Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#41 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-25-2013, 06:54 PM

MUCH improved. I think even the top half looks better now. Great job! I feel so helpful. xD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Good, you should, cause you are xD Woo hoo!

And THAT is why I'm always a fan of CC

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM

So I was perusing the old HD contests, and there was one about redoing an old doll, so I figured, hey, why not? I'm much happier with the hair, tool shading is my friend, and the shorts don't look like glass anymore but they don't look well drawn either. I tried but they look too pillowy for my liking. Also shoes are still the bane of my existence.

Decided to use real fonts this time; the letters are Wizards Magic (probably downloaded for free from dafont.com) and the numeral is Kendric Bold.

I also changed the way I did the sparkler; I think it looks better. Though because of the base, I wasn't really able to make it look like she is solidly gripping it.

Base credit: Cora 2010 by blood-cocoa on deviantART

Last edited by belladoggy : 06-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll View Post
The rainbow hair looks as though it could have been super interesting. You should finish it.
Hey look what I FINALLY got around to finishing:

Base from Silindor

As you can see, complete overhaul of the outfit from what was it, three? years ago. (No, two. It was two years ago.)

This hair was UGHHHH and it still looks meh, but I am far happier with it than I was last time. Something about hair with multiple colors just throws me off (and I personally think that my strongest dolling is my hair drawing).

Look, real shoes! I followed Asha's tut, and she is totally right, details make ALL the difference. (Though I am aware that these are rather cartoony and perhaps a bit pillowy)

Tool shaded her shirt but everything else is pixel shaded. (Though I did cheat a bit with the glasses fill by having it on a separate layer and lowering the opacity). Denim is more difficult on non-prep sized bases :P

Her cutie mark is the decoration on the shirt, and I gave her a Wonderbolts keychain.

EDIT: I replaced this with the version where I remembered to shade under the sunglasses xD

Last edited by belladoggy : 07-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM

It's a really good attempt! I can imagine how difficult that would be. My CC would be to try and blend the colours together a bit, but I probably would have difficulty doing that myself. XD

I love the chain, and the shoes are really good! I don't think they look pillowy at all.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM

D'aw, thanks! Do you think dithering would help with blending the hair colors? I did do each triangular "block" of hair separately.

Haha, I am really happy about the shoes, truth be told. Especially considering that the last time I worked on this doll, they were a minor part of the reason I gave up (with the multicolored hair being the biggest roadblock). And I'm also glad you like the chain; as I was drawing and shading it, I got distracted by teh shiniez; really happy with how it turned out xD

(#47 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM

You could try dithering, but I'm not sure if that would totally work. Dithering between shades helps blending, but between completely different colours... Might be hard to pull off, though I'm not sure what else you could do without using more palettes between the sections of colour.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-17-2014, 02:29 PM

You know I just found out that most people just shade it all as they normally would with one color, and THEN change it in strips. Would have been smart of me xD

(#49 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Yeah, that's what I do when I add streaks, but you'd still have problems making it look blended if you did it that way. It's part of what makes multicoloured hair a challenge. It likely would have been easier to do it as one colour first though. =P
(#50 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-31-2014, 07:19 PM

Base

So I joined Glam! because I noticed a lot of the people I follow on dA are there, and I wanted to get CC from other sources so Hayley doesn't feel like I'm hogging all of her time and talent xD

Anyway, they are doing a Disney Gijinka (humanize a non-human character or object) collab over there, and I claimed Nala from The Lion King because TLK is the best <3 <3 <3 I'm also gonna do Simba since I'm only committing one character at a time, and there isn't a limit on claims. Outlines are my weakness, but thanks to continued CC from everyone, I think I am improving a bit (I can never tell how jagged they are until I finish the whole doll and people point out stray 1-pixel dips). The hair is an entirely different shading technique than anything I've ever done, and a fixed outline from my original doll.

My favorite part is the lion cub outline; does it read is my question? I think it does, but, I've also been up to my eyes in the pixels, so I never know haha.