Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   Tabby's First Hand drawn Dollz (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/23008-tabbys-first-hand-drawn-dollz.html)

TabbyCat98 07-26-2011 02:17 PM

Tabby's First Hand drawn Dollz

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first ever hand drawn doll!! it took my like an hour and a half :) Just click the pic to make it bigger :)

TabbyCat98 07-26-2011 04:20 PM

Another handrawn doll!

1 Attachment(s)
This one was hard and took like 2 hours... or less. :) click to make larger! BTW sorry for double posting! it didnt let me edit the edit the previous post ^.^

belladoggy 07-26-2011 04:27 PM

Right off the bat, something you always want to do is make sure you include base credit. Other than that, it looks like you have a decent idea of shading; I would work on making her clothes/hair less block-y; try different hems and whatnot.

TabbyCat98 07-26-2011 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops, forgot.. base is from silindor.com :) and i'll try to work on it :)

Here is another one..i was just trying to practice the dress..i know the hair is horrible, and i didnt do shoes. I'm kinda proud of my dress.
CC plz!
Base is from silindor.com btw :)

TabbyCat98 07-26-2011 08:24 PM

I also add a new one! another base from silindor! I dont like it too much :/

fantasydoll.jpg picture by ElectaCuted - Photobucket

And another! I absolutely LOVE how the doll's hair came out! -
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9263/86100988.gif
Again, base is from silindor.com. They have great bases!

Aussiemum777 07-26-2011 09:37 PM

It's great that you are trying different bases to work on and I think your dolls are really good for a first try, I dont know if you have looked at any handrawing tutorials, obviously they are a great place to start & remember practice makes perfect.
Also leaving base credit is great but a direct link to the base site is better.

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 07-26-2011 11:31 PM

I must agree with Ness here and say you definitely should have a link and not just the name. Most bases actually require links. Not meant to be mean, just a little advice to you that you should check the Terms of Use since some dollers have very specific base rules you want to be aware of so you don't get in trouble :)

Also, I'd suggest posting the images right in the thread using the insert image button when you post. Attachments sometimes don't show up right. Final little technical thing, you should always save your dolls as a .png file. Do you notice how fuzzy your early files are? Its generally from saving as a .jpg, which has a limited color palette. Saving as .png will help us to better critique and guide you!

Now, so some actual critique, your shaping is getting better as you have continued. I'd really suggest you keep working on making smooth curves as they are essential to doing things like necklines, waists, and shirt edges, not to mention jewelry and shoes. You also want to start to use more than two-three shades and practice making folds. On dolls the sizes you have been doing, you should be using 5-6 shades and using more shades will allow you to play with the shadows formed by folds and creases in clothing.

This is a really great site to check out tutorials on. Its been really helpful to many new dollers here: Watermelon Bubblegum - Tutorials

TabbyCat98 07-26-2011 11:35 PM

:)

I actually have been looking at the minidollz tutorial (forgot the first name...ninique or something) and i've been trying to follow that... :)
ty btw :)
next time i will do the direct link to the base :)

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 07-26-2011 11:39 PM

It really shows in your last doll, the hair is a huge jump from what you were doing :) Just keep up the practice, there are some great dollers here who only started dolling a little while ago, so you totally have the potential as well since you are so receptive to correcting your technique!

TabbyCat98 07-27-2011 03:49 PM

I AMO SOOO MAD!!!! When i saved the doll, it lost color info and it turned out the way it is. This doll took like 5 hours to make!!!!!!!
C:\Documents and Settings\CFY\My Documents\Doll Stuff\denimdoll.GIF
^link, just copy and paste. Something is wrong with the insert image.