Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Nissa's adorable handdrawns - 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM

ok here is my first official handdrawn doll and i must say it turned out amazing and i am soo happy with it!

base link: Chocotini on deviantART

this is for the forums contest

i did the time of february for Valentine's Day of course. i named this girl Emma and Emma has just gotten ready for the Valentine's Day Dance. she was about to walk out the door when she noticed a card had been slipped under her door. it had a big heart on the front of it and she opened it and a bunch of pink and red heart confetti came out. she read it and in big letters is said "Will you be my valentine?" and she noticed it was signed by her crush of 2 years (lol long time). it also said if yes meet me at the dance but if no you will break my heart. of course she was going to say yes but she was soo happy that her crush had finally asked her out.

plz plz plz!!!!! give me CC on how i should improve or what i should do different and i am just sooo happy with this doll! i was going to do a boy but i got frustrated with him so i decided not to lol

my fav part of this is the hair and of course the dress lol

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM

It's pretty good for a first. ^__^

The shoes are superb, they are normally the hardest to make.
The hair most definatley shows promise, although it is kinda pillow-y. :P

What are the things on the side of her neck though? o:

Check out Watermelon bubblegum for some tuts. (:

The shading on the dress looks an awful lot like mines style though. :/

baby, you got me. ♥
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM

There's a lot of promise here for your first time I'll take this piece by piece to let you know what is right, technically wrong, and how you can improve. Also, bravo for attempting a fellow(even if you gave up). They are notoriously "difficult" and many dollers don't even bother.

Hair. Now, your shaping is actually good for a first try. The outer outlining is very natural, with only a few issues here and there. There are some spots in the bun where it is sharper in shape when it should be more rounded (note the right and left sides where you start to move in again--a long line before you starting moving inwards would help this). Your inner outlining(the bangs) is the major issue. There is a bump on the right side and your outline should be smooth(I've done buns several times, maybe it would help to take a look at my more recent dolls? Just a suggestion since I do them so much and looking at other dolls can be very helpful).

I'm impressed you attempted stranding, it took me ages to do it and I'm still not crazy on the concept personally. A wider palette(with 6 colors) would be helpful for you here. When stranding, you'll want to use the next light color in the palette around it, as well as lighten the strand as you go. This is a somewhat complicated concept that I know I'm not explaining well :/

Dress. Dithering gets you major points. A lot of people don't do it and it really is necessary to get smoother shading. I'm a fiend on it, so watch someone else some along and point out that I don't use it massively or that its not necessary The outline of the bottom of your dress needs some work. It needs to be more wavy, like a real dress, right now it seems very rigid, which could work, but it needs more dropping between each level. I'll suggest waviness for now, rigid outlining is a bit more advanced and obviously I don't want to overload you. You have to basic shading concept down for the "levels", just include a bit more highlighting along the bottom portion, right now it is a bit too dark.

Also, you'll want to add folds around the waist. You know though folds in your shirt that form when you put it on? They are there for dresses too. Try adding a few lines along the waist and shading them, it will improve it a lot.

Shoes. You did a great job on them, actually. I don't have much critique, your palette here was good. The highlight could be a little lighter and having a pixel go back down before the heel doesn't flow smoothly. Just have it on the same level as the second to last or one higher to keep with the smoothness.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 01-19-2010, 06:33 AM

thanks for the help kitty i will deffinitly try to put ur help into action for my next doll lol

antimaie the shading looks similar to the one u do because i couldnt find a good dress tutorial for short dresses so i used the dress in the SS gift u made me as an example of what it should look like but that was only for a first doll i am deffinitly going to be trying different styles of shanding and using folds and things like that so i hope i could be as good as you and kitty and everyone else real soon lol

also the things on the side of her neck are earrings lol i know they look really bad haha

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM

here is my entry for lovie's forums contest

base link: http://chocotini.deviantart.com/

3 things i used:
sparkle/glitter
sceptor
snowflake (50x50 pixels)

ok so i call her Alice. her name is Alice because it has the word "ice" in it and she is an ice wintress. she is the one responsible for winter. she makes the many different snowflakes with her special sceptor. the big snowflake is her latest creation and now she has to send it out into the world with her sceptor.

CC and kudos are welcome and i think the hair is a lot better this time than the first time lol

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Horselover_101 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Default 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM

O>O wahhh you are too good!!!!! i mean your first one was amazing for a first and i love the hair on the secound one !!! and i can never get the shading right on the dresses/skirts!!!

Horselover_101 - Merry Christmas every1

(#7 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM

thanks soo much u r too kind and you should keep trying and look at tuts and u will be a pro in no time

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 01-23-2010, 01:11 PM

It is an improvement from your last one, I agree - even though your first one was much better than my first. xD

I have a couple tips that might help you. ^_^

*Shade the skin darker under the hairline and anywhere else where clothing meets the skin. This gives more DEPTH to the doll, making it look more real and almost 3-d and less like a how a paper doll would look. =D This isn't necessary for those starting out, but it's something that really improves the doll and only takes a couple seconds.

*Some of the folds are a little weird looking. The ones at the bottom look pretty good, but the midsection ones look like they aren't loose enough. Loose folds are more diagonal (/) and less horizontal (-). The angle of the folds influences the shading, so tight clothes would have horizontal folds, and baggier/looser clothes have diagonal folds (or vertical, when talking about the bottom of a dress).

*There are still some unsmoothness going on with the outlines:

See how the first curve and line are much some "smooth" looking? Try to work towards that. ^_^

*** The greatest tip of all, edit, edit, and EDIT some more! If something doesn't look right, try and fix it. Then, if it still doesn't look right, fix it again! :P Editing is the most crucial part of doll making. It's like editing an essay - a little editing can pull you from a B to an A, no problem! =D
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 01-23-2010, 01:25 PM

thanks sooo much hayley!!

i wasn't sure how to do folds around the mid section so i will try again with a doll i am making my friend

i will work on fixing the curves and "smoothness" of the lines

the second doll i spent an hour alone just editing and fixing things but thanks a lot for the advice i will take what everyone is giving me and put it in my brain lol so i can use it for my future dolls

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tinker_bell_96 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM

this is my entry for the Miss TDP2: handdrawn contest

Base Link
Name: Kylie
Fairytale Represented: the Fairies
Short Explanation/Comments: Kylie is dressed up as the younger daughter and how she thinks she would look. since the mother despised the younger daugter she doesnt have any shoes. since the fairy gave her the power to drop roses pearls and diamonds from her mouth when she speaks i gave her each of those items (she is wearing the diamonds as earrings)

CC is greatly appreciated plz

BTW this was done by my sister kate we share an account and she wanted to make an entry i just want you people to know that i didnt make it my sister did

Avi by Lovie
Sig by Lovie

Last edited by tinker_bell_96 : 07-20-2011 at 04:20 PM.