Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Sorry I had to attach the link that leads to the doll. Iaza wasn't working for me:
iaza: Free Online Image Conversion - Simple & Easy Converter (Images, Graphics, Avatars, Anime ...)

Characters: Buttercup, Blossom, Bubbles
Base: Star Girl

New Doll!!!
It's my version of the powerpuff girls, I was going to submit it in a contest on a different site but decided not to.
Anyway I decided to use identical clothes but in the different colours leaving the hair to explain most of their personalities:3
I thought Buttercup wasn't a tough name like the original so I gave her pigtails as I think of buttercups as sweet and somewhat gentle. However there is still a teensy bit of attitude in her pose.
Blossom is meant to look smart and carefree, which is why her hair is out but dead straight and neat. She's also meant to be friendly and I though that base would be best.
Lastly Bubbles I think of as a name of someone who is bubbly energetic and good at sport so she has a ponytail. I would consider her quite popular too so I attempted a side fringe as well as a side pony and the hand on hip pose.

Hope you likem can't wait to see what you all think:3

Last edited by Cheshire1996 : 10-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 01:08 AM

I love your creativity and reasoning! And I agree, Bubbles probably was the most popular, I know she was my favorite! So cute!

Next time you should try some high lights in the hair and some entricate folds and some shading. You're getting better so keep trying hard!

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM

You should also save your dolls to an image host every time, as iaza deletes files after a while. Imageshack or photobucket are best.

I agree with Lancaster; you really need to add folds and start shading properly. Your dolls aren't showing much evidence that you've even looked at the tutorials; I don't mean to sound as tho I'm being rude, but I honestly don't see much difference in your technique. Look at your own clothes in the mirror; you'll see that you have folds and wrinkles, and that the clothes have shadows, for example, under the bust and the arms. Also, clothes aren't skintight so you need to draw them at least a pixel away from the base. The same goes for the hair; it looks very pillow shaded and doesn't have enough strands.

The only thing you can do is practice; if you check out the early dolls most of the good dollers did in their threads, you'll see that we all start out the same way and improve as we go on. Even me. XD

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM

*cough*
Quote:
- Don't get rude with CC. Remember, it is supposed to be constructive criticism, not flaming! Comments like "This doll sucks!" are not useful at all. Also, it is considered polite to always mention something positive, instead of just giving a huge list of everything that's wrong with the doll.
There's nothing wrong with giving criticism, but going "You'll never improve unless you do this, this and this!" is just too harsh and, well, unnecessary. Dolling is something most people do for fun, not to be "the best" at it. Let her experiment and improve at her own pace.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude; I just plain don't see any improvement. I'll just delete my post then.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 10-04-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm working through tuts but I'm not very good at pulling that kinda stuff off, I'll try though:3
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM

I agree with Wolfie and Miranda, though. These look "pillow shaded" - a no-no in the hand drawn world. It's simply CC, not being rude. We want to help people improve.

Diagram time!!

The first is a simple doll I made a while back, as a request for antimaie. The second is that same doll using pillow shading.

Obviously, the first takes more time and effort, but it uses FOLDS and looks a lot better than the second one, mais oui?

Look over a couple more tuts, and really follow them closely in regards to how to shade folds. Pillow-shading makes clothing and hair look stiff, and unrealistic.

When you start out shading folds, they may not look incredible, but they'll look better than pillow-shading, trust me. However, the only way to improve, is to practice. My first dolls weren't terrible, but I have improve immensely since that time with a little practice and hard work - and I went through loads of tutorials. My dolls can take hours, if not longer, to get looking the way they do when I post them. So play around with folds, and you'll eventually find a style that works for you, and looks great. I have a hair and shirt tut in the Tutorial section, and Miranda had also pointed out a couple good tuts around the dolling community.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 10-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Thnks to everyone, I tried one of the tuts you suggested Miranda, the mermaid one, I'm really happy with the tail for my first go so I made it a doll plus a background and frame and such.

Don't worry I know the rest is still pretty bad but I'm getting better thanks to the tuts everyone is suggesting:3
(#19 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Aw cute, I adore mermaids! C:

Let's see, I see you attempted some highlights! The back part of her hair has a good beginning, but I think what would really help is having more colors to play around with. Have you seen the Pallettes thread in the Doll Creation area? I've got a favorite site for Patterns and Pallettes and I found it through that thread. The website is called Sparkling Ice and it's really good! You can find the Pallettes and Patterns in the Tutorials section, I think having some pre-picked color schemes could help you out a lot! Good Luck and keep working outside your comfort zone!

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!

Last edited by LancasterPrincess : 10-04-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added another link!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 10-06-2009, 05:24 AM

Sorry I keep bothering people with my dolls but here's another one. It turned into a doll version of my bestest friend. I focused mainly on the dress so please don't comment on the hair or shoes as I'm still looking over tuts.