Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   My *first* handdrawns (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/22134-my-first-handdrawns.html)

Andjelija 02-25-2010 04:20 PM

My *first* handdrawns

I gave a try at doing hand-drawns, so: here's my *first* attempt, i couldn't find a good hair tutorial, so the hair isn't good... The shoes are shaded, but, they're kind'a small, so you can't see it very well. Tell me what you think.
The link to the base

belladoggy 02-25-2010 05:35 PM

Well, I'm pretty new at it myself, but Miranda showed me this tutorial: Full Doll Tutorial

which seemed to help, also I found this one very helpful with explaining hair: P i x ** P a r a d i s e **** , combing the two techniques seems to be working for me

Andjelija 02-25-2010 06:55 PM

Thanks. That really helped. And here's another one:

Base:Deac loves you

KiraIMustBeInvisible 02-25-2010 08:54 PM

The pants and shirt look a little pillowy, but it's hard to avoid that on a small base such as that one. The hair is good, but it's hard to tell if there's any shading @~@ That may be just because it's so small >.< Also, with the strands you want to try and keep it going at a fairly even curved line(if that makes sense o.O). Like, no jagged edges or anything. The easiest way to do this is with a curve tool(at least, if you using MS paint) if you're using a different program (i.e photoshop, gimp, ect) then you just have to try your best to keep it even.

Andjelija 02-28-2010 04:24 PM

I made a new doll, and here it is, so tell me what you think.

Base: Mariiii's doll house

Edit: Here's another one i made, it's a TDP base, and i really like the way it turned out, but i don"t like the hair though.
And here's the fixed version. I don't know: is it better with the lighter pants or with the darker ones?

teamjacobrulestheschool 03-01-2010 04:02 PM

i think you did a wonderfil job but the darker pants look a litlle better in my opinon

KiraIMustBeInvisible 03-01-2010 08:44 PM

Those are pretty good! Here's my CC though

The Pants:
They look....I dunno. Pillowy doesn't seem to be the right word but I suppose it's the best one. There are no folds, and even skinny jeans (actually, ESPECIALLY skinny jeans) have folds around the knees and hips. The shading should work around those, and the highlights should go to the center, not the outside.

The Shirt:
Well, for starters, this is MUCH better than my first attempt at a doll with a large base. But where the folds are, there should be little bumps along the outside of the shirt, and the shadows and highlights should work around those. Also, the chest area seems to be outlined perfectly. You see even in very tight shirts they aren't outlined like that. The shadows seem to only follow the outline. That's a bit of a no-no. The shadows should only go where they are needed, which is under the folds and wherever else you would find shadows.

The Hair:
The outline on top looks good, but with the bangs it looks a bit messy. I don't know if that was what you were going for, but I prefer to use (if you use MS Paint) the curve tool to make the bangs. It just looks a bit neater to me (: As for the shading, I can't give much CC with that, since I fail at shading hair.

I have no CC to give on the shoes, since I can doll shoes to save my life (:

Andjelija 03-02-2010 04:29 AM

Here's another one:

Bes: Mariii's doll house

I think it's a good one. I like the hair, and the colours.

Elanorea 03-15-2010 02:53 PM

Cute colour combination, makes me think of carrots :lol:. The top is shaded nicely, but the pants look a bit pillow-y - might want to shade around the knees and add some folds. I like her hairstyle too, well done overall.

Andjelija 08-09-2010 11:50 AM

Long time since my last visit to TDP, so for my comeback i made a doll... There's a rose above her ear. Personally, i don't like the base head, but i think the dress is nice.

Base:Kawaii Hannah