Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#141 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Childishness would work with your character; you could have him petulantly throwing a tantrum cuz someone didn't compliment him, or sulking cuz someone made fun of him in public. In RP, I worked with a childish character for a while; he was very fun to play. XD

I'd disagree with the statement of "It's OK to like Mary Sues" simply cuz a lot of people are confused about what Mary Sue actually is. Some people say that statement referring to original characters in fanfiction, which is incorrect; I've read good fanfic where there's original characters who fit neatly into the story as tho the original author had put them there.

For example, a Harry Potter character who interacts with everyone as a regular student; says "hi" to the golden trio but isn't best friends with them; has certain skills and talents but isn't overwhelmingly perfect. Whereas a Potter Sue would be best friends with the golden trio, while being cleverer than Hermione and rivalling Harry in the hero category, while teasing Ron and getting away with it. Such characters are sickening to read about, and their Suethors really need to learn to write proper characters.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#142 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Amg.
Reminds me of this Prince of Tennis fic I read.
For some reason, the girl was a total newbie at Tennis and she transferred to Seigaku. She came into the boys' sports team instead of the girls' due to the fact that the girls didn't like her because she was so pretty and popular from her last school.
Then when she came in, she began to play Tennis for her first time and then she started off by accidentally playing a Twist Serve (advanced move, only like 4 people in the total series can do it, one of which is our epic Ryoma Echizen) and stunning all those around her. And then she started to be able to play all of the moves in two weeks that it took the -other- Tennis players like, half of their life to learn.
>__>; I didn't even read the rest of it. I was like WTF IS THIS CRAP.

What I found irritating is that in the Writer's Comments she was like "Okay I know that my character is a bit of a Mary Sue but keep reading okay its a good story anyway."

But I am slightly confused about what a Mary Sue really is. Because some Mary Sues are less...Mary Sue-ish, yet everyone jumps on them. So I dunno. Also some of my Gaian Death Eater friends are RPing with Mary Sueish charas. It's still fun. I don't mind being the only submissive epic failure there. Haha. BUT IN MY OWN WAY, EVEN I'M A MARY SUE. What type of Dark Lord allows Muggles to stay alive just because the Muggle bribes him with artwork?
<___<; I AM SPESHUL.

Hmm. I suppose Prysm could be childish. He does tend to act that way. Sulking silently. x3 But I feel like Night's a slight problem.

Uhh.
SOMEONE TEECH ME TO DRAW HANDS DARNIT

THAT'S TOM BTW. :\ AND POTTER.

I drew this last night because the Death Eater meeting was somewhat...Not Gaia appropriate and I was like GAH. I NEED FLUFF KTHX.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#143 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM

You'd have to fin an example of a Sue that you think isn't so bad but others find atrocious for me to really understand what you're talking about.

The thing with Sues is that it's a case-by-case basis; some, like that Tennis one you mentioned, need to be scrapped altogether. Some could be passable with some tweaking by the author. This is part of the reason why I'm not a HUGE fan of roleplays that have only character outlines nd not intro posts; character outlines are just outlines; the way the author portrays the character in writing has a big role to play when it comes to defining a Sue/Stu vs. a believable character, in my opinion.

Now, like Miranda said, there's a big difference between a Sue/Stu and what I label as an "exotic" character; exotic characters may have traits and/or abilities that defy the norm, but said traits/abilities are always balanced out by flaws. I can provide examples if you want...

Cute quickie. ^^ (Do NOT p3rve'rt that!) The hands aren't that bad... they just lack a certain amount of bone structure. Just study your phalanges! ('Tis a fancy word for fingers and toes...) To get a lot of the human body right, you have to understand the structure underneath... only cartoons can defy nature, and only if the artist makes it obvious that he/she is purposefully warping the features of something as opposed to lacking the knowledge to do it realistically.

(#144 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 01-21-2011, 12:03 AM

LOLOLQUICKIE--
Okay.
>W>;
*hugs Tom and Harry* D: I SRSLY DUNNO WHY I LIKE THIS PAIRING?
I CAN'T DRAW HANDDS.
URRR. The Death Eaters are still ignoring me. GRRAWWURR.

UGLY DRAWING FOR MY FRIEND. She GAVE ME 1MILLION ON GAIA.
I'm being emo.
(#145 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-22-2011, 05:04 AM

That hat looks ferocious o.o

But it looks really good! I wish I could shade skin i.i

(#146 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM

Lolthanks Cheshire, although mine's BS.
= =

15k commie with 5k tip on Gaia, for Kuratine.
I have two more to do, then I'll reopen up meh shop. :u
GRR
DON'T THESE PEOPLE GET THAT IF THEY BRIBE ME I'LL COLOUR? D<
Fail hairband, arms, dress, w/e
FYI I should've added grey shadows to the eyes. It's bothering me nao, but too late. D<

Fffff.

Last edited by noirmali : 01-26-2011 at 12:16 AM.
(#147 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM

D: Chibi commie...

Last I could get in before my freaking XP laptop broke...Which means that my XP-compatible-only tablet has now been rendered useless. >.>

Which means that I now have to do handdrawns - like, REALLY hand drawn, on paper.
/ sad face
I DUN WANNA DO TRADITIONAL ANYMOARR

Oh well.
Here's a Heavy chibi. <3 Heavy

(#148 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM

: D
(#149 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM

I <3 that hair. So shiny...

(#150 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 04-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Thankyouu. :> I try hard on the hair as always xD

Here is a WIP =3=''

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ya-d3e8eue.png