Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Horselover_101 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default first attempt at a hand drawn doll - 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM

BASE
TUTORIAL

wanted to try and make a hand drawn doll - tried to make pants ... got fed up - this is as far as i got!!! might try to put hair but i just cant stand making pants

Horselover_101 - Merry Christmas every1

Last edited by Horselover_101 : 10-13-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM

OMG! Is that your first doll? If it is then it is the most amazing first attempt I've ever seen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM

It looks completely copied. >.<

The point of a tutorial is NOT TO DIRECTLY COPY IT. Either use a different base, play with the colours and folds, etc. That's even the exact same POSE for the base. T_T
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Horselover_101 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll View Post
It looks completely copied. >.<

The point of a tutorial is NOT TO DIRECTLY COPY IT. Either use a different base, play with the colours and folds, etc. That's even the exact same POSE for the base. T_T
Ok yes I did but really I was really trying hard on it and I know I copied it but for the first time ever making a hand drawn doll I thought it would be easier to do so so please don't hate me - next time I attempt to make one I'll play around use a different palate and use a different base

(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM

It you copy it, you're not really LEARNING. Hand drawn dolling takes a lot of trail-and-error. You can't just copy someone else's work and claim it as your own. When I pixel, by dolls take over three hours, usually. Sometimes, they end up taking quite a long time, and I may start one and not finish it for a week.

I know when you use dollmakers, you take other pieces of the doll that people all ready make, but the idea of a handdrawn is to make your own thing. Tutorials are used to show the person using it which general area is shadowed, and where the highlights go. Play around with things. In hand drawn terms, taking someone elses work and claiming it as your own is stealing, and if you change very little things, it's called Franken-dolling.

Please, do not copy other people's work. If anyone copied my work and claimed they did it themselves, I wouldn't be very happy, I'll tell you that. Luckily Mina isn't on here much anymore, because she wouldn't be pleased either.

You can use "references" (look at something, and use it to help you), but even if you do that, it shouldn't look so similar, you know what I mean? I don't hate you, I just hate it when people steal.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Horselover_101 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM

I won't do it again and I am going to take a long time (I didn't copy and paste - I just used all the same things and made it like that) [took me like 2 hours] again and I'll use a different base - one question ... I know that you know a lot about TDP so I am gonna ask you - is there any where to make hand drawn dolls on the site??

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Since this part belongs in Handdrawn Dolls, I'm moving it there.

Horselover, a good place for tutorials that's still around is P i x ** P a r a d i s e **** Plus you can find tutorials here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory Sadly my fave site for tuts is down at the moment.

But you must do what Hayley says and NOT copy. Use a different pallette and a completely different base to the one in the tutorial, then we can be sure it's definitely your own work.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm sorry. I'm good friends with Mina (or at least used to be) and one of the things that she hated most was when people copied.

This isn't exactly copied, but next time at least choose a different palette.

Ifyou can't do pants, do a skirt; skirts are often easier to find a way to shade and it's good for learning how to do folds.

EDIT: IT is nearly completely copied. Even if you repixelled it pixel by pixel it is totally completely copied when you look at it in paint, I only see a few pixels that are different.

Last edited by noirmali : 08-11-2009 at 05:03 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Horselover_101 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM

I won't do it again and again I'm sry to everyone especially Mina ... Who I apologize for copying her tutorial... I hope you guys will forgive me

(#10 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM

You still shouldn't have done it in the first place. It might be "easier" to copy it, but that's not actually YOU handdrawing then, it's just you copying something. There's not skill involved, so how can you plan on developing? I got my eye on you now, and I'm gonna make sure none of my stuff is copied.