Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM

I have to say that I prefer chibi style bases to realistic bases for dolls a lot of the time; realistic bases tend to be very large, and are difficult to doll on. Also, some have that uncanny valley thing going on... O.o

I do like your hair, Hayley; I always have trouble with hair, especially long hair. And the background is beautiful!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 03-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks for your comment as well, Miranda. Two comments, yay! =D All I had to do was threaten to kick some boot-ay.

I agree. If you guys must know, I'm not too good with pixelling on realistic bases. But don't tell anyone. So I'm not sure how I'd fair making a realistic base. If I did a realistic shape, I'd probably have to shade it realistically, in which case it wouldn't really feel like "me".

Something I do mean to start doing though is using more colours in my palette. I generally use 4-5. Outline, Shadows, Base, Highlights (and sometimes secondary highlights). I feel like I should use more, but when I do, it doesn't look as... cute? I like cute and cartoony. XD

EDIT: Okay, my version, and the edited version with flow-y hair and shaded scales. Opinions? I did turn the bright scales slightly more blue, so there's less contrast. I'm not sure if I like that better or worse either. I mean, I do like the hair on the edited one and the scales are nice too, but I kinda like my simpler version still. =/ Hm.

Last edited by TheHayleyDoll : 03-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Dang... you do underwater hair and not-crappy fins much better than me *is jelly* Love the background too.

And that portrait base you posted a while back looks really cool, I like the different facial expressions . Might have to use that someday.

(#24 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM

I'm in love with her face paint. 0.0

I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to give my preference, but I shall try to remember to post more about this after the contest is over.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Now I like the under-water hair better... But, I don't think I like the shaded fins because the shading there doesn't match with the rest of the doll.I think I'm going to edit it one more time, but enter that version JUST in the contest.

Thanks, Elanorea and LancasterPrincess! All the comments make me so happy, because no comments is just annoying.

I'm amazed you noticed the face paint. It's subtle, but I feel like it's one of those subliminal "this looks good but I don't know why" type things. xD

Elanorea, use it! I really want people to use my bases!
(#26 (permalink))
Old
owl_3 (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: Not Rated
Default 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM

You really have hair down pat Hayley
Thank you for the tutorials. Always helpful for noobs such as myself :P
I quite like your punk doll (even though I am not punk myself). Very creative and well done hair. Plus the lightning bolt is a nice touch.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Yeah, hair's my favorite part. And I'm glad you like the tutorials! I still have to post the pants/shoes, you just reminded me.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM

New base again!

This is Mojo, first set. I was planning on making a very large set of this base, but I'm tired of looking at it right now, so maybe later. I hate it so much, I seriously want to punch this base in the face. The arms and legs on the sitting one are completely effed up, and the jumping one's higher arm is bended awkwardly. I will have to edit it a little more before official release I think. The main reason for this base is because my last couple bases have been rather basic, so I wanted to make one with more dynamic poses.

If anyone wishes to use this base, feel free to edit. Remember base credit, etc, etc. More poses to come soon!

HERE are the other tutorials.

(#29 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM

I like the doll in the tutorial, but you can't see her shoes except for the very tips.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 03-22-2012, 06:26 PM

I think your mermaid is adorable, the base is awesome kudo's for that, I like the flowy hair and the colours you have chosen, and although they match really well I find it hard to see the details and shading in particular, it may just be my computer Im not quite sure, cuteee background too.
as far as your bases go stick with your simpler style it suits you dont let anyone sway you into changing your style, me personally I find it hard to draw simplistic dolls but then again thats just my style and im sticking to it, Well done!