Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default Kate's handdrawn dolls - 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM

here are my 1st 2 handdrawn dolls

my entry for the miss tdp2
YEY i made an entry and i am proud of it
i was going to enter the dollmaker one and not this but i have had major dolling block lately and i made this late last night and i am soooooooo proud of it so here it is

Base Link
Name: Kylie
Fairytale Represented: the Fairies
Short Explanation/Comments: Kylie is dressed up as the younger daughter and how she thinks she would look. since the mother despised the younger daugter she doesnt have any shoes. since the fairy gave her the power to drop roses pearls and diamonds from her mouth when she speaks i gave her each of those items (she is wearing the diamonds as earrings)

and the 2nd was a request as part of an art trade for a friend on DA

xdecemberxlovex's deviantART favourites

this was done for an art trade for her friend on DA

CC is greatly appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Default 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM

here is a new doll of me and my friend Lizzy

base

i like my half (purple shirt) better but i love lizzy's hair

CC is wanted and greatly appreciated thanks =]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm definitely not the authority on how to properly handdraw a doll, but it looks like you're doing what is called "pillow shading." I don't know if you've followed any tuts? Watermelon Bubblegum has some really great ones for beginners. Pillow shading is when you shad darkest to lightest from the outside in. It looks like you already have a solid grasp that clothing needs folds, which is good. I really like your Miss TDP entry.

You see what you did with the shading on the black socks? that's my favorite part of your newest doll; it looks the least pillow-y because it looks like you had light source, and you didn't shade all the way around the socks, if that makes sense. Also, the look very soft and I want to wear them ^^

I think the fact that you are attempting to shade at all is really great for a new handdrawn doller; now you just gotta find some tuts on different shading techniques so you can avoid the pillow shading; there are some great links in the tuts section of this forum

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#4 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Default 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM

thank you bridie i appreciate the CC and the socks do look soft lol
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Online)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM

I agree with Bridie; your dolls are nice, but you seem to be a) shading along the base and b) pillowshading. As for the first, it only really works to shade along the base if clothes are really tight; mostly, clothes should be drawn on to the doll at least a pixel away from the base, and more in the case of jumpers and skirts. For the second, it's an easy enough mistake to do, but can be corrected by following tutorials until you have a better grasp of how to shade.

I would recommend the following tutorials; Watermelon Bubblegum's Full Doll Tutorial and Ninique's Minidollz's Tutorials For Newbies. Both have pictures and easy to understand explanations on shading and drawing clothes, and are very simple to follow.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Default 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM

thank you both for that i will check out the tutorials =]
(#7 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Default 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

here is a new doll made for an art trade on deviant art and i am soooooo proud of it

base

it is of her character here

CC is welcome