Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   Bridie's First Handdrawns (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/22116-bridies-first-handdrawns.html)

belladoggy 02-19-2010 08:55 PM

Bridie's First Handdrawns

This is the first handdrawn I've actually had time to focus on. Please only comment on the hair as the shirt was a last minute thing to cover the base. I was mainly practicing drawing the hair

Base credit: .: Menta Base :. by ~SilverHealer on deviantART

KiraIMustBeInvisible 02-19-2010 09:24 PM

Wow! That's great for your first time! Here's my CC though: The hair outline shouldn't be as thick as it is. It should only be about one pixel wide. Here it looks as if it's two to three pixels wide. The shirt also looks a bit pillowy, and it appears there are no highlights or shadows. I know shadows are hard to do on a potrait base, but you gotta try! I love love love the shading on the hair! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than my first try >.< May I ask what program you use?

belladoggy 02-19-2010 09:35 PM

I used Photo editor online - Pixlr.com edit image

The reason for the outline looking like it's three pixels wide is because it is three pixel wide lol! I had trouble using the pencil tool and getting the fill tool to fill online in the outlines, so I used a size three brush, which seems to have extra shaded pixels.

I know the shirt is pillowy, but I was just throwing it together really quickly to cover the base. like I said, the hair was my priority. I used this tutorial: P i x ** P a r a d i s e ****

Miranda_ 02-20-2010 02:21 PM

Watermelon Bubblegum has much better tuts for beginning handdrawers. Libby has quite a few up; however, to start with, try her Full Doll Tutorial. It shows how to pixel a top, a skirt, hair, socks and shoes. ^^

belladoggy 02-20-2010 06:13 PM

Thank you for the reference! I tried to follow it as best I could, but I think the hair is a little on the pillow-y side. I didn't bother with the accessories (i.e hats, shoes, and socks)

Base credit: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory

Hopefully I improved slightly lol!

belladoggy 03-08-2010 09:00 PM

This is Melissa. She loves getting dressed up, and doing her hair. She is naturally a brunette, but this time, she wanted to dye her hair blonde. But her little cousin switch the labels on the blonde dye and a bottle of green dye. Now that she's finally here, she notices for the first time that her hair is bright green! She earns the nickname "Medusa" because the paparazzi think her hair looks like garden snakes.

base credit: DHF - Bases[/quote]

belladoggy 07-07-2010 01:52 AM

Base: Cora 2010 by ~blood-cocoa on deviantART

For the HD contest thread. I need to practice denim. Like, a lot. Curse my lack of attention and patience! I drew and pixeled the text myself, so I'm pretty proud of that, even if it is a little crappy...the sparkler was kind of fun too, I'm not used to drawing my own props...or using props in general...

Anyway, when I "finished" her the first time, I thought she looked incredibly patriotic. So I decided to play up that theme before actually entering her. The part I'm most happy about is the hair, but for the fringe on the right. Took forever before I finally decided to just leave it along. Also, I really like the shape of the top, but my shading leaves something to be desired. mainly in terms of highlights >.< I guess it's just that I can never find the right balance between light and dark. The shadows/highlights always seem to overwhelm the base color of my chosen palette. Oh well. That is what practice is for, no?

AaronShadows 07-12-2010 12:13 PM

Her hair looks very good, and the same goes for the top, but the shorts look a little bit like they're made of glass; the highlight lines are too straight. They should be an upside-down curve pattern. Or something. XD

belladoggy 07-17-2010 09:04 PM

Hmm, I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I attempt any form of lower-body clothing. Also, thanks! Yes, it appears that in terms of handdrawing, hair is my forte...which is why I wanted to do another portrait. Not really any other reason behind this one:

Base credit: .: Menta Base :. by ~SilverHealer on deviantART

And now for the big copy/paste from dA:

'Right, so I was fooling around with Pixlr for no reason in particular, and I decided to practice some hand-drawing. You know, why not? Anyway, around 11:30 last night, I had this really awesome semi-self portrait, and I'd thought I had saved it, but I hadn't, and I was very, very angry. It was quite honestly my best pixel work to date. So when I woke up today I decided to try again, with the same color scheme for the shirt, but instead of brown hair, I gave her blonde because I was too lazy to go get another palette out of my files. The more I worked on her, the more she started to look like Rosalie from the Twilight books. So I went with it and changed her eye color. It wasn't really supposed to be her, but it ended up looking like her, so I made an executive decision that it is her.

The gray stuff on the top of the shirt is supposed to be tulle or something else fringe-y.

Rose (C) S. Meyer'

EDIT: Since I made another doll within 48 hours, I figured I'd better just edit this rather than double-post. It's different when there are months in between dolls.

Base credit: Silindor

Copy/paste 'cause it's 4:30 in the morning:
'So, on my last doll, I lost the doll, but it inspired me to actually try to intentionally do a self-portrait.

What I love: Her hair. It looks so stranded and shiny and pretty and real (as far as pixeled dolls go, you know....). Aaand...I actually own, and have worn multiple times, the shirt I drew myself wearing, as well as the necklace and earring. Basically, this is my Indigo Jazz outfit minus the fake hair. Not that that would have been too hard, but I know zip about pixel shading updos.

What I hate: The shading on everything BUT the hair. It's better than past dolls, but my highlights are all over the place, I feel like my light source was having an identity crisis, and I fear I'm breaking one of the worst rules to break in terms of pixel-shading: does it look pillow-y to you? Or am I just paranoid?

Anyway, CC from anyone with experience in pixel shading is encouraged and welcomed!'

Also, I didn't want to even bother with pants at this point, so I literally paint bucketed the visible part of her legs black because the paints that go with that outfit are black. is anyone good at shading dark "monochromatic" things?

belladoggy 11-05-2010 11:58 PM

Oh hey, speaking of months between dolls:

For Lovie's Venetian Masks competition.
Base Credit
Based on this mask

I tried some new things...like feathers and large dolls. Probably not really ready for that jump yet, but oh well. Water won't get warm if I don't dive in. Overall, I like the general shape of the dress and the mask, but the shading is meh. It looks like a bunch of random lines that get thicker, not like fabric. At least the top part has folds, I'm proud of that. It's not clinging to her body, it's bending like real dresses do. But the hair...I love the hair. So much that I'm going to put a pic of just the hair. It turned out so amazing! But then I covered it with the mask anyway *facepalm*

CC would be great, especially for the bottom of the dress...I could really use it.