (maybe I'll attempt and edit an image into this post later).

I'm with you with scrapping the belt, but I do like the idea of having one. Maybe a more "chain-like" belt, or even just a slightly thinner one would work better. Play around with the proportions first before completely getting rid of it and you might be able to make it work.

I was confused as to why you had one shoe, then realized you needed help with the shape. Shoes are not my favourite part either (runners I can do fine, but heels... yuck), so I won't be of much help. Just know that shoes are not such a big deal and even if it's not perfect, it won't detract from the rest of the doll. That position of foot is hard, and most of the heel won't be visible (which is the reason why it might look weird). Also, I'm not sure which colour I prefer. The gold is definitely more "Batman" though.

I like the necklace and I really like the braclet. My only issue with the necklace is that its difficult to notice. Outline it in a darker shade.

OVERALL, I am seeing so much improvement in you. Keep it up!
(#35 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 01-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Great job! I think the belt should be scraped too, but I also think something should replace it. After all, the yellow utility belt is Batmans signature item! Perhaps some type of yellow waist corset?

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Here are a couple of shoe tutorials to help you out.

Asha's Shoe Tutorial by *Icecradle on deviantART

Shoe Tutorial part 1 by ~batty-mcbats on deviantART

Shoe Tutorial part 2 by ~batty-mcbats on deviantART

(#37 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Online)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM

First off, congrats on doll of the month! You so deserved it

Second, I agree with Hayley; they way you draw hair is PHENOMENAL, but it would look more complete with a couple loose strands. Take a look at her doll thread and her tutorials; she does it really well, without drawing too much attention to them.

I also think you should change the belt, but don't scrap the idea completely; it's really part of the coloration and it helps the doll pop.

I'm a big fan of the folds in the middle of the dress; way to make a tight dress that still lets her breath a bit I think the problem I have with the folds toward the bottom is that they seem to cut her off, particularly the second one from the bottom; I don't think it should reach all the way across her legs.

The bracelet is also a really nice touch, but I agree with Hayley on darkening the outline on the necklace; I can barely see it and wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

I really think the silver shoes tie the doll together more, even if the gold is more "Batman". although, it looks like your going with more of the Batman redesign that the grey-blue-black version, and I don't recall anything but black and some yellow (cause of the bat signal) in that.

This is just a minor thing, and it may not even be necessary, but did you already shade the base under her hair? And if so, can you do the same where her clothes and accessories hit? It helps take away the pasted on look, but this already looks very nice and not at all pasted. I'd also consider adding a strip of the back of her dress (a few pixels thick) under what we see in the front because it is asymmetrical (so a small wedge I guess is what I see).

Overall, this doll is fantastic and really only needs a few minor tweaks to make it look more complete. You've caught on, and you'v caught on fast! Kudos!

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM

I think you have a really great start. Just a few things (which you can take or leave):

The pearl necklace is a great idea, but it is really hard to see. You should add some shadows underneath it on the skin so it stands out more.

I like the idea of the belt, but you might try a different shape. The one you have looks a bit tubey. Maybe something more square, or you could look up fashion belts on google to get some inspiration.

For the shoe. You might try just doing a simple front view of a pump. Here is the way that would look. It's much easier than side or 3/4 view. All you have to do is draw the shape and add/delete pixels as needed on the foot.

Also I agree with Bridie about shading under the hair and skin. For the bracelet you might actually ask Ness if the background of the finished image is going to be dark or light before you change it.

Well those are my thoughts.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie
(#39 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Default 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Wow! Thank you girls for all the feedback! I seriously appreciate it.

Now I took ALL of your CCs into consideration. I added shadows, loose strands, fixed the shoes, darkened necklace, changed belt, and took away a few folds.

Shoes finally came though! Yay! At least I hope you all think so too. Belt...maybe? And the folds on the bottom of the dress are my only major problem. Not quite sure what to do there.

(#40 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

It looks good. You might add one more loop on the belt, or a hanging chain. Maybe...

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie