Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   My First Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/22040-my-first-hand-drawn.html)

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 01-21-2010 09:51 PM

My First Hand Drawn

1 Attachment(s)
Base by:Cartoon Dolls - Doll maker and Dress up games to dress up dolls and avatars - Making Cartoon Dolls @ TDP
I worked on this hard.

Her named Raine. She's princess of rainbows.

Miranda_ 01-22-2010 06:54 AM

OK first of all, welcome to the world of handdrawing! ^^ Now for the CC.

There doesn't seem to be any shading at all, just a gradiant. That can work, but usually as background rather than on the doll. Shaded gradiants are very difficult, and best left to the experts. If you want a great beginner's tutorial, best to go here: Dolling For Newbies Tutorials (Pixelshading tutorials) - Ninique's Minidollz There's a great step by step on starting off, then a full doll tutorial.

Second, it would be a lot easier to critique the doll if you saved her to an image host, rather than just posting an attachment. Good image host sites are Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting The best thing you can do is keep practicing. ^^

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 01-22-2010 07:52 AM

Thjanks.I'll try again.

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 01-23-2010 12:02 PM

2nd try.

I tried shading.

tinker_bell_96 01-23-2010 12:07 PM

that is a great try with shading.
the only thing i have to say is shading the hair. right now it looks like one big blob of black lol and save ur dolls as .GIF so that the quality of the doll doesnt get messed up and ur post doesnt take up a whole page but good job and keep up the good work.

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 01-24-2010 08:56 AM

Thanks for the help.

Miranda_ 01-24-2010 09:33 AM

You need to crop and transparentise your dolls; there's a tut here on how to do this.

Nice for a first try at shading; the hair needs to be stranded, and the folds need to be more organised. A good way to see how clothes fold is to look at photographs, or even your own clothes on you in the mirror. Hayley has a good, easy to follow tut on shading, found here.

You also forgot base credit; that's very important. Best thing to do is to save the site you got the base from to notepad, then you won't forget where you got the base.

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 01-24-2010 10:38 AM

Sorry I forgot credit.

Gymnita base at: Gymnita Bases - Bases in gymnastics poses - Ninique's Minidollz

noirmali 02-01-2010 05:23 PM

It is very cute for your first few dolls. I think that you should, however, crop and save as .png; it has become pixelized through other extensions.

I wish you good luck in your dolls to come.

Always_And_Forever_MeGeek 02-24-2010 08:23 AM

Okay back with some new ones.I know they're not shaded but neither is the base.

(^All bases above are princess tutu base by NessaElesar on diviantart.com)

(^Base Best Friends Base by PixelBerii on diviantart.com