Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#31 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Okay, added in the eyeshadow but in a lighter shade. Couldn't get the blush to look quite right so I nixed it, and deleted some of the chunky pixels in the necklace.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM

The necklace looks much better now

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM

I'm really diggin' this doll! XD The spider necklace, earrings, and web design add a Spiderman feel to it. The makeup also gives it a little extra touch.

(#34 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-22-2013, 11:42 PM

Thanks, girls

Well, this has been a long time coming...

Celia Bowen from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This is when she is auditioning for the role of the Illusionist for the Circus. Wanted to get fancier, but deadlines and the fact that I can't animate for this contest anyway means the fancy stuff (read: she literally changes the color of her dress by magic) will be done for fun later xD She's described as wearing neatly pinned brown curls beneath a small black hat with feathers that is otherwise unremarkable, a deep green strapless and sleeveless gown, and a puff sleeved jacket that she removes when the director complains she could hide stuff in it. But since the part I want to elaborate on is the part where she literally changes the color of the dress from green to black and white (to match the color scheme of the circus) by magic, I decided not to add in the jacket.

Base from Silindor

(#35 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-23-2013, 12:37 AM

The hair and the headpiece are top-notch, Bridie!

Did you want CC on the doll, or no? ... Because I have some. :P
(#36 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-23-2013, 01:05 AM

Yes, please! Always a fan of CC

(#37 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-23-2013, 01:13 AM

ALRIGHT! *thumbs up*

The outline of the dress is quite jagged. It's important to keep lines smooth so the look flowy and natural. Here's a picture:

Another place to improve would be learning how dress folds fall. The upper half of the dress is shaded well, but the bottom half should be more similar to the lower portion of your previous doll (somewhat "U" shaped folds). FYI, Dresses are something I still hate shading.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-23-2013, 01:36 AM

You're right; that looks infinitely better. I guess I didn't notice as much working on the transparent background. For the "U-shape" thing, though, would that be the same on all styles of dresses?

(#39 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-23-2013, 01:41 AM

It would be that was on flowing dresses. If one was skin-tight, then it would be much like you did the folds on this one. Loose & flowy, U shape, tight, more horizontal folds. =)
(#40 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM

I took what you said, and updated it a bit (this is why I save mt WIPs; so I can go back and make changes later even after I think I've finished a doll.) I hope you don't mind me using your updated outline as a starting point to smooth out jagged-ness. I tried to reshade it using more "u", "c", "o", and sometimes "y" shapes instead of horizontal lines. I think the top part was better on the other one, but oh well.

Also changed HSV on the base since she was looking sickly against this background in my previous post. Obviously same base