Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KiraIMustBeInvisible (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Wow youve gotten good! But heres my CC for the dress:

The dress needs more shadows and highlights. Just a few lines of highlights and shadows isn't going to cut it o.e also it should have some shadows under the hand. And the outline of the dress seems like its darker in some spots and lighter in others.

However the folds on the top part are good! I really love the hair, and the mask, and the rosettes! Overall this is a good doll ^^

"Are you my mummy?" "Don't blink." "Count the shadows." "Look behind you."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Default 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Whew, that took a while. Megara (whose friends would call her Meg, if she had any friends) from Hercules. Cause she's pretty darn BA (she can tie her own sandals and everything!).

Base
Ref #1
Ref #2, maybe.

For the Disney contest!
Ahem. So I tried tool-shading to see if that could improve my fold making (Kira you're absolutely right, the way I was doing it just wasn't working for me), but I know it still isn't perfect. However, after I attempted to pixel the dress and got this result: , I decided it was time to abandon ship and start over. because clothing isn't supposed to look like hair.

I did A LOT of editing on the base; I tried to make her nose more angular and I gave her a smirk. then my mom kept saying she need to be thinner, so I tried to do that.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Just a quickie to practice; saying right off the bat: for the life of me, I cannot remember where I found this base. If anyone knows the link, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's called "rose base" in the filename.

Anyway, I've been thinking about entering the new HD contest, but it's been months since I've drawn anything, so I needed to practice a bit. Overall, I think it's a big step up from where I started. By the way, if anyone knows and can link me to any good shoe tutorials, I'll love you forever

ANYWAY, here's the actual doll (tool shading seems to be more successful for me when drawing clothes)

Oh! And, just to prove that I really was working during the last contest, here's as much as I finished on RD; base from Silindor

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Yeah, shoes are a toughy. I have major issues with shoes.

Your tool shading is really starting to improve!
I think a good pixel tutorial for you to reevaluate is Watermelon Bubblegum. When I first started pixeling, I looked at her tutorials and was like "lul wut?" But as you learn more and develop a better understanding of shadows and highlights, they start to make much more sense.

Okay. I'm going to try and word this so as not to pi.s.s alot of people off in misunderstanding. What helped for me is to look at a tut, like the jeans perhaps, and when you go to try using it, follow it very specifically so it's very smilar. Now I'm not saying to
A) Post this creation
or
B) Do this every time you make a doll.

The point is not to steal her pants, but to understand shading better, that way you can go ahead and try your own style.

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Ninique has a fantastic tutorial for shoes on her site; you can find it here: Newbies's Pixel Doll Tutorials : Shoes - Ninique's Minidollz

I found this tutorial on dA:

Doll Tutorial Part 3: Shoes by ~PerditaRae on deviantART

Click "Download Image" to see the tutorial in full.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM

I figure with tutorials you should try and follow very closely (possibly use a different base so it isn't exactly alike), but if you do post it to give credit to the tutorial maker saying you used their tutorial. I used tutorials to help me on at least my first five dolls, and even on some of my dolls shortly after that I'd have to reference to help with my shading. Practice makes perfect, and tutorials are an excellent way to practice. =D

I understand all the shoe hate. They're still my least favourite clothing to pixel as well. >_<

The rainbow hair looks as though it could have been super interesting. You should finish it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks, Miranda! If only there were tuts for things that aren't Mary Janes xD

Katie and Haley, I'll definitely be looking at WB again. Hopefully my attention span holds out this time, ha.

Haley, didn't you have a set of tutorials you were making? I recall looking at those when I first started dolling. I might go back and finish that hair; it was just so intimidating, you know? I might have to finagle it a bit in order to do it like I prefer to do hair.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM

I did make a set of tutorials a while back, yeah. I'm working on a new one because anything I hosting via iaza.com ended up disappearing, and I didn't back up any of those files to put on my new computer. >_> I'm nearly done the hair part of my new tutorial now. It should be up by the end of the night. I might have more than that part done, who knows. =P
(#19 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 06-01-2012, 10:45 PM

New doll; first in a while so I am a bit out of practice. All pixel-shaded, so I'm REALLY out of practice. Anyway. For the current HD contest hosted by Ness.

I do like this base, so I'm glad I had a valid excuse/reason to use it.

Base

I attempted to doll flower sandals that I own, but it is really difficult to pixel flower petals at that small a scale, and still make them distinctively flowers.
The white spots on the jeans are supposed to be paint; I'll copy-paste the story from the other thread later cause I'm too lazy to just retype it now.

I had issues with the shirt and highlights, but it got to the point where I knew that if I kept messing with it, I would never ever be satisfied so I just decided to leave it after a few tries. I was gonna pixel headphones and my i-pod, but I didn't like the way it looked so I scrapped it. Also layers are the greatest thing ever. Period.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM

This was inspired by the style used in the comic/cartoon W.I.T.C.H. (in color scheme, the symbol for "ether/quintessence", and in giving her wings). The base looks like it's a retired one from Silindor, but I'm not sure if that's exactly where it's from because is says "copyright PC"...I don't know who "PC" is. This base has been sitting on my comp for a long time, so I was excited to finally use it, but I need someone who knows the exact origin of this base so I can give proper credit.

Anyway...tooled the whole thing (plus extra pixeling to make the hair strand-y)...including the wings. This is the first time I've ever attempted tights, boots, wings, or windblown hair. The prop isn't really anything but a ball of energy, which was just scribbles, so it doesn't count. Anyway. Tried LOTS on new things here I made her eyes white because she's dealing with pure energy.