Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM

This is what I have atm for the collab; I still feel like it's missing something, though:

Base

I was thinking about adding like a pillbox hat with netting, but it looks really bad whenever I try to draw it. I was able to incorporate all the colors (the blues on his limbs) by giving her the long evening gloves. I like it, it just seems really plain to me...

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Omg, the hair is so pretty. ^_^

I agree that it's missing something... accessories or more makeup. A belt, mask (fancy, masquerade mask), necklace, or a hair accessory. The problem is that her dress covers her shoes, so that takes away one aspect of the doll that would have made it look less "plain". I am not saying you should shorten it, because I love the mermaid shilloette, but just that plainess can be an issue in those cases.

You could also brighten your red palette, which would "turn up the volume" and make it more... POW. =P

A necklace (maybe a web-like one) and a brighter red would be your best bet. The open neckline just screams for it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM

I agree with Hayley; a necklace would really set the doll off. Maybe a web design for a necklace and perhaps some spider earrings to match?

(#24 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM

I took and combined what both of you said; made dangly "net-inspired" earrings and a necklace of the logo, punched up the makeup, and toyed with the brightness/contrast of the dress; here's what I have now:

EDIT*:

Even though the necklace might not work, I'm pretty proud of myself for pixelling that by hand using minimal refs (just enough to know that there are only 6 legs usually, with two of them appearing to not actually be legs)

*EDIT: I removed the eyeshadow; any better?

Last edited by belladoggy : 12-31-2012 at 10:12 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 12-31-2012, 10:02 PM

Dress colour is much better, the accessories are cute, however I feel like I liked her better without the eye makeup. She looked more youthful.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 12-31-2012, 10:38 PM

The dress looks so much better with the extra highlights, makes a huge difference, I also like the eyeshadow on the doll it makes her look a little more interesting, the necklace is great but I feel it looks a little too big on her, a little too blocky, i think a more delicate spider web necklace would be a nice addition.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 12-31-2012, 11:52 PM

I, on the other hand, do like it better without the makeup. The makeup ages her. I do understand what Aussiemum is saying about a more delicate web necklace (that's what I had in mind when I first mentioned it) - the spider is a little big - but I understand you probably wanted to put an actual spider somewhere. XD
(#28 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 01-01-2013, 02:19 AM

Valid points xD

Well, what if I took out some of the pixels on the spider? It might clean it up a little bit...I can see the type of necklace you mean; I just can't draw it well :P

(#29 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM

I don't have a lot of tool-shading background, so I'm only stopping by to say that I love the blue-red combo. The spider legs look too chunky, and I can't see the top legs at all, so it actually looks like a beetle.

I'm the odd one out I guess, I liked the eyeshadow better, just think it needs more highlights.

I'm envious of the makeup in general. I wanted to do a mask like thing, but Hayley beat me to it, now I'm stumped on makeup for mine. Oh wells.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM

I personally like the makup better too. You might try adding a little blush to the cheeks. This is just my opinion, but I think that if you were to shade the webbing a bit instead of it being completely black it could look a little less patchwork.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie