Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   Something New *My Hand Drawns* (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/20688-something-new-my-hand-drawns.html)

LancasterPrincess 02-06-2009 05:40 PM

Something New *My Hand Drawns*

Okey doke. I just started Hand Drawing last night so some CC seems to be in order. I was already told that the shading was off so I tried to fix it, let me know if I can do better or whatever, lol.

.....1st Attempt: ...................2nd Attempt: ..................3rd Attempt:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Base came from TDP

Edit: In the 3rd Attempt I tried Haley's advice and colored in the dress and started from scratch...I don't know, I still like the 2nd Attempt much better....but then again, I don't wear shirts that have horizontal creases and shading. I mostly stick to ones that are skin tight ^_^"

Xx_Pixie_Dust_xX 02-06-2009 06:04 PM

Wow! Those are very good for first hand drawns! ^^
Way better than my first attempt, and even my newer ones. xD
The animation is really good, I think some people don't think to animate their hand drawns, like me.

TheHayleyDoll 02-06-2009 06:11 PM

Have you checked out any tutorials yet? Those are always good to look over. They'll also steer you away from "base-shading".

And easy way to not base shade is that as soon as you finish the outline, colour it in with white. Then, you'll have no base inside the outline to guide your shading. You can tell you base shaded since you can see the darkness around the belly button. Look at your clothes and tell me, Can you see your belly button? I don't think it's possible to see from under your clothes, silly. xD It's a common mistake. I mean, look at my dolls. Before I tried tutorials, I used to base-shade too.

Be careful though, pillow shading is also not good. Look at this:

This is an example of what do to, and what not to do. The first one is an example of proper shading. The second is base-shading, the third is pillow shading, and the fourth is pillow shading w/ folds. Tutorials will hopefully steer you away from the not so good ones, and help you develop your own style of proper shading. You first doll is very good. I'm looking forward to big things from you. ^^

LancasterPrincess 02-06-2009 06:12 PM

Thanks! I don't think most people think to animate it either, none-the-less glitter it. I can't tell you how hard it was for me to not glitter it, lol. (You know how I am Pixie, lol). I don't know, it just seemed wrong or forbidden cause no one else does it o.0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll (Post 803822)
You can tell you base shaded since you can see the darkness around the belly button. Look at your clothes and tell me, Can you see your belly button? I don't think it's possible to see from under your clothes, silly. xD

*Looks down towards belly button* No, not right now (big comfy t-shirt), but I do have shirts that show my belly button through, like my tight strappy shirts...

I have looked at tuts and am hoping to learn a lot more! Thanks for your input!

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 02-06-2009 10:58 PM

These are excellent first attempts. What you are getting at with the shading of the third doll is correct, but if you look at the crease of the leg, there is no shadow there. There will be a light shadow there.

I'd offer critique on the hair, but I'm not good at explaining those things. I suggest looking for hair tuts, they will make a lot more sense than my rambling.

Also, one small thing related to the big bubble, then is a random crease of sorts in the middle. I feel it would look smoother like a bubble if that wasn't there, but this is an excellent attempt at pixel art as well. Keep up the good work :)

TheHayleyDoll 02-07-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancasterPrincess (Post 803823)
*Looks down towards belly button* No, not right now (big comfy t-shirt), but I do have shirts that show my belly button through, like my tight strappy shirts...

Even in a tight shirt, you can't. Unless it's painted on your body or translucent, you can't see it. I wear tight clothes, I'd know. It's not an excuse to have no folds. Also, tight clothes do have folds, just usually they're less noticable and horizontal then baggy ones.

You don't have to keep editing the original one; just keep things in mind when you do the next one. That's a pretty hard pose, and like I said earlier, it's a good start.

SkittlesXRainbow 02-07-2009 11:17 AM

wow those are good for your first

i think that you should look at some tutorials for help but that's about it

LancasterPrincess 02-07-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll (Post 804030)
Even in a tight shirt, you can't. Unless it's painted on your body or translucent, you can't see it. I wear tight clothes, I'd know. It's not an excuse to have no folds. Also, tight clothes do have folds, just usually they're less noticable and horizontal then baggy ones.

You don't have to keep editing the original one; just keep things in mind when you do the next one. That's a pretty hard pose, and like I said earlier, it's a good start.

*Goes and tries on multiple shirts*
Just to make sure it wasn't all in my head I tried on my tight shirts. All of them had a dip where my belly button was. I can admit though that a bulk of them DID have creases and folds that I was not aware of, one did not, but it's one of those pull down over your pants shirts the creases and folds were where the jeans touched the shirt.

I will look at the tuts for creases in shirts. That will be necessary since most shirts do have them.

My husband walked in on me while I was trying on the multiple shirts and he looked confused, lol. I asked him if he could see my belly button and he said yes and laughed at my ridiculous experiment :lol: .

I like to keep editing the first one though. I may never get if perfect but I feel that going on to something else would be useless in this case. A different pose has different creases. I want to learn this pose, it's cute. Plus I've nothing else to make, I'll have to wait for the next contest for a newer challenge.:mrgreen:

Thanks for your input!

P.s. I see what you mean about the bubble Kitty, that middle thing does distract from it's bubbleness, lol.

iluvdolphin6 02-07-2009 03:10 PM

^aw, those are so good!

LancasterPrincess 02-10-2009 02:56 AM

New Doll:831 *Numbers Contest*

*Does Victory Dance*

Whoot! All finished! Okey-doke, must explain first: 831 means "8 letters, 3 words, 1 meaning - I Love You" This number is very special to us (my husband and I), as well as all it's varients (138 813 318 381). Everytime the time is 1:38 or 8:13 or 8:31 and we see it, we're always sure to say I love you. And August 31st is like a second Valentines Day for us. ^_^

Anywho. That's me and my husband. I had a VERY difficult time with it. Both hair (especially mine for some reason...) was difficult. I hate pants, you can see why. I have checked out tuts for it and the hair, but failed miserably. I DID shade this time, but the stinking design faded it out even though it too is shaded. I was going to have the hearts float up and burst, but I messed up without noticing it, then 2 hours later realized that I'd eiter have to start over or do something more simple. My headache chose the latter, lol. Anywho CC and Kudos are welcome!

Base Credit